or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 5783  

post #86731 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLVol View Post
 

Just got back from vacation, and the whiskey SWB 2nds from TSM were waiting on me.

 

At first glance, the color definitely appears more ravello than whiskey and I believe that they may have had additional of color added.

 

Still trying to determine if the right shoe is slightly darker than the left, but it is difficult with the office lighting.

 

I agree with you on both counts. They look more ravello than whiskey, and the right shoe appears darker than the left. Neither would prevent me from keeping them, though!

post #86732 of 122416

Not the best lighting (sorry) but fifth voyage of my Alden SF PTBs in Natural Chromexcel. Starting to develop some nice rolls/pull-up already.

 

post #86733 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by wklq76a View Post

I agree with you on both counts. They look more ravello than whiskey, and the right shoe appears darker than the left. Neither would prevent me from keeping them, though!

Those Bals are awesome and I would keep them personally unless you really only wanted a super light Whiskey. If that is the case, you need to create a time machine and go back several years...
post #86734 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Uncle, I like the antique edges with your LHS. You had B. Nelson do that, correct? Regardless, they look great and have developed a nice patina.

nephew,
thank you
work was done by bnelson
post #86735 of 122416

king nst saddle
argyles otc
post #86736 of 122416

Looks like I'm getting a pair of those Whiskey PTB from Alden San Fran.  Hope they look as good as some of the other examples I've seen on the forum!

 

See Ya,

Steve

post #86737 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLVol View Post

Just got back from vacation, and the whiskey SWB 2nds from TSM were waiting on me.

At first glance, the color definitely appears more ravello than whiskey and I believe that they may have had additional of color added.

Still trying to determine if the right shoe is slightly darker than the left, but it is difficult with the office lighting.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)













Very nice!

I would look at them in bright, direct sunlight - this should give you the clearest idea of the variation in color (and allow you to determine if it's something you can live with). I'm still working on a mismatched pair of ravello's I purchased from a TSM 2nd's earlier this year. They are getting closer together now (after the darker one sitting on it's own on a window sill), and the difference in shade is only slightly apparent in strong direct sunlight. I did send them back to Alden for "refinishing", but it didn't achieve a whole lot tbh.
post #86738 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post


king nst saddle
argyles otc

Very nice Uncle Mac!  Great combo, nice grout too!

 

See Ya,

Steve

post #86739 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalair1 View Post

Looks like I'm getting a pair of those Whiskey PTB from Alden San Fran.  Hope they look as good as some of the other examples I've seen on the forum!

See Ya,
Steve
Congrats, Steve! Good luck with the shade. I hope they look how you want. Every other example has been pretty stunning.
post #86740 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalair1 View Post

Very nice Uncle Mac!  Great combo, nice grout too!

See Ya,
Steve
He uses the Mac (grouting) method.
post #86741 of 122416

Thanks tifosi!  I don't know if its because I've got a big foot (therefore requiring a bigger piece of shell), but most of my whiskey is the lighter shade that takes on a more caramel look as they age.  I have been overall very pleased with the color I've got.

 

See Ya,

Steve

post #86742 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


He uses the Mac (grouting) method.

Good patina too!

 

See Ya,

Steve

post #86743 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalair1 View Post

Thanks tifosi!  I don't know if its because I've got a big foot (therefore requiring a bigger piece of shell), but most of my whiskey is the lighter shade that takes on a more caramel look as they age.  I have been overall very pleased with the color I've got.

See Ya,
Steve
Here's to your continued success! cheers.gif
post #86744 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalair1 View Post

Thanks tifosi!  I don't know if its because I've got a big foot (therefore requiring a bigger piece of shell), but most of my whiskey is the lighter shade that takes on a more caramel look as they age.  I have been overall very pleased with the color I've got.

 

See Ya,

Steve


I've actually wondered about this. If you have a larger foot size it stands to reason that more shell hide is being used to produce your shoe. Does shell in larger sizes cost more? There's an 'up charge' in the garment industry for stuff like shirts so it would make sense if this were true with shoes as well



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #86745 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post

I've actually wondered about this. If you have a larger foot size it stands to reason that more shell hide is being used to produce your shoe. Does shell in larger sizes cost more? There's an 'up charge' in the garment industry for stuff like shirts so it would make sense if this were true with shoes as well



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They say you only get one pair of shoes from each shell. Of course a larger shoe takes more material and therefore costs more, but the guy's 6D shoe already has the cost built in from the guy's 12D shoe. I'm sure they charge what the maximum material cost is for the largest shoe for all sizes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.