or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 5834  

post #87496 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by docalden2013 View Post
 

To add to the black shell discussion, I and non-Alden-addicts seem to enjoy the lustre of black shell cordovan. I think it can be done casually enough and it certainly dresses up nicely.

 

I bought the JC cadet shoe in black cordovan last year after I got a 25% discount from my personal shopper. I must say that it doesn't get much wear in my rotation. I'm still grappling with whether the shoe looks properly proportioned with 6 pairs of eyelets. If I were buying only one black shell, it might just be the longwing (I'd consider a ptb too, but I like some ornamentation on shoes...).

 

and @bkotsko makes me want to rock my black naval boots soon. It's just been a bit too hot around here for boots lately.

It was cool this morning. 48F at my house, which is unseasonably cool for a July morning.

You know who will take those cadets off you when the time is right, Doc.

post #87497 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo316 View Post
 

I see black as formal, I love black shoes if I'm wearing a suit or a tux. With casual wear, Its just not my thing.

 

If I were to buy black Alden's it would likely be a captoe cadet shoe (JCrew)  to replace my park avenues.


If you were looking to use a black shell Alden model for more formal attire, I would recommend either the cap toe bal (like AE's Park Av) or the perf cap toe bal (like AE's 5th Av).  J Crew's cadet is very much a casual looking shoe in my opinion, even though it is black.  The barrie last, blucher, and double leather sole makes it look a little odd with a suit.  I've done the 9901 with a suit before and felt fine, but somehow the cadet looks more like it should be a (naval) boot and screams casual, at least to me.  My $0.02.

post #87498 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post


Try the c&j for Ralph Lauren brown shell ptbs. I am very happy with my pair and don't feel I need alden cigar ptbs, except when uncle Mac posts pic of his cigar ptbs.

+1  Those cigar PTB's would be like my dream shoe.  I have the RL Marlow PTB's and my Alden Color 8 PTB's..... but Alden cigar PTB's I would probably wear more than those two combined.

 

Ben

post #87499 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

I still do not get the whole anti-black shoe/boot thing, I think it is rather comical actually. Great looking boots!

It's actually kind of bizarre. I have a lot of black Alden models (captoe boots, tanker boot, captoe bals, NST shoe, PTB). They are actually some of my most complimented shoes and are very versatile. Based on actual wear, I get more use out of my black cordovans than cigar, whiskey, ravello, etc. I am really looking to add a black brogue at some point as well. The 9751 may be it.

Black shell is great. i own the 9751 and get a decent amount of use out of it.
post #87500 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo316 View Post

 
I see black as formal, I love black shoes if I'm wearing a suit or a tux. With casual wear, Its just not my thing.

If I were to buy black Alden's it would likely be a captoe cadet shoe (JCrew)  to replace my park avenues.


If you were looking to use a black shell Alden model for more formal attire, I would recommend either the cap toe bal (like AE's Park Av) or the perf cap toe bal (like AE's 5th Av).  J Crew's cadet is very much a casual looking shoe in my opinion, even though it is black.  The barrie last, blucher, and double leather sole makes it look a little odd with a suit.  I've done the 9901 with a suit before and felt fine, but somehow the cadet looks more like it should be a (naval) boot and screams casual, at least to me.  My $0.02.

+1
post #87501 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

Question about these Alden 954 Monk's I picked up - honestly I got them to practice some shell work and was shocked when they arrived that they were in as good as condition as they were - the photos I bought from were really terrible..almost made the $99 spent seem like a waste but I figured if it saved my other shell's from getting poor treatment from it was worth it-

Anyway after they arrived and I saw they were in decent shape I got to wondering about the soles...it seems like there is a super topy on it and the rubber is almost 1/4 of an inch at its widest and it is stitched- I would imagine that this shoe was redone but I have no idea as I know little about Alden and hoping to tap the knowledge base here.

Any info on if these could have been released by Alden with this sole would be great and if not should I assume that using B Nelson would be the way to go to get them soles redone? Will Alden re-craft if anothers works has been done to them? Color wise I am assuming they were #8 at some point? Not sure if the codes inside tell the original color.

Did a quick wipe down and brush on them.




Model 954 is color 8 and is a stock model. Send them to BNelson and get them resoled with JR leather.
post #87502 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercitizen View Post

+1  Those cigar PTB's would be like my dream shoe.  I have the RL Marlow PTB's and my Alden Color 8 PTB's..... but Alden cigar PTB's I would probably wear more than those two combined.

Ben

how does the sizing of these shoes compare?
post #87503 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

It's actually kind of bizarre. I have a lot of black Alden models (captoe boots, tanker boot, captoe bals, NST shoe, PTB). They are actually some of my most complimented shoes and are very versatile. Based on actual wear, I get more use out of my black cordovans than cigar, whiskey, ravello, etc. I am really looking to add a black brogue at some point as well. The 9751 may be it.

Agreed. My black shell boots (wingtip and cap toe) get a heavy workout. Black shell is great.
post #87504 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post


Black shell is great. i own the 9751 and get a decent amount of use out of it.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 


If you were looking to use a black shell Alden model for more formal attire, I would recommend either the cap toe bal (like AE's Park Av) or the perf cap toe bal (like AE's 5th Av).  J Crew's cadet is very much a casual looking shoe in my opinion, even though it is black.  The barrie last, blucher, and double leather sole makes it look a little odd with a suit.  I've done the 9901 with a suit before and felt fine, but somehow the cadet looks more like it should be a (naval) boot and screams casual, at least to me.  My $0.02.

 

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice. Its hard to tell sometimes with JCrew models. Although for the 2 times a year I put on a suit, I likely wouldn't grab a new pair of black shell unless I scored a deal on eBay. No matter what I do I cannot incorporate black into my daily attire. I always hate how it looks and in general will go for dark greys or navy's instead.

post #87505 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedCrab View Post

Those are sweet, did you go true to size or -.5 like barrie (I heard bb ptb is a different last like m58 or something)

Yep. TTS. Last is slimmer in the forepart of the shoe than the barrie last.
post #87506 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeebs View Post

how does the sizing of these shoes compare?
I wear mine tts, 10.5. I tried and returned the 10, they were too narrow on the toes for me.
And as previously stated, there's no link. You have to go to or call the ny stores.
post #87507 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post

How about some Naval Cap Toes today?
That's right, I am wearing *gasp* Black shell today.
I don't care, I love these in black.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



nephew,
looking good
I like black shell but it is not appreciate on this forum
post #87508 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Natty CXL kinda day for me
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




nephew,
looking good
post #87509 of 122416

ravello ptb
argyles otc
post #87510 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post

How about some Naval Cap Toes today?
That's right, I am wearing *gasp* Black shell today.
I don't care, I love these in black.



I'm also not a fan of black shoes, 95% of the time.
These boots, however, are supreme. BK's pics have been so good that I got in on the pre-order of these.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.