or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 6225  

post #93361 of 122416
@Alcibiades - great looking black NSTs !
post #93362 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotId View Post

My pair is what I believe is a fairly common size, 9.5D.
Barrie? Tell me more.
post #93363 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post

Agreed.
The first two are paramount.

You make good points here. I have done neither of these.
post #93364 of 122416
Gentlemen, I am looking to buy my first pair of Alden (Alden Munson Boot Brown in Chromexcel)

Is anyone familiar with this leather Chromexcel? I have no experience with this leather, is there anything particular that I need to know or be aware about?

I would also like to know what the quality of the Alden boots are in comparison to JL, Edward Green , Crockett&Jones or Trickers as I only have experience with English shoes and boots I am not sure what to expect? these boots are not cheap in the UK ! I would love to buy a pair of boots in the cigar colour but they are not available here in the UK.

Thank you in advance for any information that anyone can provide.
post #93365 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotId View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

What size....my guess that may have something to do with it. 

My pair is what I believe is a fairly common size, 9.5D.

 

You should show the listing in your signature.

post #93366 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad19620 View Post

Gentlemen, I am looking to buy my first pair of Alden (Alden Munson Boot Brown in Chromexcel)

Is anyone familiar with this leather Chromexcel? I have no experience with this leather, is there anything particular that I need to know or be aware about?

I would also like to know what the quality of the Alden boots are in comparison to JL, Edward Green , Crockett&Jones or Trickers as I only have experience with English shoes and boots I am not sure what to expect? these boots are not cheap in the UK ! I would love to buy a pair of boots in the cigar colour but they are not available here in the UK.

Thank you in advance for any information that anyone can provide.

Chromexel stretches a lot, and wrinkles like crazy.

It is pretty durable though.  It scuffs easily, but the minor ones will brush out completely.  The major ones, you are stuck with.

It is a very waxy/oily leather, and doesn't really absorb polish because of it.

It is inherently casual.

 

This is the Alden thread, and many here will never admit it, but the quality is probably a notch below some of the brands you mention.  (not to say that they aren't good shoes.)

 

If what you really want is cigar, I would try to be patient and just wait for it, because brown chromexel and brown cigar shell cordovan are really not that similar.

 

Fransboone, in NL sometimes has cigar shell boots and will ship to UK.  Otherwise, just keep an eye out on eBay.  A lot of the US Alden retailers will not ship outside of the country.

 

Trickers or Carmina would be good alternatives

 

 

 

If you want some handmade bulletproof American boots, you can look at Whites Boots.

post #93367 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

Chromexel stretches a lot, and wrinkles like crazy.
It is pretty durable though.  It scuffs easily, but the minor ones will brush out completely.  The major ones, you are stuck with.
It is a very waxy/oily leather, and doesn't really absorb polish because of it.
It is inherently casual.

This is the Alden thread, and many here will never admit it, but the quality is probably a notch below some of the brands you mention.  (not to say that they aren't good shoes.)

If what you really want is cigar, I would try to be patient and just wait for it, because brown chromexel and brown cigar shell cordovan are really not that similar.

Fransboone, in NL sometimes has cigar shell boots and will ship to UK.  Otherwise, just keep an eye out on eBay.  A lot of the US Alden retailers will not ship outside of the country.

Trickers or Carmina would be good alternatives







If you want some handmade bulletproof American boots, you can look at Whites Boots.

Thank you Bakes11771, excellent information, I will pass on the Chromexel for now.
post #93368 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad19620 View Post

Gentlemen, I am looking to buy my first pair of Alden (Alden Munson Boot Brown in Chromexcel)

Is anyone familiar with this leather Chromexcel? I have no experience with this leather, is there anything particular that I need to know or be aware about?

I would also like to know what the quality of the Alden boots are in comparison to JL, Edward Green , Crockett&Jones or Trickers as I only have experience with English shoes and boots I am not sure what to expect? these boots are not cheap in the UK ! I would love to buy a pair of boots in the cigar colour but they are not available here in the UK.

