It shouldn't make a difference in wear. Enjoy them!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 5678post #85156 of 1224166/21/14 at 10:26ampost #85157 of 1224166/21/14 at 10:30ampost #85158 of 1224166/21/14 at 10:36ampost #85159 of 1224166/21/14 at 10:39amJust a guess but shell being a natural product means it is not uniform some shell maybe slightly more porous than other shell. As such the dye isn't accepted the same from batch to batch. Basically the dying of shell is not an exact science and variation is expected.post #85160 of 1224166/21/14 at 10:44amQuote:Originally Posted by bespoken pa
Just a guess but shell being a natural product means it is not uniform some shell maybe slightly more porous than other shell. As such the dye isn't accepted the same from batch to batch. Basically the dying of shell is not an exact science and variation is expected.
I would think so, too, but curious if they can test a batch of shell to see how porous it is, then adjust the dye's shade accordingly (i.e. less porous shell should get a darker dye because it can't absorb as much). I don't know.post #85161 of 1224166/21/14 at 10:46am
agreed. would gladly have the PTB that just arrived in that same shade as the chukka, along with the cigar indy I received from TSM during that crazy sale. i won't complain at the darker shade, I just wish I could get that slight olive tonepost #85162 of 1224166/21/14 at 10:47ampost #85163 of 1224166/21/14 at 10:52amQuote:
Keep in mind that the patina can bring out some of that olive tone, at least from what I've seen in photos.post #85164 of 1224166/21/14 at 11:37ampost #85165 of 1224166/21/14 at 11:47amQuote:
Order placed. Thanks!
Curious why in this case there was only a slight selection of sizes, since this wasn't announced to my knowledge and might actually be for Monday.
I wear an 8D but grabbed a 7.5E. Should fit (I hope).post #85166 of 1224166/21/14 at 12:01pmpost #85167 of 1224166/21/14 at 12:04pmQuote:Originally Posted by green garden
Wanted to get some opinion around this...On a whim, I bought these white suede 2nds from TSM. The only defect in the shoe is this welt stitching. I'm pretty satisfied with the shoe other than being worried that the welt will unravel. Can anyone chime in whether this is a major construction defect and would affect longevity of the shoe? Thanks.
No, it won't unravel. They use a lock-stitch, so each individual stitch is firmly locked in place.
See the animation here: http://home.howstuffworks.com/sewing-machine1.htmpost #85168 of 1224166/21/14 at 12:04pmpost #85169 of 1224166/21/14 at 12:06pmpost #85170 of 1224166/21/14 at 12:10pmQuote:Quote:
While that's a relatively sloppy example, that's just where the welt starts and stops. The inside heel breast is the traditional location to start and finish stitching the welt. Split-reverse welts are worse for showing this due to their heft.
@sacafotos your shoes have this as well, assuming they are 360 degree welted. If they are 270 degree welted, then the welt simply ends here and a smooth transition is made to a heel seat that is nailed on. If your shoes are 360 degree welted and have a flat welt, then it may not be as immediately visible, but it's still there. In other words, this has nothing to do with the leather the shoes are made from. It's due to the construction method employed and all welted shoes at all quality ranges and brands have a joint here.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 2 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 3 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Pant's too tapered? 4 minutes ago
- › Looking for an affordable brand of suits, (canvased) 6 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 6 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 11 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 15 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...