or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 712

post #10666 of 98942
...not sure how much truth there is to this but a friend of mine was telling me that the reason some of the European leathers are more expensive/considered of higher quality is because they don't use barbed wire to contain their cows resulting in less cosmetic scaring. It sounds a little silly to me because I can't understand why US leather manufacturers would be forced to use barbed wire but curious if any of you have heard this too.
post #10667 of 98942
Quote:
Originally Posted by glimmertwins View Post
...not sure how much truth there is to this but a friend of mine was telling me that the reason some of the European leathers are more expensive/considered of higher quality is because they don't use barbed wire to contain their cows resulting in less cosmetic scaring. It sounds a little silly to me because I can't understand why US leather manufacturers would be forced to use barbed wire but curious if any of you have heard this too.

I've also heard this.
post #10668 of 98942
does anyone know how the flex-welt unlined chukka hold's up? if anyone has used them daily wearer please post pics. i dont care what color.
post #10669 of 98942
Quote:
Originally Posted by mech IFR View Post
Are these cap toe boots only made for J.Crew? Specifically, with the perf on the cap. Does anyone else sell them?

Anyone on SF have a pair? Absolutely gorgeous IMHO.

Leather Soul has them but on plaza last. Here's my pair in the office.
post #10670 of 98942
Quote:
Originally Posted by context View Post
Leather Soul has them but on plaza last. Here's my pair in the office.

...one other difference the Jcrew ones have speedhooks. I'm wearing mine right now too.
post #10671 of 98942
These are great:
post #10672 of 98942
A little off topic but Makr put some of the Alden Shell thin flap wallets up on their site today.
Picked one up myself and also ordered a pair of Cigar Indy boots with Commando sole from Gilbert.
Too bad I don't have any money left to carry in the wallet after these purchases.

Kenal0
post #10673 of 98942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenal0 View Post
A little off topic but Makr put some of the Alden Shell thin flap wallets up on their site today.
Picked one up myself and also ordered a pair of Cigar Indy boots with Commando sole from Gilbert.
Too bad I don't have any money left to carry in the wallet after these purchases.

Kenal0

Congrats. I'm sure you will enjoy them.

Do you have a link to the ones from Gilbert? I'd like to check them out.
post #10674 of 98942
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post
Congrats. I'm sure you will enjoy them.

Do you have a link to the ones from Gilbert? I'd like to check them out.

I do not have a link from Gilbert however here is a link with a pair that are new and also worn after a few weeks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ayn/1288064564/

Kenal0
post #10675 of 98942
Quote:
Originally Posted by glimmertwins View Post
...one other difference the Jcrew ones have speedhooks. I'm wearing mine right now too.
a friend of mine was wearing the jcrew version, they look identical to the LS ones, great boot! I almost bought a pair but aldens dont fit me well
post #10676 of 98942
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnedk View Post
a friend of mine was wearing the jcrew version, they look identical to the LS ones, great boot! I almost bought a pair but aldens dont fit me well

Alden's can really fit virtually anyone if you get the proper size. They have a plethora of different sizes and widths so if you say they don't fit you well, you haven't been properly fitted.
post #10677 of 98942
sick
Quote:
Originally Posted by context View Post
Leather Soul has them but on plaza last. Here's my pair in the office.
post #10678 of 98942
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post
Alden's can really fit virtually anyone if you get the proper size. They have a plethora of different sizes and widths so if you say they don't fit you well, you haven't been properly fitted.

Bullshit. Some lasts won't fit a foot no matter how much you screw around with width and length. Sizing is really simple. Get the length right, then fit the width at the ball of your foot. If the shoe still doesn't fit, the last isn't compatible with your foot shape.

People spend way too much money and time trying to find work-arounds to get incompatible lasts to fit. It's better to walk away from a so-so fitting shoe.
post #10679 of 98942
FYI, sorry if this is a repeat post, but trying to pass on a decent deal when I find it. Alden / Orvis Aviator Boot on sale from $425 to $339. Not trying to shill for Orvis, but have had a pair for a couple years and they are wearing great. Nice Indy Boot alternative. If you ask them nicely they will usually waive shipping.
post #10680 of 98942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post
Bullshit. Some lasts won't fit a foot no matter how much you screw around with width and length. Sizing is really simple. Get the length right, then fit the width at the ball of your foot. If the shoe still doesn't fit, the last isn't compatible with your foot shape. People spend way too much money and time trying to find work-arounds to get incompatible lasts to fit. It's better to walk away from a so-so fitting shoe.
Alden does not use the same last for every shoe. Do you really think it's possible for every Alden last not to fit someone? Not real likely. Most of the time someone saying 'Aldens (or any really brand) don't fit me' is someone who tried on one pair and just gave up assuming it's the entire brand that didn't fit them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***