Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Yesterday at 9:57 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 5759post #86371 of 1224167/9/14 at 10:45amWhat if you think $1200 is a goofy, unreasonable, absurd and (dare I say) exploitative number? You don't question a seller's right to do it, just maybe their judgment and character? Hypothetically speaking of course. Don't criticize my comment, I'm just exercising my First Amendment rights.post #86372 of 1224167/9/14 at 10:49amQuote:I hypothetically agree.Originally Posted by budapest12
What if you think $1200 is a goofy, unreasonable, absurd and (dare I say) exploitative number? You don't question a seller's right to do it, just maybe their judgment and character? Hypothetically speaking of course. Don't criticize my comment, I'm just exercising my First Amendment rights.post #86373 of 1224167/9/14 at 10:52amI agree with totalair1. Good luck patina.
I also try to see the issue from several points of view.
As an avid alden junkie, I don't like members flipping seconds on eBay because it'll make it harder to get my hands on the seconds I want. It'll become like orchestra tickets to my favorite shows. Scalpers will get them first, I'll have to overpay if I want them bad enough. I'm not concerned with the ethics, I just want my discounted Aldens and my concert tickets.
As an avid alden thread junkie, I've benefited from fellow members selling me seconds and first quality Aldens at cost. I would estimate about 10 pairs at cost from fellow members. It's a total win, buyer and seller score.
I have sold rare shell at below market value to fellow members knowing I could have made more on eBay.
I have sold rare shell for more than 300% profit on eBay.
I have overpaid for USED rare shell on eBay.
EVERYONE i know outside of this thread would agree, I overpay for Aldens regardless where I get them from. My last retail purchase was $700 for first quality cigar tassels and I know I overpaid, but I'm happy to have and wear them.post #86374 of 1224167/9/14 at 10:56ampost #86375 of 1224167/9/14 at 11:01ampost #86376 of 1224167/9/14 at 11:02ampost #86377 of 1224167/9/14 at 11:03ampost #86378 of 1224167/9/14 at 11:08ampost #86379 of 1224167/9/14 at 11:15amQuote:Nice work mdubs, been killing it with suede week.Originally Posted by mdubs
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
-Mikepost #86380 of 1224167/9/14 at 11:27amI have no problem with what Patina is doing. They are advertised as New With Defects and as a Factory Irregular so it would appear he is being honest about their condition.
He will eventually get only what someone believes they are worth - nothing more, nothing less.post #86381 of 1224167/9/14 at 11:38amQuote:Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy
I have no problem with what Patina is doing. They are advertised as New With Defects and as a Factory Irregular so it would appear he is being honest about their condition.
He will eventually get only what someone believes they are worth - nothing more, nothing less.
I'd like to think is a SF regular wanted them and reached out they would likely get a different starting pricepost #86382 of 1224167/9/14 at 11:46ampost #86383 of 1224167/9/14 at 11:47amQuote:
Me too. I may refrain from Alden until there is some kind of market correction.
Does anybody know if there there was some kind of price decrease when the dot com thing happened? I hear that Alden really suffered then.post #86384 of 1224167/9/14 at 11:52amQuote:Originally Posted by budapest12
What if you think $1200 is a goofy, unreasonable, absurd and (dare I say) exploitative number? You don't question a seller's right to do it, just maybe their judgment and character? Hypothetically speaking of course. Don't criticize my comment, I'm just exercising my First Amendment rights.
Everyone is allowed to have an opinion. I totally support yours and my First Amendment Rights. I also totally support an open,free,economy. Selling shoes for 300% markup (if they sell) is no worse or better than selling a new PS4 for 2-3 times retail at Christmas. We now have a generation that has disposable income thats used to instant gratification. Instant everything! As long as thats the trend, theres going to be people who cater to it. I've seen purses sell for $10k, 20K and more that have less than $500 worth of material in them...why? The name and rarity!
I don't necessarily agree that selling these shoes for 300% profit is right, but I don't see it as wrong either...provided someone is willing to pay for it. What makes a 1st Class seat on a flight worth 2-3 times more? Its not the food! It could be the the additional space, but at the end of the day it's the status, the privilege, the service...plus you get there sooner than the guys at the back of the bus!
What makes it right to force someone who makes more money to support someone who's lazy and would rather stay on welfare than work? I have no issue with support the needy, but what about the lazy?
I see many here that see selling something for a 300% profit as being unethical, or taking advantage of a situation. What about if I get in on a pre-order for an ultra rare Alden...let's say a #2 LWB and sell them for 300% more? Does that make me wrong, or does it make me a business person? I think MrDV said it well...We all overpay for Alden's. Why...because they sell them faster they can make them! Its not because of the quality, although I think its pretty decent most of the time. Its really because of dumb butt addicts like us! Its our fault this scenario exists!
Stevepost #86385 of 1224167/9/14 at 11:58am
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 9 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 12 minutes ago
- › 2016 50 Book Challenge 12 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 16 minutes ago
- › Sartorial Leather Jackets by Craftsman Clothing - Official... 20 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 26 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 27 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 28 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 29 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...