or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 6658  

post #99856 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resistant View Post
 

Some help please with purchases from Franz Boone..

 

Does paypal work well for international orders?

 

How to avoid import tax on American product?

 

 

I bought some boots from Frans Boone in early December, I believe.  I paid via Paypal and all went well.  If you're in the US then you won't have to pay any customs fees to bring them into the country since they were made here.  The folks that package up the boots/shoes will write "US Made product" or whatever on the customs forms.

post #99857 of 122416
I started with and still collect cowboy boots. Many of mine cost 3k-4k a pair. I've got about 24 pairs of boots, about 24 pairs of Alden shell. My wife does not like the amount I have, but does like the style of boots and shoes I have.

See Ya,
Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBeef View Post

All this wife/partner talk got me thinking...are Aldens your first foray into "collecting"/hoarding shoes, or are folks here transitioning from sneakers or other brands? I only have one pair of Aldens, but if I ever do get a little collection going, my wife would be used to it given the number of sneakers I have.
post #99858 of 122416
Thanks guys! I think I would end up in the same situation as ryderfan and never use them as real beaters. biggrin.gif In my case that 'beating' would also include walking in salty slush.
post #99859 of 122416

scotch grain x tsm

post #99860 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipshot View Post

So I am wearing my #8 NST Aberdeen Boot last night to dinner and my wife glances down and says "my those are beautiful, I can see how the boot is shaping to your foot. I wished you had worn these to the New Years party". I am stunned as we've been trough some heated conversation in the past on Alden's so I press the conversation a bit. We actually talked about them individually and here is what I learned. She said, ya know most women start looking at a mans shoes first, it indicates if he's successful and up on his wardrobe .. Who am I to argue that? I am stoked at this point in the conversation. It then drifts to styles... I find out she absolutely loves the NST, LHS, Tassels and a little less but still likes the Chukkas. HATES the Wingtip design. On one hand I am pleased she even noticed my Alden passion, on the other a bit disappointed in her NOT liking LWB. But marriage is about give and take. Why fight congress? So to that end.

I have a brand spanking new pair of 975's sitting in a box in my closet that I picked up from Haberdash sale at the incredible price of $515. Not looking to make a red cent, just what I have into them. Would ask for PayPal fee and Shipping only. Offered to SF community first. Never worn, box, bags everything. Pictures in sig.

I will then purchase a model she loves... Happy Wife Happy Life

PM me if your interested.


I think women today see the wingtip as an old man's style.  I know my wife isn't thrilled by my LWBs; maybe it's because I have a dozen of them.  Each of the models you've mentioned she likes has some sort of visible stitching in the shoe.  Maybe that is the key, but yes indeed, happy wife happy life... :)

post #99861 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post
 

scotch grain x tsm


Details please DV...   are these available currently?  I've been looking to fill this exact boot/shoe in my collection!  Almost pulled the trigger on a pair of C&J Islay but wasn't sure about sizing and shape of that boot.  I think I would prefer this one.

 

Is this the same boot??

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-mens_5_eyelet_wing_tip_boot_brown/pvc-ald-mxsbd-44611h_ald_m_5_eyelet_wing_tip_boot.html

 

It looks so much darker (and better) in your pic.

post #99862 of 122416
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post


I think women today see the wingtip as an old man's style.  I know my wife isn't thrilled by my LWBs; maybe it's because I have a dozen of them.  Each of the models you've mentioned she likes has some sort of visible stitching in the shoe.  Maybe that is the key, but yes indeed, happy wife happy life... smile.gif

I know .. that's definitely it .. She thinks they are old fart .. Likes Gucci Bit Loafer much better. Oh well.... Sucks as I love the LWB, hell my Dad had them in every single shell and calf color. Of course they were 5 nail tanks.. maybe I just say screw it and use them for my nightly dog walks .. damn things are so comfy...
post #99863 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipshot View Post

I know .. that's definitely it .. She thinks they are old fart .. Likes Gucci Bit Loafer much better. Oh well.... Sucks as I love the LWB, hell my Dad had them in every single shell and calf color. Of course they were 5 nail tanks.. maybe I just say screw it and use them for my nightly dog walks .. damn things are so comfy...

Very cool father!

post #99864 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBeef View Post

All this wife/partner talk got me thinking...are Aldens your first foray into "collecting"/hoarding shoes, or are folks here transitioning from sneakers or other brands? I only have one pair of Aldens, but if I ever do get a little collection going, my wife would be used to it given the number of sneakers I have.
I am in a similar boat. I started with AEs then moved into Carmina and am mow adding Alden. My wife knows I fiendishly collect shoes (and books) but I am very reasonable on most anything else.

Oh, and if your wife subscribes to the whole " people notice shoes first" idea (which is true), just make sure you never watch Shawshank Redemption together. My father still quotes the line about a man's shoes back to me every time I mention the need for nice ones.
post #99865 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLW View Post

Oh, and if your wife subscribes to the whole " people notice shoes first" idea (which is true), just make sure you never watch Shawshank Redemption together. My father still quotes the line about a man's shoes back to me every time I mention the need for nice ones.

Andy was successful, wasn't he? :D 

 

BTW, it's women that notice the shoes first.  The moral of the story: the warden and the guards should have been women.

post #99866 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

Andy was successful, wasn't he? biggrin.gif

The worst part about that whole sequence is that Tim Robbins is like 6'3" and the guy who played the warden was probably a foot shorter, so there's no way they would have worn even close to the same shoe size.
post #99867 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

Very cool father!
Thanks Rep! I swear to God he wore LWB every freaking day. Never a jean.. Ever.. The only loafer he ever sported was BB #8 and Black Shell Tassel loafers .. I guess he figured he was covered for every situation with that line up .. and as I think back .. he certainly was .. BTW the women love my Dad .. True!!
post #99868 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipshot View Post
Thanks Rep! I swear to God he wore LWB every freaking day. Never a jean.. Ever.. The only loafer he ever sported was BB #8 and Black Shell Tassel loafers .. I guess he figured he was covered for every situation with that line up .. and as I think back .. he certainly was .. BTW the women love my Dad .. True!!

I think I love him!  :rotflmao:

post #99869 of 122416

thank you rtp. 

that is the boot, but i don't think the dark brown scotch is available at the moment. these are from 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 


Details please DV...   are these available currently?  I've been looking to fill this exact boot/shoe in my collection!  Almost pulled the trigger on a pair of C&J Islay but wasn't sure about sizing and shape of that boot.  I think I would prefer this one.

 

Is this the same boot??

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-mens_5_eyelet_wing_tip_boot_brown/pvc-ald-mxsbd-44611h_ald_m_5_eyelet_wing_tip_boot.html

 

It looks so much darker (and better) in your pic.

post #99870 of 122416
Rep .. He was a WWII B-24 Liberator Pilot 6'2" Absolute Stud... was amazing.. I miss him. Sorry I digress. It must be my BB #8' Tassels today with jeans.. Ugg he'd hate that
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.