or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 832

post #12466 of 98857
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrown View Post
By "appropriate for the rain" I assume you are getting at how the sole will hold up to rain (as opposed to traction, or the upper). I haven't seen any evidence that the "double waterloc" sole necessarily holds up better over time and a range of real-world conditions than a conventional double sole, let alone a double sole with topys (with comparable care, usage, etc.). My personal opinion is if it keeps my feet dry, it's fine in the rain. I have yet to see a sole spontaneously disintegrate because I stepped in a puddle.

Yeah. I meant both the sole and the upper. Alden's double leather soles are pretty hearty; as long as they get some break in, I would imagine they would be OK in rainy conditions even without topys. I also was talking about the upper, though. I prefer not to wear cordovan in the rain because of the "bubble" thing that happens to it (I know it goes away with brushing). Wearing cordovan in bad weather is probably fine on boots like the tanker or alden but I don't know how often I would want to do it with longwings, PTBs, loafers, etc
post #12467 of 98857
Please don't flame me for posting this here, but I thought I could get the best info! I recently bought a pair of timberland boot company counterpane boots, and the are a black leather. I read that they use Horween leathers. I know the leather quality is NOT as good as alden, just hoping someone can tell me best leather cleaner/conditioner or whatever I should be using to keep the leather in good shape.

I am working my way up to aldens!! But again, not trying to compare these to alden, just looking for some info on best stuff to put on the leather! Thanks again
post #12468 of 98857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post
I also was talking about the upper, though. I prefer not to wear cordovan in the rain because of the "bubble" thing that happens to it (I know it goes away with brushing). Wearing cordovan in bad weather is probably fine on boots like the tanker or alden but I don't know how often I would want to do it with longwings, PTBs, loafers, etc

Can't help you there - I feel more comfortable wearing cordovan in the rain than I do wearing calfskin because I consider it lower maintenance. I know many others feel differently. Either way, I think either is "ok" in the rain with reasonable care (letting the shoes dry thoroughly, rotation, appropriate conditioning & polishing, etc.).

I may be less fussy with my footware than most, however. As evidence, my AF53's after a recent day out and about.
LL
post #12469 of 98857
Alert!!!! Just saw a new alden boot at The J Crew store on Madison Ave. It a Plain toe boot with the same Chromexcel leather that is used on the indy 403. It also has a leather dress sole as opposed to the beefy cork sole. $460. feel free to ask Q's......
post #12470 of 98857
I don't have any, but will get some, thanks! The spots are still there after some brushing, but it seems like they have faded a little, so there is hope?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterInjax View Post
So, I assume you're sure that you removed all that you could with a damp rag? Been brushing for a bit also?
Do you have any Saphir Renovateur to try?
post #12471 of 98857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danito View Post
Alert!!!!

Just saw a new alden boot at The J Crew store on Madison Ave. It a Plain toe boot with the same Chromexcel leather that is used on the indy 403. It also has a leather dress sole as opposed to the beefy cork sole. $460.

feel free to ask Q's......

Are you sure they were Alden? I know J.Crew is now selling Crockett and Jones boots, specifically the Coniston (which is awesome), and they might be taken for Aldens. Then again, I doubt the Conistons will be selling for 460. Brown Chromexcel plain toes would be awesome.

I do have to rant: I can't stand J.Crew basically pushing all the smaller Alden retailers down the priority list. It took Moulded Shoe 14 months to receive their Modified Indy Boots (which is why I snagged them in a good fitting, but not optimal size).

J.Crew's makeups are not nearly as cool as the smaller retailers, such as Leathersoul, J.Gilbert, Alden of Carmel, Moulded Shoe, ShoeMart, Blackbird, etc., etc.
post #12472 of 98857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguls View Post
Are you sure they were Alden? I know J.Crew is now selling Crockett and Jones boots, specifically the Coniston (which is awesome), and they might be taken for Aldens. Then again, I doubt the Conistons will be selling for 460. Brown Chromexcel plain toes would be awesome. I do have to rant: I can't stand J.Crew basically pushing all the smaller Alden retailers down the priority list. It took Moulded Shoe 14 months to receive their Modified Indy Boots (which is why I snagged them in a good fitting, but not optimal size). J.Crew's makeups are not nearly as cool as the smaller retailers, such as Leathersoul, J.Gilbert, Alden of Carmel, Moulded Shoe, ShoeMart, Blackbird, etc., etc.
I don't know what they are but you can see some pictures of J.Crew's preview here (from above): http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...ostcount=12057 I agree with you, btw.
post #12473 of 98857
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post
I don't know what they are but you can see some pictures of J.Crew's preview here (from above): http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...ostcount=12057 I agree with you, btw.
There is not a chromexcel plain toe boot there; Coniston boot is the only brown leather boot shown.
post #12474 of 98857
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalet View Post
I don't have any, but will get some, thanks! The spots are still there after some brushing, but it seems like they have faded a little, so there is hope?!

Yeah, I think there is hope. However, I have several pair of shells and two pair of mine have the tiny bumps from getting slightly damp in the rain. They have now been there for about a year and I don't expect them to completely go away. They DID drastically improve over a couple months time and lots of brushing.
post #12475 of 98857
Do not like the lasts used for those J Crew boots. They look ill-fitting on the models. Do not look like Aldens to me. I'd be surprised if they were.
post #12476 of 98857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post
Yeah. I meant both the sole and the upper. Alden's double leather soles are pretty hearty; as long as they get some break in, I would imagine they would be OK in rainy conditions even without topys. I also was talking about the upper, though. I prefer not to wear cordovan in the rain because of the "bubble" thing that happens to it (I know it goes away with brushing). Wearing cordovan in bad weather is probably fine on boots like the tanker or alden but I don't know how often I would want to do it with longwings, PTBs, loafers, etc

Alden of Carmel has several calfskin options, all with Commando sole. I know there are very strong opinions as to whether or not Commando is appropriate/acceptable for a suit. I think it is acceptable in certain circumstances, but it's ultimately a personal choice. If commando sole would work for you, AOC has longwings, a couple of oxfords, and also a couple of PT boots. I have the AF89s, love them, and have worn them with a suit.
post #12477 of 98857
Quote:
Originally Posted by FENWAY View Post
^ Wearing my Crew Tobacco LWs today in the light rain....no issues. Most comfortable Aldens I own. Those WPs looked great too.

The J Crew are definitely more of a casual/business casual shoe. The WP version is darker and IMO, more suited for a suit.
post #12478 of 98857
Does anyone have a blucher in stock with antique edges that's not a wingtip? Can't seem to find something like this anywhere.

Just noticed these and they fit the bill, just a little less formal than I'm looking for.

http://www.jcrew.com/browse/popup_si...tureColor=true

Looks like a fantastic summer shoe. Still may have to pick them up.
post #12479 of 98857
Quote:
Originally Posted by astris View Post
Does anyone have a blucher in stock with antique edges that's not a wingtip? Can't seem to find something like this anywhere.

Just noticed these and they fit the bill, just a little less formal than I'm looking for.

http://www.jcrew.com/browse/popup_si...tureColor=true

Looks like a fantastic summer shoe. Still may have to pick them up.

The Indy boot is. Just saying...
post #12480 of 98857
Hey,

Just picked up my first pair of Aldens: Cordovan Cap toe color # 8.

Any words of wisdom for an Alden amateur?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***