or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 5808  

post #87106 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeebs View Post
 

The Dalton boot looks like hell.  Undersized wingtip, as if they didn't cut enough material to stitch to the vamp. All shaft and no head. Now let's get back to Aldens.

 

Beebs, I am with you personally, I like the Dalton, but there was always something slightly odd with the fit for me. I agree with you on the Aldens!

 

-Mike

post #87107 of 122416
But this wingtip is highly preferred smile.gif

post #87108 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeebs View Post
 

That said, I am in the market for a black shell boot.  Any personal faves for those who own a pair?  Tend to like the TSM captoe, all eyelets on double leather.  Commando is super comfy, but I'm a bit "fearful" that a black shiny boot on commando may make me look like a guerilla rebel, punk rocker, or disenchanted emo teen.

 

Beebs, I am now getting two Black Shell Boots. I am getting the Black NST Boot on the Plaza Last from JGilbert and I am getting the Alden Black Cap Toe on the Grant on Command with Hooks (4065HC) from Alden DC. Kathy was just getting ready to do another run of the 4065HC about a month ago, she may have already submitted the order. Not sure if they were pre-confirmed or not. Yenni has made her NST her top pri order.

 

-Mike

post #87109 of 122416
Black shell NST on Plaza sounds awesome. I have been wanting a black boot and that would fit the bill quite nicely.
post #87110 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy0329 View Post


I love AE's Dalton. I have two pairs, on in the aforementioned burgundy shell cordovan and another in bourbon calf. Wonderful boots. I would purchase another pair, but would prefer a cap toe instead of another pair of Wingtips in cordovan. Maybe the Wolverines should be my target.

Down the line I wouldn't rule out purchasing another pair of Daltons, maybe in chocolate calf the next time they go on sale.

 

Buddy, just out of curiosity, have you tried an Alden boot on yet?

post #87111 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzan View Post
 

 

Perfect, thx!

 

 

Wearing these today so it got me thinking about how I want some other colors in the LHS, such a great loafer and fits me very well.

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Buz, those are some beautiful Whiskey LHSes!!! Wear them in good health, our Canadian friend.

post #87112 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Black shell NST on Plaza sounds awesome. I have been wanting a black boot and that would fit the bill quite nicely.

 

Shoot Yenni a note...

post #87113 of 122416
Allen Edmonds has a thread. I have owned some, worn some, and have one pair left that I'd like to sell. They are nowhere near as nice as Aldens. They offer a good value for a properly goodyear welted leather soled shoe made in the US. But if you can afford better, your feet deserve better. And their shell offerings, unless you get them as seconds or somehow on sale, are simply not a great deal when the same can be had from Alden or Carmina, whose lasts and craftsmanship are far superior. Mac and the other juggernauts of this thread do not own AE for a reason - wearing them is a day not wearing Alden.
post #87114 of 122416
Maybe. I actually am loving Carmina's stuff a bit more. For boots, I'll always love Alden. Not as big a fan of Alden calfskin, but I do have my Alden boots, which are my babies.

And yes, my Dalton in shell does compare favorably. At least I think so. My AE mora 2.0? Not so much.

Carry on smile.gif
post #87115 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

Beebs, I am now getting two Black Shell Boots. I am getting the Black NST Boot on the Plaza Last from JGilbert and I am getting the Alden Black Cap Toe on the Grant on Command with Hooks (4065HC) from Alden DC. Kathy was just getting ready to do another run of the 4065HC about a month ago, she may have already submitted the order. Not sure if they were pre-confirmed or not. Yenni has made her NST her top pri order.

-Mike

But Mike, didn't you have an issue with too much creasing on nsts, or do you think the plaza would give a different result?
post #87116 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguls View Post

Allen Edmonds has a thread. I have owned some, worn some, and have one pair left that I'd like to sell. They are nowhere near as nice as Aldens. They offer a good value for a properly goodyear welted leather soled shoe made in the US. But if you can afford better, your feet deserve better. And their shell offerings, unless you get them as seconds or somehow on sale, are simply not a great deal when the same can be had from Alden or Carmina, whose lasts and craftsmanship are far superior. Mac and the other juggernauts of this thread do not own AE for a reason - wearing them is a day not wearing Alden.

 

Roguls, I agree with you by and large. I still really like the Strand. I wish Alden would make more of the Plaza Semi-Brogues, Alden is an interesting company, as they have some amazing gems that they just don't ever produce...

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

-Mike

post #87117 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeebs View Post


But Mike, didn't you have an issue with too much creasing on nsts, or do you think the plaza would give a different result?

 

Beebs, I had the Ravello NST on the Aberdeen last and it was a 10.5D. I am an 11B or 10.5C on the Aberdeen last. I wanted to give the NST another shot in the proper fitting size. I think that the NSTs do crease, but it was exacerbated by the poor fit on my feet.

 

I really miss them, the Ravello color on them was amazing, but I know that they are in a good home and are getting more wear than I gave them. Plus I got one of my favorite shoes that I now own out of them.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

-Mike

post #87118 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguls View Post

Allen Edmonds has a thread. I have owned some, worn some, and have one pair left that I'd like to sell. They are nowhere near as nice as Aldens. They offer a good value for a properly goodyear welted leather soled shoe made in the US. But if you can afford better, your feet deserve better. And their shell offerings, unless you get them as seconds or somehow on sale, are simply not a great deal when the same can be had from Alden or Carmina, whose lasts and craftsmanship are far superior. Mac and the other juggernauts of this thread do not own AE for a reason - wearing them is a day not wearing Alden.

Indeed they do have a thread. I mention them as a point of reference. Disparaging and dismissing them is shortsighted / ignorant and indicative of snobbish preconceptions. I've worn some Alden balmorals and in my opinion they are inferior to offerings from Allen Edmonds. Does Alden have a superior selection of bluchers yes? But since most of my dress shoes are balmorals that probably explains why I gravitated to AE instead of Alden. I have boots from both brands, love the Daltons. love my Fifth Streets. I have a pair of Kudu Indy boots which are constructed very well with a great lug sole, but that makeup is overly clunky IMO; that said ai preordered a pair of Indy's from Epaulet this week in their Innsbruck makeup. Bottom line, there are pros and cons to offerings and practices of both companies, and I respect the virtues and benefits that each offer to me as a consumer.

As for so called "juggernauts" everyone has a right to their own opinion and heroes; I consider myself an independent thinker not tied down by the conventions, biases, and preconceptions of others.
post #87119 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

ravello lhs
argyles otc
Great colour and shine on your LHS's Uncle.
post #87120 of 122416
Buddy, I am with you. Both companies make great shoes. Each have their place.

Did you want any pics of Alden's Cap toe boots? Are you looking for a pair with broguing or a plain cap toe?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.