Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 590  

post #8836 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by interlockingny View Post
I would say the Grant Last. While the Barrie may be a bit more generous in terms of volume, I have found the Grant to have a similiar fullness to the Barrie and narrower in the heel. I have a pair of the Cigar Shell captoe boots, and have found this combination to make for a very comfortable boot.

Are you same size in Barrie and Grant? Or are you 1/2 larger in Grant i.e. more TTS?
post #8837 of 122416
My love for Aldens is how I found this forum. What an awesome thread, guys!
post #8838 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderline View Post
Are you same size in Barrie and Grant? Or are you 1/2 larger in Grant i.e. more TTS?

I actually find it TTS. I know so size down 1/2 size but I found that didn't work for me. Perhaps because my feet are slightly wide. It could also be that I wear thicker socks with the boot which offsets the 1/2 size.

Are you looking at a particular boot / shoe?

FWIW, I also have the BBBF Longwing which is on the Grant last and I find that TTS as well.
post #8839 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by poly800rock View Post
is leather soul planning on getting the indy in #8 again? or maybe the 4060 in #8?
I believe the #8 Indy is a regularly stocked item at LS (i.e. it gets reordered). Not sure if they carry the 4060 (Grant last captoe). Personally, I think the #8 Plaza last captoe that LS carries is stunning and more attractive than the 4060.

Aries83 has a fine example of the #8 Plaza captoe


It should also be noted that while other outfits offer a variation of the Indy boot, there are slight differences - mainly in the welt. The J Gilbert version has a regular welt (close heel?), and the Shoemart version has a 360 degree reverse welt (and all eyelets), whereas the LS version has the reverse welt and close heel like the original 405.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
Just got a pair of Kudu Ultimate Indy boots but I noticed something odd. The top stitching on top of the left boot is dull and darkened while the one on the right boot is much brighter and makes a huge contrast. This is pretty obvious and you can see it easily in light and even in the dark as the stitching on the right boot sticks out. Is this normal and will the stitching on the right boot dull out pretty quick? Otherwise should this be exchanged as the stitching tends to remain contrasted?

I can post pics by tommorow if needed.

Thanks.
If you're worried about having too much contrast, that is easy enough to solve. Take some dirt and rub it into the mocc toe stitching where you find it too bright. Eventually the stitching darkens with dirt, conditioner, polish, etc. so I wouldn't worry about them staying white for too long. In fact, many people don't like the contrast stitching and applying brown polish to match the leather is one of the first things they do.

If the boots fit you well and you like the styling of them, I see no reason to exchange them. Just enjoy and wear those boots for many years to come.
post #8840 of 122416
Just picked up a pair of these:
http://shop.winnperry.com/products/a...xcel-plain-toe

I've been waiting patiently for a brown cxl winter shoe - this is it! Nice job Winn Perry. The only thing that could have improved this shoe imho would have been the PTB quarter/vamp patterning ala , but this is close enough.
post #8841 of 122416
Nice pickup on the brown CXL PTBs from Winn Perry.
I've got a pair of those too. There's a bit of a story behind them.

Back in March of last year WP was taking pre-orders for a brown CXL longwing with commando sole for delivery in the fall so I ordered a pair.
October rolls around it turns out that Alden made PTBs rather than longwings.
I'd have rather had longwings but I liked the PTBs enough to get them instead. Plus WP sweetened the deal and I was happy.
post #8842 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post
Nice pickup on the brown CXL PTBs from Winn Perry.
I've got a pair of those too. There's a bit of a story behind them.

Back in March of last year WP was taking pre-orders for a brown CXL longwing with commando sole for delivery in the fall so I ordered a pair.
October rolls around it turns out that Alden made PTBs rather than longwings.
I'd have rather had longwings but I liked the PTBs enough to get them instead. Plus WP sweetened the deal and I was happy.

Those LWBs sound great... did they reorder?
post #8843 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
The new problem will be: since the new Barrie last fits true to size, the old one doesn't...so what if a store or someone is selling a pair of new or used Barrie last from last year and is not aware of the change? Or what if I'm buying a pair of Indy's on eBay and I think they will fit because of the size correction, and they don't? .

I didn't mean they should change now, I was just wondering why they sized them that way originally.
post #8844 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterParker View Post
If you're worried about having too much contrast, that is easy enough to solve. Take some dirt and rub it into the mocc toe stitching where you find it too bright. Eventually the stitching darkens with dirt, conditioner, polish, etc. so I wouldn't worry about them staying white for too long. In fact, many people don't like the contrast stitching and applying brown polish to match the leather is one of the first things they do.

If the boots fit you well and you like the styling of them, I see no reason to exchange them. Just enjoy and wear those boots for many years to come.

I was worried about the contrast as you were saying. I actually find it pretty funny since I guess you are right a little dirt will dull it out. The fit and everything else is awesome. Looking forward to wearing my first good casual boots!
post #8845 of 122416
in addition to the dirt, the oils from the leather will also darken the stitching after a few wears.
post #8846 of 122416
Rookie's contribution...
post #8847 of 122416
Let us know what you think of the Brown CXL PTBs from Winn Perry. They look nice on their website....
post #8848 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by FENWAY View Post
Rookie's contribution...

There is no rookie status when it comes to Alden. Looks great!

I'm the rookie.
post #8849 of 122416
Alden 4x4 Seconds on eBay

So somebody grabbed a pretty unique pair of seconds - the 4x4s that Tom made up. I'm not sure what this guy paid for them but it looks like he's anticipating a nice profit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alden-4-Shell-Co...item45f7f94ac6
post #8850 of 122416
if only they were 8.5d
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.