Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 7:01 am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 5898post #88456 of 1224168/6/14 at 8:24pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #88457 of 1224168/6/14 at 8:36pmpost #88458 of 1224168/6/14 at 8:42pmSpeaking of widths....I did a preorder for the Epaulet Innsbruck boots but I did so in a regular D width. I have Indy 404 boots (kudu rocks!) in an E, but in certain areas fit a bit wider than necessary. I tried D width 403's at a local b&m and they seemed to be fine with a little tightness in the forefoot area which I thought would break in with some time.
If I ended up making a mistake on the fit; has Epaulet historically offered any flexibility for returns and exchanges? If not, is the secondary market strong enough for these that I could sell them without taking a significant hit?post #88459 of 1224168/6/14 at 11:03pmpost #88460 of 1224168/6/14 at 11:08pmQuote:
It is sticking the finger in the eye of a supplowr. Either the relationship is frayed or broken and so J.Crew does not care or J. Crew has such bargaining power it thinks Alden cannot afford to care.post #88461 of 1224168/6/14 at 11:13pmQuote:
yea i also thought it was alden at first look. Im curious if Alden is going to do anything about it. With Jcrew having the long wing and the boot, and also carrying alden.post #88462 of 1224168/7/14 at 4:53ampost #88463 of 1224168/7/14 at 4:54ampost #88464 of 1224168/7/14 at 5:14amQuote:Originally Posted by Skatenc123Quote:
yea i also thought it was alden at first look. Im curious if Alden is going to do anything about it. With Jcrew having the long wing and the boot, and also carrying alden.
Does Alden hold a patent for this style of boot? Not sure if that's the correct legal term. Also, Frye makes the Walter boot which is also an Indy knockoff. This leads me to believe that anyone can produce this style of boot. I don't think it really matters because Alden fans won't buy the J Crew version either way. J Crew is simply offering a cheaper alternativepost #88465 of 1224168/7/14 at 5:23amJust checked jcrew version of indy boots online. Wow thats straight copy and paste but still it doesnt have alden vibe. I guess we are still in good hands. Sometime when I wear alden lwb, ppl ask me if it is from jcrew. But it doesnt bother me at all. Comparing jcrew to alden is sin.post #88466 of 1224168/7/14 at 5:24amQuote:Originally Posted by sungmineyo
Just checked jcrew version of indy boots online. Wow thats straight copy and paste but still it doesnt have alden vibe. I guess we are still in good hands. Sometime when I wear alden lwb, ppl ask me if it is from jcrew. But it doesnt bother me at all since by comparing jcrew lwb to alden is sin.
A lot of people only know Alden from J Crew stores. I've mentioned this before, but I have been approached and asked "Are those J Crew Aldens" before while wearing Alden cordovan chukkas.post #88467 of 1224168/7/14 at 5:26am
I think this is one of those things were, as much of a shame as it is, JCrew doesn't care. JCrew is somewhere around a 3 billion dollar company(last I checked), that is praised on the business market for their creativity and innovation in their respective market.
Additionally, I have heard from many retailers that they cannot attempt to sell shoes/boots they cannot get. 2+ years wait on certain styles cannot fit the model of a fast growing ever changing company like JCrew. I'm not saying I agree with this, but in a business world you have to understand why they would attempt to hijack a style. Every industry in every spectrum of the world does this very same thing. Where can you go now adays that is a chain style store that doesnt sell some sort of hijacked product?post #88468 of 1224168/7/14 at 5:35amI highly doubt that any company owns a shoe style. LWB, PTB, Monks are just styles. Sure the Indy has the stiched apron, but so do a lot of shoes.
You definitely can't say that JC's Ludlow LWB and PTB are copies of Alden. It's just a style.post #88469 of 1224168/7/14 at 5:39amQuote:
The AE Mojave is pretty much a copy of Alden's chukka. They don't offer it in shell, but someone listed a shell MTO Mojave on eBay:
Compare to Alden's 1339:
AE's Patriot penny loafer seems to be their best replica of the LHS. Of course Alden doesn't own the rights to basic designs like these, and the Patriot doesn't resemble the LHS perfectly. But the Mojave is obviously a copy IMO.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
Styleforum Top Picks
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 39 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 46 seconds ago
- › Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 2 minutes ago
- › Daily CE Musings of Piob 3 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 3 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 4 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 4 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 5 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What products do I use and how to I care for...
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.