or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 6667  

post #99991 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosslovethreads View Post

HELP!

So the area where blooming is happening on my fairly new #8s feels rough to the touch. Is this normal? It feels kind of dry to me. The boots hadn't been worn before me, but who knows how long they sat before I bought them. I believe they spent a long time in the back of a J. Crew.
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Probably a dumb question but, I just recieved my Collonil Goat hair brush today. Would the fact that it's Goat hair opposed to Horse make any difference in the way it works?


 

 

The blooming on the creases on the vamp happens to almost all my shell boots.  It's the nature of some shell.  Brushing helps but I find just rubbing firmly with my finger/thumb back and forth will remove the blooming.  But then it appears immediately when I wear them again.

post #99992 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post

The blooming on the creases on the vamp happens to almost all my shell boots.  It's the nature of some shell.  Brushing helps but I find just rubbing firmly with my finger/thumb back and forth will remove the blooming.  But then it appears immediately when I wear them again.

While i expect the color change, I didnt expect the roughness or texture change within the blooming. It feels dry, almost like tiny cracks. I just didnt know it was part of the blooming experience.

Still my favorite money ever spent. Just being cautious.
post #99993 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosslovethreads View Post

While i expect the color change, I didnt expect the roughness or texture change within the blooming. It feels dry, almost like tiny cracks. I just didnt know it was part of the blooming experience.

Still my favorite money ever spent. Just being cautious.

My friend, what is the run number on the inside of the boots (the number that is not the size or model number) as you suspect those are probably decently aged. What they need is moisture on the creases to hydrate the shell Cordovan. Brushing and carefully and judiciously applying liquid to those spots are probably your best solution. That is not bloom. ;-) I will send you a PM with more details in a bit.
post #99994 of 122416

Thats True about the bloom, It seems like dry skin scalling up, and I expected it to wipe off easily. try a damp cloth to wipe it away, one pair I had - some cord cream worked well to remove the bloom and give it shine it never came off any other way. Thing is you really don't want to over use product on the new leather, or at all since to much product can open the pores permanently. 

post #99995 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

My friend, what is the run number on the inside of the boots (the number that is not the size or model number) as you suspect those are probably decently aged. What they need is moisture on the creases to hydrate the shell Cordovan. Brushing and carefully and judiciously applying liquid to those spots are probably your best solution. That is not bloom. ;-) I will send you a PM with more details in a bit.


Thanks so much! Appreciate any advice I can get!
post #99996 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by epc2 View Post

And what was the Loden makeup?
Tassel loafers, I think. Right?
post #99997 of 122416


Just a flesh wound. You will be stunned to see what Reno or Venetian cream will do to that with brushing. If you don't want to wait for color tap a bit of polish on first.

 

I kicked a stone wall with my cigar cap oxfords - had tears in the hide - i would challenge anyone to guess which shoes it was I damaged.  But did I damage them? They clean up so well and it was what sold me on shell, along with Uncle Mac.

post #99998 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutombo View Post

Hard to tell how deep the scuff is, but shell is pretty resilient. I bet you can blend most of it in by applying some conditioner followed by vigorous brushing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosslovethreads View Post

Sorry to see that. I agree vigorous brushing should do most of the blending, perhaps finish with deer bone. Use the simple tools first.
Dang, good week for you. Love the kudus as an alternative to 1000k. I never could see the appeal of 1k miles. They look like they were lasted on a potatoe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post



Canuck, you are looking terrific in your Naval Boots. It is good to see you posting here again!

I am terribly sorry about your toe, I am sure with brushing, using a deer bone, Color 8 paste wax, and time it will disappear (almost completely)! Continue to wear them in good health my friend. I hope that you are okay other than the scuffed toe.

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resistant View Post





Just a flesh wound. You will be stunned to see what Reno or Venetian cream will do to that with brushing. If you don't want to wait for color tap a bit of polish on first.

I kicked a stone wall with my cigar cap oxfords - had tears in the hide - i would challenge anyone to guess which shoes it was I damaged.  But did I damage them? They clean up so well and it was what sold me on shell, along with Uncle Mac.


Gentleman, thanks for the kind words and advice.

Got home, wiped them down and brushed, brushed and brushed. Then a little deer bone, then a little more brush followed by a soft cloth buff.

I cannot believe how decently they turned out. You can barely see where the scuff was/is.
Will need to pick up some edge dressing though.

Thanks again for all your help guys.
A good bunch we have here.
post #99999 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbln79 View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Joined the Alden Army today along with some shadow selvedge courtesy of 3sixteen.

Congrats! They look great.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYawker View Post

Snuff tassels today from BB: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Nice! Those are about the only pair of tassels that I have warmed up to so far.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post
 

Gentlemen, the Alden x JCrew Ravello LWB (Do not look @kwhitelaw).

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Happy Monday!

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

-Mike

Mike, those have to be in the top 3 of my favorite ravellos in this thread.

post #100000 of 122416
A few months ago I posted photos of my LS Ulitmate Indys that had in warranty issues. I'm posting the before and after and pleased to say Alden fixed them right. Appears to totally new soles, welt, and insoles.

See Ya,
Steve



post #100001 of 122416
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by inn8chiro View Post
 

so GREAT!!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo316 View Post
 

Dig the socks!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post


Great Saddles! I really like these and the Snuff / #8 mode they do.
Nice boots and happy new year.
Don, those are some terrific samples of Cigar.
Repp, those are looking terrific and that is a good resolution.

 

thanks for the kind words gentlemen

post #100002 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

Gentlemen, the Alden x JCrew Ravello LWB (Do not look @kwhitelaw
).








  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)









Happy Monday!

-Mike

Mike-One of your best acquisitions...along with your BB Ravello unlined LHS, and your #4 boots, and your #2 LWB...well I can see where this is headed.

Congrats!

See Ya,
Steve
post #100003 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by inn8chiro View Post Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Colder than a witches titty in a brass bra Standing on my puddle today 5 degrees. #tankerlife.


lovely boots, i can't believe how cold it is there. i wont tell you the temp here today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
 

DC Grant Cigar Cap's

 

 

outstanding donl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
 

For first Aldens I always suggest the 975.  If shell is too expensive I recommend the LWB in tan/cognac/waxed tobacco calf.  My New Year's resolution is to wear my 990 more often.  It has an unusual ruby red tone to it...

 

great first aldens. ruby tones is a nice bonus. i started with 975

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalair1 View Post Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
 

I want to give a shout out to Leffot and Alden for the spectacular Ravello Daytripper that recently dropped.  One of my favorite boots!

 

Hope everyone is working off the holiday funk and getting back in the groove.

 

See Ya,

Steve

 

 

very nice ravello boots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipshot View Post Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Cigar Chukka 9D

the colors look so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYawker View Post Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Snuff tassels today from BB:

wow, much better looking than i would have thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

Gentlemen, the Alden x JCrew Ravello LWB (Do not look @kwhitelaw).

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

just perfect. these are really messing with me.

post #100004 of 122416
Thanks for the kind words on the chukkas guys.

Mdubs -that one pair are 6 eyelet chukkas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

Roguls, If you are trying to stop buying Alden's, it is highly recommended that you stop visiting this thread as per the Alden FAQ. ;-)

-Mike

That's what I did for a good 6 months or so this past year. Ignorance is bliss.
post #100005 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by epc2 View Post


And what was the Loden makeup?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLW View Post


Tassel loafers, I think. Right?

 

almost positive it was a boot

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.