or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 718

post #10756 of 89922
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post
#8 is different than burgundy shell used by most other brands. however, I'm not sure that makes it better, it just makes it different.
I couldn't disagree more. Have you ever seen some other burgundy shoe wear/patina as well as Alden Cordovan Color 8? Color 8 is clearly superior. Just see all the numerous blog posts about vintage Alden Color 8 shoes and how they patina so wonderfully. It's practically legendary.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #10757 of 89922
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post
I couldn't disagree more. Have you ever seen some other burgundy shoe wear/patina as well as Alden Cordovan Color 8? Color 8 is clearly superior. Just see all the numerous blog posts about vintage Alden Color 8 shoes and how they patina so wonderfully. It's practically legendary.

yes

Color 8 is not some magical unicorn of a color that patina's while other colors won't

below is a picture of 4 shoes of varying ages that were originally burgundy. the PTB, longwing, and loafer are all vintage. look at the color on the loafer compared to the others.

another shot below



post #10758 of 89922
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomx48 View Post
I know, but sometimes a deal is too good to pass up. With so many pairs of Alden's (and three more on the way), gotta mix it up once in a while.

zappos?
post #10759 of 89922
Hmm actually my experience was a little different. I thought the DB Longwing fit more true to size, rather than 1/2 size larger like the Berrie.

It's been a while since I've tried those on though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post
Pretty similar sizing. The DB being slightly narrower than the same size Barrie.
post #10760 of 89922
Regarding lasts, how do the modified, aberdeen, plaza, and hampton Alden lasts fit compared with the Barrie or Trubalance?

I find I'm an 8.5 D on the Barrier and also the Trubalance. Should I size differently for the above lasts?

Also, what are the differences between them?
post #10761 of 89922
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post
I believe it's 3/16" but don't quote me on that.


Thanks, the quote from imatlas seems to verify that as well! I'm assuming this is width only. How about the difference in length between sizes?
post #10762 of 89922
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthree View Post
Thanks, the quote from imatlas seems to verify that as well! I'm assuming this is width only. How about the difference in length between sizes?

I thought it was 3/16" all the way around. I could be mistaken though.
post #10763 of 89922
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post
Regarding lasts, how do the modified, aberdeen, plaza, and hampton Alden lasts fit compared with the Barrie or Trubalance?

I find I'm an 8.5 D on the Barrier and also the Trubalance. Should I size differently for the above lasts?

Also, what are the differences between them?

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/fitting.htm
post #10764 of 89922
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGold View Post

Thanks, that helps a bit I guess.
post #10765 of 89922
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post
Thanks, that helps a bit I guess.
There's really no substitute for trying them on, I've experienced variation between Alden shoes of the same model, and size. (I know that's not what anyone wants to hear.)
post #10766 of 89922
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post
Thanks, that helps a bit I guess.

Want an honest answer? No matter what anyone tells you on this forum you will not know how each really fits your foot until you actually have the shoes on your feet. That sizing chart is a very good rule of thumb, however, your size is going to also vary depending on arch height, heel width, toe length, etc., etc.

So your options?

1) Buy from a store with a good return policy. If not, just be prepared to lose hundreds of dollars on sizing errors (which is not uncommon around here).

2) Keep an eye on eBay for deals, so if the sizing is wrong your losses won't be quite as harsh.

3) Go to a store with a large selection and spend a few hours trying shoes on to see what works best.

I will also add another frustrating factor; it usually takes multiple wears to determine whether the last actually works on your foot.

And I know some people will be scratching their heads reading this and think I am full of shit, but just ask the guys who have been in the Alden game for a long time and I bet they would generally agree.

Remember, Alden has shoes on different lasts partly because different lasts are made for different feet.

Do some research on Alden. They got their start, and still are in the orthopedic shoe business. They are not a Nike or dare I venture to say Allen Edmonds type manufacturer that produces shoes that will pretty much work on everyones feet. It takes time to find a last that really works for you, but when you do you will be happy for years to come.

Ok, I will get off my high horse now, as it's prime and ready to be turned into some shell, haha.
post #10767 of 89922
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7 View Post
Want an honest answer? No matter what anyone tells you on this forum you will not know how each really fits your foot until you actually have the shoes on your feet. That sizing chart is a very good rule of thumb, however, your size is going to also vary depending on arch height, heel width, toe length, etc., etc.

So your options?

1) Buy from a store with a good return policy. If not, just be prepared to lose hundreds of dollars on sizing errors (which is not uncommon around here).

2) Keep an eye on eBay for deals, so if the sizing is wrong your losses won't be quite as harsh.

3) Go to a store with a large selection and spend a few hours trying shoes on to see what works best.

I will also add another frustrating factor; it usually takes multiple wears to determine whether the last actually works on your foot.

And I know some people will be scratching their heads reading this and think I am full of shit, but just ask the guys who have been in the Alden game for a long time and I bet they would generally agree.

Remember, Alden has shoes on different lasts partly because different lasts are made for different feet.

Do some research on Alden. They got their start, and still are in the orthopedic shoe business. They are not a Nike or dare I venture to say Allen Edmonds type manufacturer that produces shoes that will pretty much work on everyones feet. It takes time to find a last that really works for you, but when you do you will be happy for years to come.

Ok, I will get off my high horse now, as it's prime and ready to be turned into some shell, haha.

I own Aldens on the Barrie last and Trubalance last, both in 8.5D and both seem to fit me well. But I'm still curious how I should size for other lasts? The same or differently?
post #10768 of 89922
You're not supposed to wear every last they make -- that is the point of having different lasts.
post #10769 of 89922
There has been so many posts regarding sizing. Please do some research first...
post #10770 of 89922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
You're not supposed to wear every last they make -- that is the point of having different lasts.

I don't plan to do that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***