or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 573  

post #8581 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
Zippy-why did you size down on Grant last? Don' they fit true to size?

Because I tried them on a while ago. They do fit a bit snugger than the same size Barrie. I can imagine not having sized down on them.
post #8582 of 122416
So I'm selling my Indy 403s and the question came up as to the difference between the 403 I'm selling (from Union Made) and the 405 offered by J. Crew. Honestly, I can't find the difference other than I think the J. Crew's a have a stained welt. I always thought the 405 were the original Indy's in waxhide, and the 403 were the brown chromexcel. Anyone know? Just want to be able to answer it if it comes up again.
post #8583 of 122416
The J Crew boot is not a 405, nor is it a 403. It's special to J Crew and has the stained welt as well as unique heel stitching detail. Otherwise same boot.
post #8584 of 122416
Can someone explain this? I have a pair of Whiskey Longwings (Alden of Carmel) and a pair of Natural Chromexcel (Epaulet Shop) both in the Barrie last and size 8D. The Cordovan Whiskey feels a little pointier and a tad looser than the Natural Longwings. Also, why is the welt or sole edge on the Natural Chromexcel a little wider? Kind of wish my Cordovan Whiskey didn't look as pointy and really liking the snug and wider fit of the Natural Longwings. Is there a reason for the sole being different on the same last even though the leather is different or is this how Alden is making the Barrie last now, which is more like the newer Natural Chromexcels?
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #8585 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlieu View Post
Can someone explain this? I have a pair of Whiskey Longwings (Alden of Carmel) and a pair of Natural Chromexcel (Epaulet Shop) both in the Barrie last and size 8D. The Cordovan Whiskey feels a little pointier and a tad looser than the Natural Longwings. Also, why is the welt or sole edge on the Natural Chromexcel a little wider? Kind of wish my Cordovan Whiskey didn't look as pointy and really liking the snug and wider fit of the Natural Longwings. Is there a reason for the sole being different on the same last even though the leather is different or is this how Alden is making the Barrie last now, which is more like the newer Natural Chromexcels?

Looks like the cxl longwings have a reverse welt, while the whiskeys have a regular welt. The reverse welt will give the appearance of the shoe being wider.

In terms of the whiskey fitting a tad looser, thanks to some helpful SF members I got an answer to this. After Alden takes the last out of the cxl shoe is shrinks back a bit, while when the last comes out of the cordovan, it does not shrink back. It's just the different characteristics of the leathers that cause this.
post #8586 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7 View Post
Looks like the cxl longwings have a reverse welt, while the whiskeys have a regular welt. The reverse welt will give the appearance of the shoe being wider.

In terms of the whiskey fitting a tad looser, thanks to some helpful SF members I got an answer to this. After Alden takes the last out of the cxl shoe is shrinks back a bit, while when the last comes out of the cordovan, it does not shrink back. It's just the different characteristics of the leathers that cause this.

Mmm, makes me wonder if I should go 1 full size down for Cordovan Barrie lasts oppose to Alden's suggestion of going just half a size down.
post #8587 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7 View Post
Looks like the cxl longwings have a reverse welt, while the whiskeys have a regular welt. The reverse welt will give the appearance of the shoe being wider.

In terms of the whiskey fitting a tad looser, thanks to some helpful SF members I got an answer to this. After Alden takes the last out of the cxl shoe is shrinks back a bit, while when the last comes out of the cordovan, it does not shrink back. It's just the different characteristics of the leathers that cause this.

Actually, both shoes have the reverse welt. You just can't see it that clearly in the photos because the leather strip is dyed to same color as the sole edge.
post #8588 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlieu View Post
Mmm, makes me wonder if I should go 1 full size down for Cordovan Barrie lasts oppose to Alden's suggestion of going just half a size down.

Tom, you have any thoughts on this?
post #8589 of 122416
It's been a slow week in the Alden world.
post #8590 of 122416
Alden of Carmel says Aberdeen last fits "slightly longer than regular U.S. size"

if I wear an 8.5 D Barrie, 8.5 E AE Park Avenue (a long, narrow last) a 9D in most standard lasts (albeit a slightly short 9d) what are the odds I would be 8.5D Aberdeen?
post #8591 of 122416
longwings on half Commando sole.

rainy day black shoes - check.
LL
post #8592 of 122416
epaulet posted their whiskey longwings, if anyone happens to be looking...
post #8593 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7 View Post
Tom, you have any thoughts on this?

I wouldn't size down a full length.

Don't forget to take width and arch length into consideration when sizing as well though...
post #8594 of 122416
Tom,

I noticed your famous #4 PTB will soon be coming in other colors. how is this shoe diferent than a standard ptb?

Quote:
The 4×4 PTB is a four eyelet plain toe "Nassau" blucher on the Barrie last, in Horween color #4 shell cordovan
post #8595 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post
Tom,

I noticed your famous #4 PTB will soon be coming in other colors. how is this shoe diferent than a standard ptb?

It is a 4x4 lacing style ... more like a shoe version of the chukka. Look at the #4 PTB and the regular PTB near the lacing area and you'll see the difference. The NST blucher is different from these two as well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.