Thank you in advance for any information that anyone can provide.

People here in the Alden thread love CXL, I might be the minority but IMHO Alden CXL is not worth the $$, it's very comfortable and supple but like bakes said ,it wrinkles like crazy and strechtes a lot ,I had a brown unlined CXL and a Natural CXL LWB , the natural being a LWB and lined had less wrinkles but still a lot for my taste, the PTB was comfortable and versatile but I hated all the wrinkles.

I don't know what's the difference (I think they all come from Horween)but I've seen Rancourt beefrolls in CXL with nice rolls and no wrinkles like Alden.

Personally I don't think I'll ever buy an Alden CXL model again but that's just me.
post #93369 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post
 

This is the Alden thread, and many here will never admit it, but the quality is probably a notch below some of the brands you mention.  (not to say that they aren't good shoes.)

 

If what you really want is cigar, I would try to be patient and just wait for it, because brown chromexel and brown cigar shell cordovan are really not that similar.

 

Fransboone, in NL sometimes has cigar shell boots and will ship to UK.  Otherwise, just keep an eye out on eBay.  A lot of the US Alden retailers will not ship outside of the country.

 

Trickers or Carmina would be good alternatives

With all due respect, I don't think anyone here would argue that Alden is on par with the quality of  JL, EG, and C&J.  Otherwise, I agree with your other points.  If you are looking for comfortable/casual, chrmxl is a solid offering.  The wrinkles aren't that obtrusive.  It definitely gives a distressed look though.  I like it...


My favorite all-purpose shoe; very versatile.

post #93370 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

With all due respect, I don't think anyone here would argue that Alden is on par with the quality of  JL, EG, and C&J.  Otherwise, I agree with your other points.  If you are looking for comfortable/casual, chrmxl is a solid offering.  The wrinkles aren't that obtrusive.  It definitely gives a distressed look though.  I like it...



My favorite all-purpose shoe; very versatile.

That's because they're new biggrin.gif, just kidding bro , those are nice , like I said on the lined models the wrinkles are less of course., It's a matter of personal taste , some like the patina and wrinkles some don't , still lots of nice models on CXL like this Epauket LWB., my other issue is strechting at least that was my exp.
post #93371 of 122416
Thank you everyone for the input, much appreciated.

Alden x Frans Boone PT Boot Cigar Cordovan
For me this is a wonderful boot but sadly out of stock!
post #93372 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina View Post

I think the formula for successful auctions is 
--cleaned up shoes (duh)
--very good photographs that show full coverage (even if new/like new)
and....
--a bullet list of the essential details: model; size; last; color; stockist, if relevant; age, sizing disclaimer, if necessary; etc,
--leave out the "advertising"--how rare they are, no longer available, what to wear them with, durability of shell, last a lifetime, blah blah blah.  The people you are likely selling to know what they are looking at/for.  You need to sell them not on longwings, but on your particular longwings.

In the end, you want them to speak for themselves by looking good and showing well.  I see a lot of auctions with a minimal number of shitty photos.

If you have had no luck with decent photos, I'm not sure what to say.  Do you do auctions or Buy It Now?

I would add that patience is necessary as well, especially if selling here on the B&S forums.

I've sold probably 12+ pair of Alden on here and besides a few pair that generated a lot of interest immediately, they usually took a few weeks to a few months to sell. Of course, if you need the money immediately, it can be a hassle, but if you don't just sit back and bump your thread every week and maybe lower the price occasionally. The nibbles will come in and eventually somebody will bite.

(I know I could probably speed up my own sales if I were a halfway decent photographer or used something better than my iPhone).
post #93373 of 122416
Hi Guys,

Question for BB LHS owners ,I know all or most of the alden for BB models run TTS , What about Their LHS version being unlined , TTS or same as Alden 986 1/2 size down?

Thanks.
post #93374 of 122416
Mahogany lhs from ebay.
Here's to a better work week.
post #93375 of 122416

Cigar LHS for Columbus Day

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.