or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 6606  

post #99076 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggieandtfe View Post
 

Hello all, I'm looking for some emergency cleaning advice. These are CXL Indys and I have this horrible spot/smudge/stain that I have been unable to remove via my normal cleaning. 

 

I have no idea what caused the stain. It's near black, has a tacky feeling to the touch and has foiled all my cleaning attempts. This is my third pair of Alden CXL boots and I have used the same method for keeping them all looking new until now: horsehair brushing a couple times a week, Allen Edmonds cleaner/conditioner once every two or three months and then a final light layer of either Saphire Reno or Alden Paste wax with some vigorous brushing. After applying this method, I think I actually smeared and spread the stain out!

 

Any ideas? 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Looks like some black grease ...from a car or something like that...while I have had success using Grease Lightning on sneakers to get it off have never tried it on fine footwear..perhaps pick some..or Goof Off and try it...I would not rub too hard with any of the stuff though...perhaps try some on the upper back of the boot just to get a feeling of what it will do to the finish.

post #99077 of 122416
xx
post #99078 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post

I have credit at Leffot. Trying to decide between these two. Or maybe waiting for a better offering down the road. At the moment I'm leaning towards the natty CXL chukka (since the Cigar chukkas are tight on me and aren't going to work). Which would you go with?






Regarding the uppers, I don't like split toes. That stitch looks like a puckered wound to me. In addition, I love natural chromexcel. I've got LWBs in natural chromexcel and they are just gorgeous, yet also sort of casual-looking. Really great match with faded jeans.

But regarding the soles, I love the plantation crepe. They're like wearing tennis shoes. But they do have a thicker, more casual profile.

So for comfort, I think you'd have to go with the chamois Norweigan toe. But for looks, you gotta go with the natural chromexcel.

IMO
post #99079 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
 

 

Strongly leaning towards those Natty CXL chukkas. Waiting for them to send me the email that my account has been credited so I can call back and order them.

 

 

Love the way Alden does natty CXL.  I happen to be wearing my Indys today, if you need any further enabling:

 

 

BTW, the pants are not that short - the socks are new and the photo was for the person who gave them to me.

post #99080 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post
 

 

 

BTW, the pants are not that short - the socks are new and the photo was for the person who gave them to me.

...that ole trick...

post #99081 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

revis, it'd be interesting to hear a word from alden. i have alpine grain tankers from citishoes that have a glossy finish. my j.crew wingtip boots have more of a matte finish. i honestly didn't read the j.crew alpine cxl fine print. but, it makes sense because they do not look the same.


From Horween:

The info is not correct, thanks for pointing it out to me. You should see an update on their site shortly.

Best,
Nick
post #99082 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by brp2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

Pulled another seldom used grail out of the closet and dust bags.  Really tempted to go with the boot version in color 8!

Ravello NST on Aberdeen, from TSM


Those are amazing. Are they from the TSM fire sale? Still kicking myself for only picking up whiskey PTBs then.

Thanks. Yes, firestorm indeed from about a year and a half ago. Not seconds, maybe old stock... $450 from TSM. Talk about right time, right place!!
post #99083 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggieandtfe View Post

Hello all, I'm looking for some emergency cleaning advice. These are CXL Indys and I have this horrible spot/smudge/stain that I have been unable to remove via my normal cleaning. 

I have no idea what caused the stain. It's near black, has a tacky feeling to the touch and has foiled all my cleaning attempts. This is my third pair of Alden CXL boots and I have used the same method for keeping them all looking new until now: horsehair brushing a couple times a week, Allen Edmonds cleaner/conditioner once every two or three months and then a final light layer of either Saphire Reno or Alden Paste wax with some vigorous brushing. After applying this method, I think I actually smeared and spread the stain out!

Any ideas?  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)








I know this isn't the answer you want, but I actually think it looks almost good. Battle scar that Dr. Jones would be proud of if you ask me!
post #99084 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

#8/suede saddles x j.crew


I would trade my ravello NST for these saddles! I am forever envious of you MrDV for these amazing saddles!
post #99085 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggieandtfe View Post

Hello all, I'm looking for some emergency cleaning advice. These are CXL Indys and I have this horrible spot/smudge/stain that I have been unable to remove via my normal cleaning. 

I have no idea what caused the stain. It's near black, has a tacky feeling to the touch and has foiled all my cleaning attempts. This is my third pair of Alden CXL boots and I have used the same method for keeping them all looking new until now: horsehair brushing a couple times a week, Allen Edmonds cleaner/conditioner once every two or three months and then a final light layer of either Saphire Reno or Alden Paste wax with some vigorous brushing. After applying this method, I think I actually smeared and spread the stain out!

Any ideas?

I removed a food grease stain from a pair of natty cxl ptb by massaging the area from the inside of the shoe and then applying a generous amount of baby powder on the stain and let it sit. I repeated this in hour increments until the stain was gone. Took about five rounds.
post #99086 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolarrow View Post

CXL Dovers today:

2FVcq5h.jpg

Solid CoolArrow! Very solid, casual go-to choice for year round weather (except for snow and flooding). Enjoy them often and in great health this holiday season...
post #99087 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post


Thanks. Yes, firestorm indeed from about a year and a half ago. Not seconds, maybe old stock... $450 from TSM. Talk about right time, right place!!

 

that is exactly how I came across my ravello NSTs as well.....better to be lucky than good I guess!

post #99088 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithp3521 View Post

I love natural chromexcel. I've got LWBs in natural chromexcel and they are just gorgeous, yet also sort of casual-looking. Really great match with faded jeans.
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf View Post

 

Love the way Alden does natty CXL.  I happen to be wearing my Indys today, if you need any further enabling:

 

 

I had been eyeing those Natty CXL chukkas but wasn't sure how they would age. Then I saw all the love on here for natty CXL the other day which made me seriously start considering it.

post #99089 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

Pulled another seldom used grail out of the closet and dust bags.  Really tempted to go with the boot version in color 8!  [Edit:  Ugh!  No longer in stock]








Ravello NST on Aberdeen, from TSM

Rep I have this boot from TSM this year. It's very comfortable without all the Longwing bulkyness, and hence wears cooler. The #8 Patina on these is insane. Love your Ravello shoe's Bro Bro!
post #99090 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipshot View Post

Rep I have this boot from TSM this year. It's very comfortable without all the Longwing bulkyness, and hence wears cooler. The #8 Patina on these is insane. Love your Ravello shoe's Bro Bro!

Much thanks my friend.  Unfortunately, the color 8 boot is no longer on the website.  Ugh!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.