or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 711

post #10651 of 95062
Just popped my alden cherry. Most uncomfortable shoe I've ever experienced out of the box.
LL
post #10652 of 95062
Quote:
Originally Posted by amftx View Post
Just popped my alden cherry. Most uncomfortable shoe I've ever experienced out of the box.

I had the exact opposite thoughts when I wore my first pair of Aldens. Much more comfort than any of my AE's. Are you sure you got the right size?
post #10653 of 95062
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottPapineau View Post
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I am observing a lot of products that are hanging on by a inserting a branded component into their design. Some recent examples: Oak Street Bootmakers, MAKR, Quoddy, etc. Take away the Horween leather and the products become much less desirable. Thoughts?

they also become less good
post #10654 of 95062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor View Post
I had the exact opposite thoughts when I wore my first pair of Aldens. Much more comfort than any of my AE's. Are you sure you got the right size?

Going by what I've read over the past several months, I'd say yes. I'm a US 9.5D in most shoes, so I sized down to a 9D for barrie. Unfortunately I don't have a local place where I can go and try on Aldens.

Overall the fit is pretty good. The toe box is perfect. The problem I have is where the front piece of leather meets the rear piece in the middle/waist of the boot. The shell is fairly thick and stiff. I can feel the edges of the inner/rear piece pinching and poking the sides of my feet. If I tie a little looser it's not as bad. There's a little heel slippage as well which is why I've tied them a little tight initially.

I've only had them out for one wearing, and I'm chalking it up to needing some break in time.

I'm new to fine leather soled shoes but understand they are less flexible than most shoes. My AEs are stfff as well but there are no inner seams or edges that can be felt inside the shoe.
post #10655 of 95062
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottPapineau View Post
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I am observing a lot of products that are hanging on by a inserting a branded component into their design. Some recent examples: Oak Street Bootmakers, MAKR, Quoddy, etc. Take away the Horween leather and the products become much less desirable. Thoughts?

Do you even know what Horween is?
post #10656 of 95062
Ravello shortwings



Uploaded with ImageShack.us
post #10657 of 95062
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblegrain View Post
Do you even know what Horween is?

A leather manufacturer. What kind of question is that?
post #10658 of 95062
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterInjax View Post
Ravello shortwings



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I really really like those!!!!
post #10659 of 95062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor View Post
I really really like those!!!!

Thanks Pastor. I first saw these on LS's site and of course they were sold out. Was lucky enough to get these off of B&S.
post #10660 of 95062
Quote:
Originally Posted by amftx View Post
Going by what I've read over the past several months, I'd say yes. I'm a US 9.5D in most shoes, so I sized down to a 9D for barrie. Unfortunately I don't have a local place where I can go and try on Aldens.

Overall the fit is pretty good. The toe box is perfect. The problem I have is where the front piece of leather meets the rear piece in the middle/waist of the boot. The shell is fairly thick and stiff. I can feel the edges of the inner/rear piece pinching and poking the sides of my feet. If I tie a little looser it's not as bad. There's a little heel slippage as well which is why I've tied them a little tight initially.

I've only had them out for one wearing, and I'm chalking it up to needing some break in time.

I'm new to fine leather soled shoes but understand they are less flexible than most shoes. My AEs are stfff as well but there are no inner seams or edges that can be felt inside the shoe.


In the Long Wings I bought on the Barrie last I sized down a whole size. I wear a 10 D in most AE shoes although in the longer last shoes ( like the 5 last Park Avenues) I wear 9.5 E. I first tried to wear a 9.5 D in Alden and it was just too big. I went and ordered a pair of 9 D to try them on side by side and the 9 D fit perfect.

I don't have anywhere within 2.5 hours of me that carries Aldens so I had to order online.
post #10661 of 95062
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterInjax View Post
Thanks Pastor. I first saw these on LS's site and of course they were sold out. Was lucky enough to get these off of B&S.

I think I read that Tom at LeatherSoul doesn't sell Ravello, Cigar, or Whiskey Aldens to people unless they come to the physical store. I bought Cigar LWB and Ravello Wingtip boots from the Shoe Mart.

I'm going to have to keep an eye out for some more aldens in the B & S.
post #10662 of 95062
In order to value a particular good, it is important to break it down into its components and processes. I believe Alden and Horween are the models for a lot of newer designers and manufactures strive for. I would like to keep this forum about discussing relevant issues and not revert to an elitist entry dominated slander site.

pebblegrain, please refrain from being any more "that guy" than you already are.

It is time to move on and get back to talking about some shoes.

Elliott
post #10663 of 95062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor View Post
In the Long Wings I bought on the Barrie last I sized down a whole size. I wear a 10 D in most AE shoes although in the longer last shoes ( like the 5 last Park Avenues) I wear 9.5 E. I first tried to wear a 9.5 D in Alden and it was just too big. I went and ordered a pair of 9 D to try them on side by side and the 9 D fit perfect.

I don't have anywhere within 2.5 hours of me that carries Aldens so I had to order online.

Much depends on the components; e.g., shell with a double leather sole will require more break-in than, say, suede with single waterlock soles or kudu with crepe.
post #10664 of 95062
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottPapineau View Post
A leather manufacturer. What kind of question is that?
Exactly. It seems Horween and their immediate customers (i.e. leather good manufacturers/retailers) are quite successful in marketing/utilizing the "Horween" brand name, especially in the US. Partially thanks to forums like this. Marketing informations (often facts but not necessarily) spread so quickly nowadays. And also the fact that "Horween" is American. That makes a big difference in today's consumer psychology. Substitute the "Horween" name with any of the other top quality tanner brands and imagine. Not good, especially in the US. Here are some names that I can think of. A few are quite well known, if not in the US, at least in Europe. Charles F Stead Ilcea Nuova Osba du Pay Galluser Rendenbach d'Annonay Shinkihikaku (these Japanese guys manufacture shell Cordovan!!!) Horween is not peerless. BTW, I think Alden does source calf/suede from some of these European tanners. Do they advertise the fact readily? Of course not. The Alden brand image is all "Made in the USA".
post #10665 of 95062
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtc2000 View Post
Exactly. It seems Horween and their immediate customers (i.e. leather good manufacturers/retailers) are quite successful in marketing/utilizing the "Horween" brand name, especially in the US. Partially thanks to forums like this. Marketing informations (often facts but not necessarily) spread so quickly nowadays. And also the fact that "Horween" is American. That makes a big difference in today's consumer psychology.

Substitute the "Horween" name with any of the other top quality tanner brands and imagine. Not good, especially in the US. Here are some names that I can think of. A few are quite well know, if not in the US, at least in Europe.

Charles F Stead
Ilcea
Nuova Osba
du Pay
Galluser
Rendenbach
d'Annonay
Shinkihikaku (these Japanese guys manufacture shell Cordovan!!!)

Horween is not peerless.

BTW, I think Alden does source calf/suede from some of these European tanners. Do they advertise the fact readily? Of course not. The Alden brand image is all "Made in the USA".

Thank you for the reply. I totally agree. Alden does source "the finest european calfskin".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***