I hope you did. That makes me nervous.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Yesterday at 8:58 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 6046post #90677 of 1224169/7/14 at 5:34pmpost #90678 of 1224169/7/14 at 5:37pmQuote:
I go exactly TTS on the Copley Last including loafers. So I am a 10.5C TTS and ideal fit Copley for me is 10.5C.
-Mikepost #90679 of 1224169/7/14 at 5:46pmpost #90680 of 1224169/7/14 at 5:50pmQuote:
Thanks, Mike! I was wondering if I could make a D width work as I take D in Barrie and other lasts. The C just works better on the leisure moc.Quote:
Got it. Then there is the question of what Alden will actually deliver, regardless of what they said/committed to earlier.post #90681 of 1224169/7/14 at 5:53pmpost #90682 of 1224169/7/14 at 5:56pmQuote:
Well you can ease your nerves a bit because of those 3 I'm last. I should have been 3rd overall on the list but due to a mishap I wasn't added till much later.post #90683 of 1224169/7/14 at 5:58pmpost #90684 of 1224169/7/14 at 6:12pmpost #90685 of 1224169/7/14 at 6:15pmQuote:Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent
RTP is correct. A Goodyear-welted shoe can only take a finite number of re-weltings. It's a bit deceitful when people tout GY-welted shoes as being able to last a lifetime as long as you maintain the uppers and have them resoled. This is more true if you leave the welt in place and simply replace the sole. A welt can theoretically withstand several resolings before it has to be replaced (assuming your wear pattern doesn't chew into the toe as some do). However, in order to do this in an aesthetically attractive way, the new sole should be sewn to the welt using the same stitch holes, which isn't very easy with the rapid stitching machines that are employed these days. Otherwise, you will have lots of "empty" holes in your welt from where the machine didn't line them up with the old holes.
The problem is, most factory recraftings don't reuse the old welt for this very reason. Also, the welt can sometimes sustain damage when cutting the threads between the welt and the sole. To mitigate this, and to maintain an efficient streamlined factory process, the manufacturers automatically replace the welt, cork, sole, and heel without question. In this process, the uppers can only be re-welted ~4-6 times before they have been perforated with so many needle holes that they lose their integrity at the inseam. Eventually they become brittle like tearing a piece of paper at a dotted line.
So, yes, resoling a shoe with the manufacturer does have a detrimental impact on the long term longevity of the shoe simply because you are "burning" one of your finite number of recraftings that they can handle.
An exception to this is a high quality cobbler such as B Nelson, who will reuse your welt, assuming it is still in good shape. Also, when they do replace the welt, they will hand-stitch the new welt through the original holes in the uppers, thus saving wear on the leather at the inseam. Theoretically, sending your shoes to someone who gives your shoes a greater level of hand-care will make them last longer. The problem is, these companies don't have the original last, which can theoretically cause problems such as the shoes not maintaining their original shape and size. This isn't a frequent problem obviously, otherwise people would not use them. However, the potential for the problem exists. They will also "improvise" when necessary, using salvaged materials from other shoes, scrap components, etc. Some people enjoy knowing that their shoes contain original manufacturer's quality components, others don't really care as long as the shoe is functional. To each his own.
I ask cobblers a lot of questions about their process before I trust them with my shoes.
Very interesting. This is the first were I have heard that going to BNelson could actually lengthen the life of ones shoe because they will try to use the same holes when replacing the soles. Thank for sharing.post #90686 of 1224169/7/14 at 6:15pmpost #90687 of 1224169/7/14 at 6:17pmpost #90688 of 1224169/7/14 at 6:31pmpost #90689 of 1224169/7/14 at 6:34pmpost #90690 of 1224169/7/14 at 6:43pm
i wear Aberdeen tts.Quote:
nice and nice.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 11 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 17 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 18 minutes ago
- › Momotaro 23 minutes ago
- › Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking... 37 minutes ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 46 minutes ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 52 minutes ago
- › Jacket-pants color combination 55 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 55 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 58 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...