or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 1549

post #23221 of 99314
Guys, we have an entire subfora dedicated to buying and selling. To try and sell your boots/shoes here is against policy and unfair to the other sellers.

I'm not a mod, but this is getting annoying...
post #23222 of 99314
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchottie View Post

I would be willing to sell them for $475.00, and if everyone feels that is an unreasonable price, I don't know what to say... But that is until 3pm. Then back to Jcrew they go.

I'm curious why J Crew would exchange a pair of worn shoes for a new pair only because of a sizing issue. What is J Crew going to do with a worn pair of shoes?
post #23223 of 99314
Sorry in advance if this is dumb question but would a 9.5D fit similar to a 9E in width? The reason I ask is because I was at a local store looking to try on some Alden 907s (Hampton last) in a 9E and the salesman brought out a 9.5D which he said would have similar fit. I was just curious if he was just fudging it to make a sale or if there's some truth to that statement.
post #23224 of 99314
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroke5 View Post

Sorry in advance if this is dumb question but would a 9.5D fit similar to a 9E in width? The reason I ask is because I was at a local store looking to try on some Alden 907s (Hampton last) in a 9E and the salesman brought out a 9.5D which he said would have similar fit. I was just curious if he was just fudging it to make a sale or if there's some truth to that statement.

There is truth to it. I can wear both 9.5E and 10.0D in Barrie, for example.
post #23225 of 99314
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchottie View Post

MAGIC.....

FWIW J Crew is famous for generous return policies on almost all of their items. They may scrutinize Aldens or whatever a bit more but they take a lot of stuff back
post #23226 of 99314
To break up this tedious discussion, I have no choice but to post a "WAYWN - Alden Edition" photo:

Nothing exciting, just a stock #8 LWB.

467
post #23227 of 99314
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroke5 View Post

Sorry in advance if this is dumb question but would a 9.5D fit similar to a 9E in width? The reason I ask is because I was at a local store looking to try on some Alden 907s (Hampton last) in a 9E and the salesman brought out a 9.5D which he said would have similar fit. I was just curious if he was just fudging it to make a sale or if there's some truth to that statement.

He's fudging it a bit sure, but if they fit in your opinion, then they fit.

It's your call so you can't go wrong since you are the only one who can judge the fit.
post #23228 of 99314
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrown View Post

To break up this tedious discussion, I have no choice but to post a "WAYWN - Alden Edition" photo:

Truth.

Nat CXL Indy / N&F WG Sulphur Black

285
post #23229 of 99314
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrown View Post

To break up this tedious discussion, I have no choice but to post a "WAYWN - Alden Edition" photo:
Nothing exciting, just a stock #8 LWB.
467

Not "just a stock #8 LWB"

Would you say it's "just" a stock '67 vette or a '56 Porsche 550 spyder? No! Those Aldens are classic and beautiful! Nice post!
post #23230 of 99314
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

Truth.
Nat CXL Indy / N&F WG Sulphur Black
285

Wow almost look like Whiskey shell with that shine and lighting. Thats the 'cleanest' looking natural CXL i've seen yet.
post #23231 of 99314
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue collar View Post

Not "just a stock #8 LWB"
Would you say it's "just" a stock '67 vette or a '56 Porsche 550 spyder? No! Those Aldens are classic and beautiful! Nice post!

Ha, fair enough. cheers.gif
post #23232 of 99314
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroke5 View Post

Sorry in advance if this is dumb question but would a 9.5D fit similar to a 9E in width? The reason I ask is because I was at a local store looking to try on some Alden 907s (Hampton last) in a 9E and the salesman brought out a 9.5D which he said would have similar fit. I was just curious if he was just fudging it to make a sale or if there's some truth to that statement.

I have found that the two are different enough that they are not interchangeable. For my feet anyway...

I wear a 9E in Barrie and Trubalance. I once bought a pair of shell boots in 9.5D and eventually determined that they didn't work for me. Yes, the width is comparable but the length was different and they always seemed a bit off. The 9.5D was comfortable enough to wear but they looked a little weird to me and the fit was off enough for me to decide to sell them.

If you try them both on again, check to see where the shoe bends and really feel where the arch and ball of your foot is placed. It could be fine for you but it wasn't for me.
post #23233 of 99314

Here's another rookie question. I'm familiar with the Mac Method, but when you get a new pair of shells do you apply shoe cream before the first wear, or just buff the heck out of them?

post #23234 of 99314
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Tide View Post

Here's another rookie question. I'm familiar with the Mac Method, but when you get a new pair of shells do you apply shoe cream before the first wear, or just buff the heck out of them?

Neither, in my opinion. Just wear them. The heat created by moving and bending your feet as you walk will break up and spread the oils around, which should put a natural shine in your shoes.

Only buff when dirty or scratched or after drying from rain

As for cream I waited at least til I'd wore my pairs 20x or so before applying the Meltonian delicate boot/shoe cream (very sparingly)

just my 2cp

edit: Interesting story related to the above... I went on travel a couple weeks ago, and only took two pairs of shoes for a week's worth of business training: a pair of AE NSTs, and a pair of Whiskey Shell boots.

The boots were fairly dry and blotchy at the beginning of the week, but after wearing them four full days of that week, they were gleaming and natural... all this without any buffing or cream...

Another tip: simply handling your shell shoes/boots a lot will dissipate oils from your sweat glands unto the shoes, which in turn mixes and coats the shell - this is part of the reason my boots were looking nicer after a week's wear...not many people realize it, but in a pinch, rubbing your shell with bare hands can do quite a bit
post #23235 of 99314

It looks like that Meltonian cream is basically a neutral creme polish? That does put it in a similar vein to Venetian and Reno, no?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***