or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 6260  

post #93886 of 122416
Does anyone know why Alden (and maybe others) can't consistently replicate the color of their cordovan? (i.e. lighter / darker shades of ravello).
post #93887 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoetree View Post

Does anyone know why Alden (and maybe others) can't consistently replicate the color of their cordovan? (i.e. lighter / darker shades of ravello).

 

horsies with unique butts?

post #93888 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoetree View Post

Does anyone know why Alden (and maybe others) can't consistently replicate the color of their cordovan? (i.e. lighter / darker shades of ravello).

Because it's a natural product produced from horse hide and not all horses are alike. Furthermore, the Horween Cordovan is dyed and finished by hand and thus varies batch to batch before a company like Alden even receives the leather.
post #93889 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1 View Post
 

 

I do actually wear mine with suits.....in the winter.  Mine are outfitted with Topy's on heel and forefront.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
photo imagejpg1_zps93231f42.jpg

 

If your gonna wear them with suits my personal rule is to polish them to a high shine.

 

Thanks!

that's a great shine. do you use wax only on the cap toes? i don't like applying wax where shell bends.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennypoo View Post

#8 Naval boots arrived at Leffot, I was lucky enough to be in NYC to pick up my preorder. Here are some shots in the shop.

-D

shoulda, coulda, didn't.

your boots look awesome zennypoo.

post #93890 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyinsanfran View Post

horsies with unique butts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Volante View Post

Because it's a natural product produced from horse hide and not all horses are alike. Furthermore, the Horween Cordovan is dyed and finished by hand and thus varies batch to batch before a company like Alden even receives the leather.

Thanks! All good info.
post #93891 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevisIsland View Post

My understanding is that all Alden shops are independently owned and I don't think Alden controls their shipping charges. Alden Madison charges me $10 and TSM is free.

Alden DC and SF are owned by the factory. Each store has a different policy.
post #93892 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckOB View Post

Walds11. I posted some a few weeks ago. I think I copied the page correctly. Here. http://www.styleforum.net/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/91410#post_7383217

DuckOB, the linked worked. Thanks for sharing. I've never seen the red brick sole. They look very comfy. The ones I ordered have the double waterlock leather sole.
post #93893 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

that's a great shine. do you use wax only on the cap toes? i don't like applying wax where shell bends.

Thank you Sir.

Cap Toes are probably the easiest to shine and keep shiny. I too do not like too much polish in the rolls because it will just bloom back out anyway and you will have to wipe or brush it away.

When I do a full shine here are my steps:

1. Saphir Reno or VSC
2. Bordeaux cream
3. Paste wax

Due to the incredibly dense pore structure of cordovan you only need minuscule amounts of these products.

This procedure is only done 3 to 4 times a year maximum. In between, lots of horse hair buffing. And, for the cap toes, an occasional thin layer of wax on the toe only to renew the high shine.

Also, I have a; "Secret Weapon" I use that I will share in this thread at a later time.

Thanks!
post #93894 of 122416
Color 8 Indys showed up about a month earlier than expected from TSM.

They're a very dark color 8 but the finish and details are great. No blotchy dye spots like some of my other color 8 boots.

360 welt, commando and no speed hooks.



post #93895 of 122416
Congrats Saz! Early delivery seems to be the exception lately come on leffot navals.
post #93896 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post

Color 8 Indys showed up about a month earlier than expected from TSM.

They're a very dark color 8 but the finish and details are great. No blotchy dye spots like some of my other color 8 boots.

360 welt, commando and no speed hooks.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Wow, Saz! They look great. A bit on the dark side, but still very nice looking. That is how my #8 Indys looked. Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post

Congrats Saz! Early delivery seems to be the exception lately come on leffot navals.

 

The only time that any type of "pre-mature delivery" is welcomed!

post #93897 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post

Color 8 Indys showed up about a month earlier than expected from TSM.

They're a very dark color 8 but the finish and details are great. No blotchy dye spots like some of my other color 8 boots.

360 welt, commando and no speed hooks.
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


 

great looking boots sazon. glad to hear you got a good pair.

post #93898 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1 View Post

  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Thank you Sir.

Cap Toes are probably the easiest to shine and keep shiny. I too do not like too much polish in the rolls because it will just bloom back out anyway and you will have to wipe or brush it away.

When I do a full shine here are my steps:

1. Saphir Reno or VSC
2. Bordeaux cream
3. Paste wax

Due to the incredibly dense pore structure of cordovan you only need minuscule amounts of these products.

This procedure is only done 3 to 4 times a year maximum. In between, lots of horse hair buffing. And, for the cap toes, an occasional thin layer of wax on the toe only to renew the high shine.

Also, I have a; "Secret Weapon" I use that I will share in this thread at a later time.

Thanks!

 

thank you for sharing your technique, your boots are shiny.

post #93899 of 122416

I recently got my first pair of shell boots (Alden/Jcrew Color 8 cap toe) and I was hoping for some advice on care products: I know Alden suggests using their color 8 cream, but is there a good neutral product anyone would suggest for when it is time to polish? I don't use shoe trees and I'm wearing these pretty hard, not looking to keep them perfect and high gloss shine but also don't want to neglect them entirely. I want the leather to fade and patina naturally and don't want to re-darken with cream. 

 

Thanks in advance!

post #93900 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviv View Post
 

I recently got my first pair of shell boots (Alden/Jcrew Color 8 cap toe) and I was hoping for some advice on care products: I know Alden suggests using their color 8 cream, but is there a good neutral product anyone would suggest for when it is time to polish? I don't use shoe trees and I'm wearing these pretty hard, not looking to keep them perfect and high gloss shine but also don't want to neglect them entirely. I want the leather to fade and patina naturally and don't want to re-darken with cream. 

 

Thanks in advance!

 

Take a look at the ALDEN FAQ thread by our fellow member @mdubs and you'll have the answer. 

 

Good Luck!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.