Ditto. For some reason, my NSTs on Barrie last sometimes make it through, but the others never do. Sorta negates the value of the PreCheck line.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 9:35 am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 5427post #81391 of 1224165/10/14 at 12:03pmpost #81392 of 1224165/10/14 at 12:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by Buckeye Nation
Quote:Originally Posted by eotm
Really dumb question. I just replaced my favorite pair of BB cordovan loafers with the lined Alden equivalent. I fly frequently and generally go through the TSA Precheck line (where you can keep shoes on). The Aldens set the metal detector off, where the BB loaders didn't. Anyone know why this is?
And for those who will say loafers are meant to be slipped off I sometimes go sockless and don't cherish the thought to walking barefoot on that floor.
I never had the BB version, but I have the exact same problem - I travel regularly, and I picked up these LHS to use as an airport shoe.
It sets off the scanners, and then I end up looking silly in footy socks or walking barefoot which makes my skin crawl...
So yea, I've not brought them on my last few trips
Seriously, though, that sucks. I just signed up for Precheck and was looking forward to keeping my Aldens on my feet. Guess I'll have to wear AEs on travel days instead.post #81393 of 1224165/10/14 at 12:25pmpost #81394 of 1224165/10/14 at 12:53pmQuote:
Yep, we can thank Richard Reid for that - I'm TSA Pre and I always take off my Aldens, which is great because I get to listen to people telling me I don't need to do that in "this" line....post #81395 of 1224165/10/14 at 1:39pmQuote:
HaHa. I get that every time as well. I tried to explain the first few times, but usually doesn't buy you much. Loafers are nice because they are quicker...
-Mikepost #81396 of 1224165/10/14 at 2:17pmpost #81397 of 1224165/10/14 at 3:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by chrisefi
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Quote:
Where are these makeups from?
PTBs are BB and LWBs are J Crew... various retailers have the same or similar make-ups.post #81398 of 1224165/10/14 at 4:38pmQuote:
All of my Alden's have always set off the machines. I ended up getting some cordovan slip - on cordovan dress shoes from EG just for travel to avoid ruining the benefits of the pre check line. And they go off and on easily when pre check is not available.post #81399 of 1224165/10/14 at 4:39pmpost #81400 of 1224165/10/14 at 4:44pm
Hey guys, I was wondering since a good number of you guys own both a pair of 975s and marlow wingtips, which do you prefer if price is the same. On ebay, brand new marlows and 975s cost roughly the same. So with price being equal, which do you prefer? I know this is an Alden forum but I really want to hear your unbiased thoughts. Excuse me but I will be cross posting this in the RL CJ thread as well. BTW I already own some lindricks which I got on ebay.post #81401 of 1224165/10/14 at 4:46pmpost #81402 of 1224165/10/14 at 4:56pmQuote:Originally Posted by Jinxh
Hey guys, I was wondering since a good number of you guys own both a pair of 975s and marlow wingtips, which do you prefer if price is the same. On ebay, brand new marlows and 975s cost roughly the same. So with price being equal, which do you prefer? I know this is an Alden forum but I really want to hear your unbiased thoughts. Excuse me but I will be cross posting this in the RL CJ thread as well. BTW I already own some lindricks which I got on ebay.
I really like the Marlow wingtips and I'm not usually a shortwings person. Having said that, there is no better all-around, more stylish shoe than the Alden 975 in color 8 IMO. Got nothing to do with being on an Alden forum, just a fact in my mind.post #81403 of 1224165/10/14 at 5:00pmQuote:
hmmm I dunno If I have ever seen a choco suede indy shoe.
Leather Soul does V-tip shoes like these:
Or you could get an moc toe like these:
Edit: Add one more to this list that I know is actually available right now. JGilbert has a reverse tobacco chamois on a oiled waterloc sole.
Edited by Bobbo316 - 5/10/14 at 5:18pmpost #81404 of 1224165/10/14 at 6:28pmI personally wouldn't buy any Ralph Lauren on eBay for a while. They feel "hot" to me, since a good bit of the stuff being sold was purchased unethically using the leaked employee coupon code. Just my personal stance, though many see it differently, and that's cool.post #81405 of 1224165/10/14 at 7:04pmQuote:
J Gilbert has an indy shoe - either dark suede or rough chamis, if I remember right. Leffot has indy shoes in blue suede and milk shade suede ( an off white) and, I think, in natural chromexel. Haberdash in Chicago also has the milkshake suede Indy shoe. I think Tassels in Hong Kong stocks a suede Indy Shoe as well.
You may also want to consider for a similar look the mocassin in blucher - I don't know if that is the tight name, but the shoe looks like the Lhs loafer, but it secures with laces. Alden NY has that model in color 8 cordovan and a number of other retailers - Unipair in Seoul particularly comes to mind- offer it in cordovan, CXL and suede.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 39 seconds ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 3 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 5 minutes ago
- › Epaulet Original Rivet Herringbone Moleskin 36 7 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 9 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 10 minutes ago
- › Cheaney 13 minutes ago
- › ethan's Musing on the Near East 14 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 16 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding