or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 10

post #136 of 95052
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanical pencil View Post
I've been bugging Tom at Leathersoul to do some wing-tip boots plaza last in calf but he has no plans to. Anyway, I think I might need an E width in those. Might just order them from Alden directly someday...
J. Gilbert Footwear in Seattle still have some of their plaza last calfskin wingtip boots.
post #137 of 95052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiefan View Post
Hello SF!

Long time "lurker" but first time posting.

Recently I purchased a pair of Alden Indy's in cordovan #8. To say I'm pleased with them would be an incredible understatement! I've now got the fever and think I will look for the perfect pair of black Alden lace-ups.

My question to all the Alden fans is...between the AF-43 (on the same last as the Indy's) and the Af-60's (plaza last) which boot would you choose if you mainly wanted to wear them in casual situations? (jeans, chinos, etc).

I love them both but rarely need to wear a suit so wondered what everyone would choose between the two if they wanted this to be their go-to black boot for mostly streetwear applications. Thanks.

I would take the AF-43 hands down, no comparison. But you must consider that these two boots have completely different vibes. The AF-43 comes off as a combat boot. The AF-60 is much dressier.
post #138 of 95052
do you say this because of the differences in the last (Plaza is smaller)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Harris View Post
I would take the AF-43 hands down, no comparison. But you must consider that these two boots have completely different vibes. The AF-43 comes off as a combat boot. The AF-60 is much dressier.
post #139 of 95052
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Harris View Post
I would take the AF-43 hands down, no comparison. But you must consider that these two boots have completely different vibes. The AF-43 comes off as a combat boot. The AF-60 is much dressier.

That makes me ask then...if you primarily wore OCBD's and polo's in the summer with jeans and chino's, would that still be the choice. I just don't have access to go see these boots myself. I want the one that I could wear to work (resort casual) but still rock frequently with jeans and buttondowns. Thanks!
post #140 of 95052
What kind of sole does this indy have? The heel is rubber, but what about the forefoot?
I am not sure if it is leather or not.
post #141 of 95052
its the regular Alden Indy.

the sole, i believe, is made of cork, and yes, a rubber heel
post #142 of 95052
The sole is a composite material.
post #143 of 95052
Sorry, I'm not very familiar with Alden shoes.
How durable are cork compared to rubber? Good enough for a few days of rain a year? How's the traction on it? Better than leather I presume?
post #144 of 95052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Leroy View Post


When I first got them after bugging Tom to make them over and over and over.

They look loved now.

what model/ last are those?
post #145 of 95052
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post
Sorry, I'm not very familiar with Alden shoes.
How durable are cork compared to rubber? Good enough for a few days of rain a year? How's the traction on it? Better than leather I presume?

Seems to be pretty durable.
Traction in the wet is a lot better than leather.
They're not even too bad when worn hiking in the rain although they're not ideal for that. I was on vacation in Alaska and went to see spawning salmon. Yay for dead salmon and pouring rain. But the Indy's were the only pair of suitable shoes I had.

I'd go for the ultimate Indy from Leather Soul though. They're nicer made and have the commando sole.
Of course they cost about $100 more than the standard Indy.
post #146 of 95052
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghulkhan View Post
what model/ last are those?
http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...oe-dress-boot/
post #147 of 95052
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post
Seems to be pretty durable.
Traction in the wet is a lot better than leather.
They're not even too bad when worn hiking in the rain although they're not ideal for that. I was on vacation in Alaska and went to see spawning salmon. Yay for dead salmon and pouring rain. But the Indy's were the only pair of suitable shoes I had.

I'd go for the ultimate Indy from Leather Soul though. They're nicer made and have the commando sole.
Of course they cost about $100 more than the standard Indy.

I have considered ordering from them but I am too impatient when it comes to items and from what I heard, most of the time they take a while to arrive. Plus I am going to need an EE on this one and it looks like most of their size at Leather Soul are D's. I'm not sure with sizing for these either so I want to give theShoemart.com a try since I can return and exchange them without much of a problem.

Thanks for the tip and help, it has helped me with my decision.
post #148 of 95052
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post
I have considered ordering from them but I am too impatient when it comes to items and from what I heard, most of the time they take a while to arrive. Plus I am going to need an EE on this one and it looks like most of their size at Leather Soul are D's. I'm not sure with sizing for these either so I want to give theShoemart.com a try since I can return and exchange them without much of a problem.

Thanks for the tip and help, it has helped me with my decision.

I understand about the impatient bit.
Shoe Mart is pretty good. That's where I got my 405s.

I wonder if you need the EE width though.
If you can wear Paul Smith Ricards, you might not need the EE.
For reference, I wear 11US Ricards and 10.5D Indy boots.

Try not to get hooked on the Indy though. I ended up with 5 pairs.
post #149 of 95052
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post
Try not to get hooked on the Indy though. I ended up with 5 pairs.

I'll try, but after seeing all the pics in this thread, it might just be the same as with the PS obsession.
post #150 of 95052
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***