or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 565  

post #8461 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAB View Post
My Alden boots (top right and bottom row)


Slab-
nice collection, can you tell us which are which? for the novice, thanks.
post #8462 of 122416
[quote=zinman74;3928914]Ok, here are my J. Gilbert Plaza last cap toe boots in Color 8 with commando sole. Sorry the pics aren't great, but you can get an idea of the shape and the deep color.



QUOTE]

Great looking boots!
post #8463 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
Slab-
nice collection, can you tell us which are which? for the novice, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAB View Post
from top left to bottom right
Red Wing 875
Whites Semi Dress (for trade)
Alden cordovan #8 jumper
Alden calf kidskin cap toe boots
Alden Roy chrome excel PTB
Alden Indy (canvas lined)

All of the Aldens are on the Trubalance last, except the kidskin boots which are on the modified last.
post #8464 of 122416
Can anyone give a rundown on which lasts are the most comfortable...
I know this is based on your foot, but like to see what people's opinions on comfort based on lasts...
post #8465 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphman View Post
Can anyone give a rundown on which lasts are the most comfortable... I know this is based on your foot, but like to see what people's opinions on comfort based on lasts...
Asked and answered. Like you said, everybody's foot is different. For me, who has a wider foot, the Plaza and Aberdeen lasts just do not work. I tend to like the Grant and Barrie Lasts for shoes and TruBalance for a boot.
post #8466 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphman View Post
Can anyone give a rundown on which lasts are the most comfortable...
I know this is based on your foot, but like to see what people's opinions on comfort based on lasts...
I have a wider, flatter foot. I enjoy the Trubalance and the Hampton. I wish they made boots on the Hampton last. Barrie is okay too.
post #8467 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by interlockingny View Post
Asked and answered.

Like you said, everybody's foot is different. For me, who has a wider foot, the Plaza and Aberdeen lasts just do not work. I tend to like the Grant and Barrie Lasts for shoes and TruBalance for a boot.

Dude, I am in the exact same boat. I love the trubalance - it is by far my favorite - but have boots and shoes on the grant that are comfortable, and my longwings and chukkas on the barrie are also good. For me, the plaza and hampton are ok, and I am not at all wild about aberdeen. It's long and narrow, neither of which suits me well. The van last absolutely doesn't work for me either.

My advice to novice Alden fans (not assuming anybody here is one, but just in case), for what it's worth, having made expensive fit mistakes, is that no matter how great Alden shoes look online and what the suggestions are on this forum, it's best to try shoes on in person to make sure you're comfortable in a given last before you drop serious dollars.
post #8468 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916 View Post
Dude, I am in the exact same boat. I love the trubalance - it is by far my favorite - but have boots and shoes on the grant that are comfortable, and my longwings and chukkas on the barrie are also good. For me, the plaza and hampton are ok, and I am not at all wild about aberdeen. It's long and narrow, neither of which suits me well. The van last absolutely doesn't work for me either.

My advice to novice Alden fans (not assuming anybody here is one, but just in case), for what it's worth, having made expensive fit mistakes, is that no matter how great Alden shoes look online and what the suggestions are on this forum, it's best to try shoes on in person to make sure you're comfortable in a given last before you drop serious dollars.
Completely agree, but one problem that I've run into (and very recently/expensively) is that what a boot feels like when you're trying it on is nothing like what it feels like in a week, month, or year. I think my new thing is going to be to buy a bunch of different sizes and lasts of well-worn Aldens off of Ebay and dial this in once and for all.
post #8469 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolla View Post
I think my new thing is going to be to buy a bunch of different sizes and lasts of well-worn Aldens off of Ebay and dial this in once and for all.

this really is a decent plan

especially when starting off, buying used shoes is a whole lot safer and cheaper than experimenting with new

once you are 100% sure what your size is and what styles you want, I think you are safer doing things like pre-ordering and such
post #8470 of 122416
What colors pair up nicely with #8?
What color belts do you guys wear with #8?
post #8471 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by edubs01 View Post
What colors pair up nicely with #8?
What color belts do you guys wear with #8?

1. almost anything
2. you can buy a color 8 belt, but I just roll with brown. its probably a crime but I like having fewer things
post #8472 of 122416
post #8473 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by edubs01 View Post
What colors pair up nicely with #8?
What color belts do you guys wear with #8?

I think an exact match can be a bit much.

I agree with brown. Maybe a dark shade.....
post #8474 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokely View Post
I think an exact match can be a bit much.

I agree with brown. Maybe a dark shade.....

I agree that #8 is extremely versatile. But I tend to think of it as more in the black family than in the brown. I would be more likely to wear a black belt with #8 shoes. But that is just me.
post #8475 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokely View Post
I think an exact match can be a bit much.

I agree with brown. Maybe a dark shade.....

I have a "merlot" belt from Allen Edmonds, which has just enough of a reddish tint to work with #8, but not enough to make it not work with other dark brown shoes. (IMHO)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.