or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 5900  

post #88486 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post

Maybe copying the "iconic" Indy, arguably Alden's most recognized model, pushes things a little too far for some of us? Just speculating. I saw the other Ludlows when they came out and I knew they were trying to provide their customers with more affordable GYW shoes in Alden's style (which is not a bad move as others pointed out - though I personally wouldn't touch them bc I'm a snob), which did not bother me. LWBs, SWBs, PTBs, etc, are classic styles that most makers carry. But the new work style boot- esp. the very obvious way in which it tries to exactly copy the Indy... it strikes me as an uncreative, disrespectful, shameless ripoff. It crosses a line for me. That said, I'll get over it and still buy those things I like from JCrew (oh the hypocrisy).

But as some have stated, nobody owns a style. Sure, it's an Indy knockoff but so what? Not everyone can afford to drop $500+ on a pair of Indys. J Crew is simply offering the same style at a cheaper price point. Likewise with the Frye Walter boot. Alden snobs will continue to buy Alden, so what difference does it make? If you saw someone wearing the J Crew boot would you sit there and sneer at them because it's not an Indy? I think some of you are making a mountain out of a molehill
post #88487 of 122416
If be curious to see a review. Ultimately I will still buy the styles I like from JCrew, but I do find this to be rather disrespectful as an Alden fanatic. Outside if the couple forums were Alden is heavily recognized thou, no one will even notice.
post #88488 of 122416
Btw guys, what is your most complimented pair of Alden by other ppl? Just curious.

Mine is #8 Cap toe boots with commando sole. Mostly complimented by gentlemen in their 40~50's in commuting train lol.
post #88489 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post


I'm not aware of a chukka just like Alden's that pre-dates theirs, but I don't think Alden invented the chukka by any means.

...Just as they didn't invent the penny loafer/LHS as we know it.  That credit goes to the Bass Weejun, which, in turn, was a modification of something that came before it.

 

Billion dollar company or not, I'm sure J Crew would't put these work boots out if it really bothered the folks in Marlborough.  Pay less, get less.  

post #88490 of 122416
^^^ Shell, DV??
post #88491 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosicPa View Post

Found these rambling around my closet last night.... Alden AAAC spectators from a Leathersoul make-up a few years ago.....

  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
004_zpscade6f86.jpg

002_zps4180847c.jpg

 

I do like this makeup.

post #88492 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post

Maybe copying the "iconic" Indy, arguably Alden's most recognized model, pushes things a little too far for some of us? Just speculating. I saw the other Ludlows when they came out and I knew they were trying to provide their customers with more affordable GYW shoes in Alden's style (which is not a bad move as others pointed out - though I personally wouldn't touch them bc I'm a snob), which did not bother me. LWBs, SWBs, PTBs, etc, are classic styles that most makers carry. But the new work style boot- esp. the very obvious way in which it tries to exactly copy the Indy... it strikes me as an uncreative, disrespectful, shameless ripoff. It crosses a line for me. That said, I'll get over it and still buy those things I like from JCrew (oh the hypocrisy).

But as some have stated, nobody owns a style. Sure, it's an Indy knockoff but so what? Not everyone can afford to drop $500+ on a pair of Indys. J Crew is simply offering the same style at a cheaper price point. Likewise with the Frye Walter boot. Alden snobs will continue to buy Alden, so what difference does it make? If you saw someone wearing the J Crew boot would you sit there and sneer at them because it's not an Indy? I think some of you are making a mountain out of a molehill

Agreed, have we forgotten that "imitation is the highest form of flattery"? I think it's great. Plus, if you read the description, they are clearly acknowledging that it's based on "one of the most classic styles of all time." That makes it an homage not a "knock off" smile.gif
post #88493 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post

But as some have stated, nobody owns a style. Sure, it's an Indy knockoff but so what? Not everyone can afford to drop $500+ on a pair of Indys. J Crew is simply offering the same style at a cheaper price point. Likewise with the Frye Walter boot. Alden snobs will continue to buy Alden, so what difference does it make? If you saw someone wearing the J Crew boot would you sit there and sneer at them because it's not an Indy? I think some of you are making a mountain out of a molehill
I think you THINK I am making a mountain out of a molehill and, given the idiocy you've spouted on the Viberg thread recently, I see no point trying to persuade you otherwise.
post #88494 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungmineyo View Post

Btw guys, what is your most complimented pair of Alden by other ppl? Just curious.

Mine is #8 Cap toe boots with commando sole. Mostly complimented by gentlemen in their 40~50's in commuting train lol.

Plaza?  Barrie?  I am on the preorder for the naval boot.  I am excited about getting them, but I am wondering if I should instead make my #8 boot a plaza lasted one from j Gilbert.  The photo @Sazon posted the other day looks great, but I wonder if the barrie and perf toe makes them too military looking (after all, they are a jumper style "naval" boot). too My stable isn't so well rounded that I can yet apply the forum mantra of "get both."

 

I get most compliments on my Day Trippers.  Speaking of them, I had a somewhat uncomfortable conversation with a colleague who was inquiring about them, perhaps as something her husband might like.  First, it seemed odd to explain that one couldn't just go out an buy them.  "They are discontinued, you mean?" she asked.  So i explained the shortage issue, pre-order process, and long wait times.  Then, she asked the dreaded question about price.  I couldn't answer explicitly, only explaining that they were probably way more than she would guess.  

 

"But in the end they are more affordable--men's styles endure, and the shoes last a lifetime!"

post #88495 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

^^^ Shell, DV??
Yes, vintage whiskey from eBay.
post #88496 of 122416
I would surmise two things:

1. Alden knew of JCrew's "Indy" before it was released; and (whether they did or not)
2. Alden doesn't really care.
post #88497 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

I would surmise two things:

1. Alden knew of JCrew's "Indy" before it was released; and (whether they did or not)
2. Alden doesn't really care.
Even better....Maybe Alden is making them!
post #88498 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina View Post

I get most compliments on my Day Trippers.  Speaking of them, I had a somewhat uncomfortable conversation with a colleague who was inquiring about them, perhaps as something her husband might like.  
Most complemented are ravello sw boots.
I've been asked a couple of times about where to get a pair. I down play it and keep it brief fearing the price will come up. I say something like: I got these online, but there's similar versions at nordstroms. I would be happy to guide a friend if he was interested in getting aldens, but most are into spending money elsewhere.
post #88499 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post


Most complemented are ravello sw boots.
I've been asked a couple of times about where to get a pair. I down play it and keep it brief fearing the price will come up. I say something like: I got these online, but there's similar versions at nordstroms. I would be happy to guide a friend if he was interested in getting aldens, but most are into spending money elsewhere.

A tactful and helpful response.  I like it.

post #88500 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

Yes, vintage whiskey from eBay.
Great cop.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.