or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 5558  

post #83356 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeebs View Post
 

For anyone trying to decide between Cigar and Ravello LWBs, be advised that Cigar LWB is King of the LWBs.  

If you own only one LWB, this should be it.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

It is so choice.  If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

 

Lavc52.20.1

 

While I agree that I would highly recommend getting a pair of the Cigar LWBs if means permits, I respectfully disagree with it being the King of the Gunboats.  For me, "king status" for the LWB demands some versatility.  The contrast in color with the antique edge makes it one-dimensionally casual. My ravello LWBs with dark edge can go casual to business casual (I even stretch it with suits that aren't super formal).  I reach for my ravello much more frequently than my cigar because of my particular attire.  This would be different if the edge and welt were dark brown.  I have my RL Wingtip Marlows for this role.

 

In the end, I reach for my 975 the most frequently among my collection of LWBs.

 

If there is a make-up that Cigar rules above all else it would have to be the chukka as its function suits the casual role in one's wardrobe quite well. :nodding:

... and I agree that whiskey suits the LHS marvelously.

post #83357 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzan View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 

I don't recall the latest run having a darker edge or welt.

 

Looks the same to me...

http://cdn.styleforum.net/1/1a/1a06bb49_A93Q0239.jpeg

 

That picture sure looks like a darker antique edge compared to Diggas shoes

 

I don't see the difference.  Digga's picture is in bright sunshine, and the ones in this link are in the shade.  The lighting may contribute to it looking a little different, but I think it's the same.  Of course, I could be wrong.

 

Also, be sure you're looking at the LWB and not the boots by its side.  The boots have commando soles and the toe area are actually black from the commando.

post #83358 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 

I don't see the difference.  Digga's picture is in bright sunshine, and the ones in this link are in the shade.  The lighting may contribute to it looking a little different, but I think it's the same.  Of course, I could be wrong.

 

Also, be sure you're looking at the LWB and not the boots by its side.  The boots have commando soles and the toe area are actually black from the commando.

 

Yeah fair enough, it's tough to tell. 

 

Here is a pic of a pair from Alden NY, not sure the edge details but it is very light as well like Diggas. I thought Alden SF did a run that was darker. I can't keep up with all the variations haha

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDRH View Post
 

Natural Light

 

 

 

Here is a pair that would be more my speed if I can find one at some point

 


Edited by Burzan - 5/31/14 at 9:09am
post #83359 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmix1891 View Post

Hey Mike, do you think it's worth putting my name down for both the cigar and ravello lwbs? It looks like the new ravello is very similar to the cigars now. Do you think after a month or two of wear, they may end up looking even more similar. 

Adam does the Ravello on the medium antique edging as well, I am the worst person to a ask if you should have both...

Why not to ask me if you should get both....


The AoC Ravello LWB from a year or so back...




-Mike
Edited by mdubs - 5/31/14 at 9:30am
post #83360 of 122416

Would anyone be kind enough to post a pic of cigar next to the new ravello? I saw a couple photos of the new ravello on here, but maybe a pic of them side by side a pair of cigars in the same lighting conditions would help me out. I want to buy both but not if the ravello has become significantly darker....

post #83361 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmix1891 View Post

Would anyone be kind enough to post a pic of cigar next to the new ravello? I saw a couple photos of the new ravello on here, but maybe a pic of them side by side a pair of cigars in the same lighting conditions would help me out. I want to buy both but not if the ravello has become significantly darker....

Give me a min, I have a new cigar and new Ravello LHS...

-Mike
post #83362 of 122416
Meow,



Here you go... Found this pic. Both of these are from the latest run done by TheShoeMart. Had them maybe a month?

-Mike
Edited by mdubs - 5/31/14 at 9:24am
post #83363 of 122416
did some weekend mac method on my pair of Brixtons that desperately needed some TLC. These are about 3 years old now (I think) and I've worn them at least once per week since I bought them. After some quick brushing and buffing, they look (almost) good as new. Clear examples here of why #8 is still king:


post #83364 of 122416
That boot is solid bg, shame epaulete does not do as many shell make ups as they once did.
post #83365 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 

I don't recall the latest run having a darker edge or welt.

 

Looks the same to me...

http://cdn.styleforum.net/1/1a/1a06bb49_A93Q0239.jpeg

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post
 

The latest run with Alden SF has a darker edge. Some people like the contrast of the lighter edge and some people prefer the versatility of darker edge.  

Here's link for the recent Alden SF cigar LWB

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/79830#post_7095696

post #83366 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post
 

Somebody wanted pictures for SF Aldens Cigar LWB? The edges are pretty dark, which makes it great for work shoes. 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

Reposting from that link ^^^^

post #83367 of 122416
This is a nice makeup from Tassels.

post #83368 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by circleslife View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post
 

Somebody wanted pictures for SF Aldens Cigar LWB? The edges are pretty dark, which makes it great for work shoes.

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

Reposting from that link ^^^^

Those are certainly darker, but I guarantee you that welt and edge is not "mid tan antique," or any other version of antique.  That is a dark brown (maybe black, can't tell for sure) welt and edge.  I'm pretty certain that is not what you can expect form the AoC run of cigar LWBs coming later this year, at least according to the different accounts people were posting in the middle of the night earlier today.  Talk about excitement! :lol:

 

Thanks for the repost.  Forgot about these... very different, but beautiful in their own right!

post #83369 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeebs View Post
 

For anyone trying to decide between Cigar and Ravello LWBs, be advised that Cigar LWB is King of the LWBs.  

If you own only one LWB, this should be it.

 

It is so choice.  If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

 

Lavc52.20.1

 

 

This is kind of my feeling as well.  And, while it'd be cool to get some Ravello, I'm just not sure about how many pairs of LWBs I need.  I know that's decidedly the minority viewpoint here, thought.

post #83370 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by brp2 View Post

This is kind of my feeling as well.  And, while it'd be cool to get some Ravello, I'm just not sure about how many pairs of LWBs I need.  I know that's decidedly the minority viewpoint here, thought.
I agree with you. I'm all done at two pairs. Whiskey and #8.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.