or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 883

post #13231 of 99186
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYGGG View Post
The difference in a D width to an E width is 3/16ths of an inch. When sizing up in width the heel size also increases, for example a 9 B/D to a 9 C/E. This leaves you the possibility of the heel being too wide for you. From what you have said I would either go to a wider size or size up a 1/2 size to alleviate the width problem.
Great advice, ty. Edit: By the way, does going up a 1/2 size increase the physical width as much as staying the original size and going from D to E? In other words, as far as physical width alone is concerned, is (9D to 9.5D) = (9D to 9E) ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post
Why don't you fly to a retailer that knows what the fuck they're doing instead of asking a bunch of people on the internet what you should do? Alden in SF would be able to at least get you into a shoe one standard deviation from your true size.
I am within a standard deviation from my true size and all it took was $20 in shipping fees. But your idea of taking a plane ride to visit a shoe store is kind of charming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post
I would probably just concentrate on the bolded. I don't understand how you went from 10E to 9D.
Bad advice from a salseman combined with not being able to try on much at the two places I visited locally. When I pulled the 10E out of the box, I knew instantly there was no way. I couldn't believe how far off he was either. Sam at Context was very helpful getting me back on the right track.
post #13232 of 99186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Shoes View Post
I am within a standard deviation from my true size and all it took was $20 in shipping fees.

But your idea of taking a plane ride to visit a shoe store is kind of charming.

I've done it. And very well may do it again (hello, Hawaii...)
post #13233 of 99186
you probably need a 10EE then
post #13234 of 99186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Shoes View Post
I posted about a month ago with a pair of 10E Rough Roys that were too big for my feet. I returned them for the next-closest-down size which was a 9D. The length on the big toe seems ok but the outside of my foot feels kinda jammed and my little toes feel kinda jammed. How much will these stretch?

On my next pair of Aldens (Turbalance last) should I go up a size or just increase the width?

Also, I have a history with boots where my foot eventually bulges out the side, to the point where the outside edge of my foot falls on the little raised ridge that connects the sole to the upper (see pic), making it uncomfortable to walk and making the boot, eventually unwearable. Would going to an E width alleviate that? What is the danger in erring on the wide side?

I think you need to go back to square one, get yourself properly sized on a Brannock and go from there. 10E to 9D is a pretty large range when it comes to fitting shoes, we're basically taking shots in the dark giving you sizing advice.
post #13235 of 99186
^^ Wouldn't hurt to know my size on Brannock but I'm actually pretty damn close to figuring out my size with Alden Trubalance. 9E or 9.5D...just trying to figure out which.
post #13236 of 99186
Red brick sole blue suede longwings at Frans Boone. Some one there really likes red brick soles.
post #13237 of 99186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Shoes View Post
^^ Wouldn't hurt to know my size on Brannock but I'm actually pretty damn close to figuring out my size with Alden Trubalance. 9E or 9.5D...just trying to figure out which.

I had trouble finding my size at first as well. There is no Alden retailer within a 150 miles of where I live. I simply bought several of the same shoe in different sizes from The Shoe Mart and returned the ones that didn't fit. Of course I had to pay for all the shoes I ordered but the money was back in my account within seven days of my original order. Shoes arrive from TSM in two days, it took two days for the return shipping and the refund was processed right away.
post #13238 of 99186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Shoes View Post
^^ Wouldn't hurt to know my size on Brannock but I'm actually pretty damn close to figuring out my size with Alden Trubalance. 9E or 9.5D...just trying to figure out which.
You really need to get on a Brannock first to establish the size of your feet. Alden has over 10 different lasts that all fit a little differently and knowing your size is essential. I'd recommend staying with a retailer that has an easy return policy and a wide selection of sizes, TSM is great. Also stay away from shell until you have your size down or this could get real expensive in a hurry. Just some friendly advice and I wish you well in getting your proper fit dialed in.
post #13239 of 99186
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post
Red brick sole blue suede longwings at Frans Boone. Some one there really likes red brick soles.

I know these aren't especially unique, but fuck me they look good.
post #13240 of 99186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor View Post
I had trouble finding my size at first as well. There is no Alden retailer within a 150 miles of where I live. I simply bought several of the same shoe in different sizes from The Shoe Mart and returned the ones that didn't fit. Of course I had to pay for all the shoes I ordered but the money was back in my account within seven days of my original order. Shoes arrive from TSM in two days, it took two days for the return shipping and the refund was processed right away.

Good advice. It's kinda what I'm doing, too, just one pair at a time. Third time is gonna be a charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYGGG View Post
You really need to get on a Brannock first to establish the size of your feet. Alden has over 10 different lasts that all fit a little differently and knowing your size is essential. I'd recommend staying with a retailer that has an easy return policy and a wide selection of sizes, TSM is great. Also stay away from shell until you have your size down or this could get real expensive in a hurry. Just some friendly advice and I wish you well in getting your proper fit dialed in.

post #13241 of 99186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Shoes View Post
^^ Wouldn't hurt to know my size on Brannock but I'm actually pretty damn close to figuring out my size with Alden Trubalance. 9E or 9.5D...just trying to figure out which.
If you've narrowed it down to those two sizes, you should be OK without the Brannock on this boot, though knowing your true Brannock measurement will still help for any other lasts that you try to go on in the future. For most people in your size, both 9E and 9.5D should work, if you are sure that those are the two that you've narrowed it down to. You may like one better than the other, but either should work.
post #13242 of 99186
^^ I love common sense. Honestly, I don't think that I'll be migrating to other lasts, as Alden boots in the Trubalance are about as formal as I go. I'm not a dress shoe kind of person. Regardless, yes, knowing Brannock is probably handy, like knowing your blood type or how to skin a wild animal. You know, for when the apocalypse hits.
post #13243 of 99186
Need some help here, pretty new with aldens.

What last is this? is there another way to check the last other than looking at the soles?
Would appreciate any help!

post #13244 of 99186
Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
I know these aren't especially unique, but fuck me they look good.

I agree they look good, but how are they not especially unique? Dark blue/navy suede longwings on a brick sole? Where else can you find these now?
post #13245 of 99186
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxlfeng View Post
Need some help here, pretty new with aldens.

What last is this? is there another way to check the last other than looking at the soles?
Would appreciate any help!



Email Alden with the identifications from the inside of the shoes. I'm at about 75% as far as getting a response from them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***