or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 5414  

post #81196 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

cigar Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




blinding shine!!
post #81197 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

If for both business and casual wear, I would suggest the black shell NST or monochromatic saddle. These two models can pull double duty, although the NST, for me, would not be worn with a suit. As for the other models you mentioned, i personally put the 2146 in the business only category and the chukka on
Commando in the casual only category. All are good models.

I agree with this assessment of the 2146 and the chukka. I would differ as to the conclusion as to the nst. I would (and do) where black and color 8 shell NST's with suits as well as sports coats and slacks. Wearing NST's with suits may be unorthodox or a stretch of traditional rules of formality as to footwear, but the model is so unique and good-looking, who cares? With NST'S with stitching that contrasts with the color of the shoe, I would consider too casual for suits (except for casual suits like seersucker or poplin).
post #81198 of 122416
Thoughts on the New Dark Tan LWB from TSM? Nice shade. Never seen it before and it's close to Whiskey shell, I think.

Thinking of picking this up and not holding out for a lighter shell this year. Thoughts?
post #81199 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
cigar




post #81200 of 122416
not sure if it has been mentioned yet but PSA: TSM has Cigar LWB avail in 9 and 11.

Niiiiiiiiice.
post #81201 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacafotos View Post

Thoughts on the New Dark Tan LWB from TSM? Nice shade. Never seen it before and it's close to Whiskey shell, I think.

Thinking of picking this up and not holding out for a lighter shell this year. Thoughts?
That is a really nice shade. If I didn't already have whiskey I'd be all over them.
post #81202 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldenwear View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

If for both business and casual wear, I would suggest the black shell NST or monochromatic saddle. These two models can pull double duty, although the NST, for me, would not be worn with a suit. As for the other models you mentioned, i personally put the 2146 in the business only category and the chukka on
Commando in the casual only category. All are good models.

I agree with this assessment of the 2146 and the chukka. I would differ as to the conclusion as to the nst. I would (and do) where black and color 8 shell NST's with suits as well as sports coats and slacks. Wearing NST's with suits may be unorthodox or a stretch of traditional rules of formality as to footwear, but the model is so unique and good-looking, who cares? With NST'S with stitching that contrasts with the color of the shoe, I would consider too casual for suits (except for casual suits like seersucker or poplin).

We can agree to disagree. fistbump.gif

I suspect there are others on here that wear black and 8 NSTs with suits. I have no problem with that. I just happen not to. However, I do wear them with SC's and dressier trousers.
post #81203 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


That is a really nice shade. If I didn't already have whiskey I'd be all over them.

Yeah, I may call and pick up a pair. Is it a "custom bootmaker edition" because Alden doesn't typically stock LWBs in that leather color?

post #81204 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacafotos View Post

Thoughts on the New Dark Tan LWB from TSM? Nice shade. Never seen it before and it's close to Whiskey shell, I think.

Thinking of picking this up and not holding out for a lighter shell this year. Thoughts?


I have the J Crew tobacco waxed blucher.  It was my gateway to Alden shell.  It is very similar to the tan calf LWB (if not the same).  It is a fine shoe that I still wear frequently.

 

Post pics if/when you pick them up.  Good luck...

post #81205 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacafotos View Post

Yeah, I may call and pick up a pair. Is it a "custom bootmaker edition" because Alden doesn't typically stock LWBs in that leather color?
TSM marketing team at work.
post #81206 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post


We can agree to disagree. fistbump.gif

I suspect there are others on here that wear black and 8 NSTs with suits. I have no problem with that. I just happen not to. However, I do wear them with SC's and dressier trousers.

Of course that is right.  As I said, I understand the point about even the shell NST's (and the black and burgundy calf versions too) not being appropriate for suits and, from a tradition standpoint (and, of course, as a matter of personal taste), that is probably the correct view.  

 

My first sighting of NSTs was many moons ago on a work colleague who trained me.  He wore black calf nst's with navy and charcoal suits regularly.  I was flabbergasted by the style when I first saw it:  thought they looked like shoes that had not been finished being made.  He explained that the shoes were supposed to look like that, and that the stitching was done by hand  and took training and skill to create.  The style grew on me, and I have followed suit (pun intended) in wearing with the suits as well as more casual dress.  Bowing to great design, shoe-making skill and my version of good looks, I defiantly push the envelope of good taste with NSTs at the bottom of conservative suits.

 

No NST's as bedroom slippers.  And NST's with tuxedos or white tie.  I do draw the line there.  

post #81207 of 122416
Quick question for the experts... Hypothetically, if I was a 12.5D Barrie, could a 13C (Barrie) work for me?
post #81208 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

The 993 (black shell mono saddle) is a seldom mentioned - almost never seen (at least on the thread) - stock model. It and the 994 are probably the sleekest Barrie models Alden makes (flat welt, 270 welt, single leather). When I wear mine (993 and 994) I many times get favorable comments.

I've actually been wondering about the black mono saddle as a dress shoe since it's so subdued. Thoughts?
post #81209 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post

not sure if it has been mentioned yet but PSA: TSM has Cigar LWB avail in 9 and 11.

Niiiiiiiiice.

Am I blind or are they gone now? Can't find them on the TSM website.
post #81210 of 122416

first click on the black or color 8 version then you'll have the option to select cigar

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.