or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 770

post #11536 of 89604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenal0 View Post
I work right across the river from the temple and could stand on my roof and hit golfballs to their roof if I could ever hit them straight enough.

Kenal0
Throwing a long spiral pass with an NFL football seems more appropriate in this case. Would have loved to take a tour of the plant but no time. Have you ever been in the Horween plant?

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #11537 of 89604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenal0 View Post
I work right across the river from the temple and could stand on my roof and hit golfballs to their roof if I could ever hit them straight enough.

Kenal0

Not something you'd want to do in the summer - I'm imagining the combination of the river and the plant make some interesting "aromatics".

I happen to drive by it almost every day and have had the pleasure of a tour hosted by Nick Horween. Fascinating place - very low-tech, labor intensive which is why their products are amazing.
post #11538 of 89604
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseHide View Post
Not something you'd want to do in the summer - I'm imagining the combination of the river and the plant make some interesting "aromatics".

I happen to drive by it almost every day and have had the pleasure of a tour hosted by Nick Horween. Fascinating place - very low-tech, labor intensive which is why their products are amazing.

I love the Horween company. They are the last and only ones in the USA producing shell cordovan, which is one of the reasons why it's so expensive these days (no competition). Did you know in the 1950s the 975 sold for like $45.? They also have to import the horse hides from Canada and France as it is not really able to be sourced in the USA.
post #11539 of 89604
[quote=Beyachad;4238728]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post
What do people think of crepe soles?

IMO I absolutely do not like Alden plantation crepe soles. They are heavy, feel almost too cushy when walking, are rather ugly looking from the side of the shoe because of the imperfections, and are certainly not for any weather except dry. I sold mine after walking (make that sliding) from the train to work on a rainy day.

Flex welt soles, on the other hand, IMO are fantastic.

I've had the opposite experience - I've worn crepe soled kudu boots all winter and I've been very happy with them. Good traction in the slop and very comfy from the get go.
post #11540 of 89604
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post
I love the Horween company. They are the last and only ones in the USA producing shell cordovan, which is one of the reasons why it's so expensive these days (no competition). Did you know in the 1950s the 975 sold for like $45.? They also have to import the horse hides from Canada and France as it is not really able to be sourced in the USA.

do you know that Coca Cola cost like $.05 in the 1950's?
post #11541 of 89604
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post
I'll try again

do people wear snuff suede w/ khakis? how is the durability of it?

I do - in fact I wear my snuff suede lwbs with khaki's (many different shades - especially nice with chocolate color), flannels (grey and dark brown), and jeans. My rule of thumb is just to not match the shade of the pant with the shoe, except for a tux and black shoes.

I find all of my suede shoes to be very durable. Just lightly brush the knapp once in a while, and spray them every 2 years with some suede / nubuck waterproofer.
LL
post #11542 of 89604
[quote=jhcam8;4238877]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyachad View Post

I've had the opposite experience - I've worn crepe soled kudu boots all winter boot and I've been very happy with them. Good traction in the slop and very comfy from the get go.

^Every 20 pages or so there is debate over the pros and cons of the Crepe sole. It's pretty much split 50/50. Personally, I like them. Yes, it makes the shoe heavier, but it is extremely comfortable on the foot. I just wish Alden would replace the leather sole with a oiled sole to increase the longevity.
post #11543 of 89604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyachad View Post

IMO I absolutely do not like Alden plantation crepe soles. They are heavy, feel almost too cushy when walking, are rather ugly looking from the side of the shoe because of the imperfections, and are certainly not for any weather except dry. I sold mine after walking (make that sliding) from the train to work on a rainy day.

Flex welt soles, on the other hand, IMO are fantastic.

I agree. I hate my crepe soled Aldens. The leather tip is horrible. It wears down in the rain and isn't set level with the rest of the sole. You get a rocking action when you walk, which contributes to the excessive toe wear.

A seriously shitty product in my opinion.
post #11544 of 89604
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post
do you know that Coca Cola cost like $.05 in the 1950's?

But was it imported from France
post #11545 of 89604
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYGGG View Post
Throwing a long spiral pass with an NFL football seems more appropriate in this case. Would have loved to take a tour of the plant but no time. Have you ever been in the Horween plant?

Yes. I got a tour from Skip Horween a few years back. I not only have 7 pair of Shell Aldens but I have 5 Aero Horsehide jackets which also came from Horween. When you speak of old world techniques and crafting, this place fits the bill.

Kenal0
post #11546 of 89604
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseHide View Post
Not something you'd want to do in the summer - I'm imagining the combination of the river and the plant make some interesting "aromatics".

I happen to drive by it almost every day and have had the pleasure of a tour hosted by Nick Horween. Fascinating place - very low-tech, labor intensive which is why their products are amazing.

My families tire business has been on the other side of the river probably almost as long as Horween has been there. Turner Tannery used to be right next to us. Between the tanneries, old tires and the river, the
odor would take some getting used to. If you work there every day, you do not notice.

Kenal0
post #11547 of 89604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenal0 View Post
My families tire business has been on the other side of the river probably almost as long as Horween has been there. Turner Tannery used to be right next to us. Between the tanneries, old tires and the river, the odor would take some getting used to. If you work there every day, you do not notice. Kenal0
I heard Horween pumps out citrus air scent out of their building so as not to upset the neighbors too much with chemical and animal hide odors.
post #11548 of 89604

cigar LWB, ravello chukka, whiskey LHS
post #11549 of 89604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenal0 View Post
Yes. I got a tour from Skip Horween a few years back. I not only have 7 pair of Shell Aldens but I have 5 Aero Horsehide jackets which also came from Horween. When you speak of old world techniques and crafting, this place fits the bill.

Kenal0

In that case, I'll not be taking you on a tour of my stables
post #11550 of 89604
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post
I love the Horween company. They are the last and only ones in the USA producing shell cordovan, which is one of the reasons why it's so expensive these days (no competition). Did you know in the 1950s the 975 sold for like $45.?.
In 1950 the average Cost of new house in the US was $8,450.00.

The average cost of a gallon of Gas was 18 cents.

All you have to do is invent a time machine and you will save yourself hundreds of dollars!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post
They also have to import the horse hides from Canada and France as it is not really able to be sourced in the USA.
This is not Horween's fault. Perhaps you could try to get the US laws changed?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***