or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 550  

post #8236 of 122416
Yeah, cost definitely doesn't have anything to do with it. They could charge me much much more and I'd order them all day long. It's more about supply.
post #8237 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by crp709 View Post
any luck with your heel problem?
kinda but not really. they're ok for the first part of the day, but as the day goes on and my feet swell, they are very uncomfortable. therefore, i am assuming the shoes are just a touch too small.

at this point i think i've conceded these aren't for me as i just can't get the fit dialed in. i'll be putting these up on the b&s soon. if anyone is interested in a 9D with about a 15 wears and taken care of, send me a PM and I can get you some pics. I'm open to offers and I think I'm accommodating - johhnyrich7 can vouch for me.

also, i work in a pretty casual office environment, so the indy boots aren't that practical for everyday wear anyway, no need for workboots to go sit behind a computer. i really like aldens and their classic american styles, so i'd like to get some that would fit my needs better than the indies. i'm thinking of a chukka on a barrie last. i live in seattle, so a commando sole or double oiled leather waterlock is probably most appropriate for day in day out... something along the lines of these:
http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/201...el-chukka-lsw/
http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...do_Sole_88.htm

i think i'm going to walk down to j gilbert at lunch to see what they have. anyone else have a suggestion for a good everyday, casual alden appropriate for the seattle gloom? longwings perhaps? i'm leaning toward cowhide, i feel like cordovan is a little too formal for me
post #8238 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100 yrs View Post

at this point i think i've conceded these aren't for me as i just can't get the fit dialed in. i'll be putting these up on the b&s soon. if anyone is interested in a 9D with about a 15 wears and taken care of, send me a PM and I can get you some pics. I'm open to offers and I think I'm accommodating - johhnyrich7 can vouch for me.

I can certainly vouch for him and say he was extremely accommodating. Anyone thinking of buying these should have no reservations whatsoever.

Good luck with the sale.
post #8239 of 122416
Hey guys I have a quick question,

I own a few different pairs of Aldens (405s, long wings, chukkas) but have never owned a pair of loafers from them.

My question is: How would a loafer fit compared to a blucher on the same last? With a blucher you can obviously tighten the uppers with the laces. But on the loafers you only have the one "size".

Currently I have 11.5 bluchers in a D width and an E width both on the Barrie. My D fits snug on the vamp with the uppers totally parallel when laced tight. My E width fits comfy on the vamp but the uppers lace in a V shape tapering towards the top (my leg) because I have a wide, flat foot but skinny ankle.

What width should I go with when it comes to loafers (Van last to be specific)?
post #8240 of 122416
Got my first pair of Aldens: cigar longwings from Alden of Carmel yesterday. Adam was accommodating of my requests and e-mails over a period of months. I haven't had a chance to lace them up yet, but looks good so far. Let's see what all the hype is about.
post #8241 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennui View Post
Got my first pair of Aldens: cigar longwings from Alden of Carmel yesterday. Adam was accommodating of my requests and e-mails over a period of months. I haven't had a chance to lace them up yet, but looks good so far. Let's see what all the hype is about.

Lets see a picture of those bad boys!!
post #8242 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post
I think it has more to do with lack of supply. it doesn't make sense for a company as large as Alden to order enough shell to make 20 pairs of shoes. just not enough ROI in real dollars to make it worth their while.

for a similar reason, it's probably why Allen Edmonds only goes with 2 primary shell colors.

re: cost, judging by how fast ravello and whiskey special makeups fly off the shelves at leathersoul et al, they could probably charge MORE.

It's inefficient for both parties - Horween would need to set themselves up to make a special color, and as is the case with many things, the set up is the hard part and the manufacture is easy, quantity has no bearing once your stations are locked in. On the Alden side, if they only made 20 pairs of shoes from the unique color, they'd have tons of edge scraps from the cut out shells they couldn't use on anything else, and their material cost might go up some significant percentage that they'd need to charge for. Also, what would happen if they made an order of special leather, used it up, and then had returns or something for internal flaws that were undetectable on the final factory inspection or some freak reason? they wouldn't be able to remake/repair any of them for customers.
post #8243 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard View Post
Lets see a picture of those bad boys!!

I'll see if I have time tonight to snap a couple of pictures and post them, though I'm sure half of this board has seen cigar longwings before. Considering half of my non-sneaker shoes are Varvatos , these shoes are obviously a step up just by inspection.
post #8244 of 122416
Tom, I'd really like a dark brown suede wingtip boot, similar to the one that won your first Alden contest (Phil S.'s boot). Anything like that coming down the pike?
post #8245 of 122416
That would be cool, wingtip boots in general are a win! Specifically in cordovan....
post #8246 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
Those U-tips are on the Leydon Last, which is sleeker than Trubalance by several orders of magnitude (at least for Aldens). Also they would have been better as NSTs.



Yes it is. No offense Tom.



None taken?

She shoe looks poorly-proportioned as a blucher instead of a boot, no matter how sleek Tom's make up is. The big toe and the relatively fat laces make it look clunky. I know there are some people on the forum who won't even wear the Trubalance last.

That said, I love my 403s. Moving along...

Edit: I do remember liking Tom's Hawaiian stompers, and still do. Something about the tonal stitching and the chunky sole.


I can't find the appeal of indy boots at all...even in boot form i find the trubalance last off
post #8247 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffmartin17 View Post
I can't find the appeal of indy boots at all...even in boot form i find the trubalance last off

The appeal comes from the comfort -- it is one of the better fitting boots I own. I also happen to like the looks a lot.
post #8248 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffmartin17 View Post
I can't find the appeal of indy boots at all...even in boot form i find the trubalance last off

I certainly see the differences in lasts when the shoos are shown side by side, but on my feet . . . I honestly don't have any "problem" with the shape of the Indy boots.

I do love my 405's
post #8249 of 122416
Anyone here wear a size 8E? If you do, can you shoot me a pm. Got a question that needs resolving. Thanks.
post #8250 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue collar View Post
Hey guys I have a quick question,

I own a few different pairs of Aldens (405s, long wings, chukkas) but have never owned a pair of loafers from them.

My question is: How would a loafer fit compared to a blucher on the same last? With a blucher you can obviously tighten the uppers with the laces. But on the loafers you only have the one "size".

Currently I have 11.5 bluchers in a D width and an E width both on the Barrie. My D fits snug on the vamp with the uppers totally parallel when laced tight. My E width fits comfy on the vamp but the uppers lace in a V shape tapering towards the top (my leg) because I have a wide, flat foot but skinny ankle.

What width should I go with when it comes to loafers (Van last to be specific)?
Blue collar, I am a 10.5D in chukka on Barrie and have calfskin leisure hand sewn loafers on Van I believe in 11D. They are among my most comfortable! But you really should try them on first. My instep is not super high, but I know people who do have a high instep and it could make a difference. Over time (7 years since new) the fit just gets better. One interesting thing...I just had them restored by Alden and new they were a Chestnut brown and they have come back almost cordovan. I had been using a darker brown polish, and I'm not displeased with the color, but I was surprised given others' stories of patina removed by th restoration process. Anyway, good luck!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.