Thrilled to hear it worked out well and you are pleased!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 5395post #80911 of 1224165/5/14 at 3:11pmpost #80912 of 1224165/5/14 at 3:14pmpost #80913 of 1224165/5/14 at 3:17pmpost #80914 of 1224165/5/14 at 3:20pmpost #80915 of 1224165/5/14 at 3:22pmpost #80916 of 1224165/5/14 at 3:35pmQuote:
agreed. never received dust cloths, and only one shoe horn ever (that might have also came from DC with ravello lwb)post #80917 of 1224165/5/14 at 4:21pmpost #80918 of 1224165/5/14 at 4:25pmpost #80919 of 1224165/5/14 at 4:39pmQuote:
Yeah, I was never very good at that so I'm learning now. It's not so much that we have to save every extra penny we earn as much as don't waste money on luxury items. If I 'needed' a pair of shoes, sure I'd buy them. But no one needs a $700 pair of shoes, especially when you already own over 20 pairs of shoes. I can't really say much to her about it because she doesn't buy any luxury items. She's the opposite of most women in that she doesn't want expensive shoes or handbags. I mean, she'd love a Chanel bag but she's of the mindset that she can buy whatever bag she wants once our mortgage is paid off in 10-15 years so she doesn't mind waiting. Or she'd rather spend that bag/shoe money to go on a trip to Europe.post #80920 of 1224165/5/14 at 4:40pmQuote:
I wouldn't say that it is comfortable, per sae. The neocork is solid and impervious to everything. However, you may want to put in a thin Tacco Woody insert if you are doing much walking in them.post #80921 of 1224165/5/14 at 4:45pmQuote:
And they are heavy as hell. The heaviest sole of all I think (heavier than crepe or double leather). They are my least favorite sole.post #80922 of 1224165/5/14 at 5:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by Vicious49
Yeah, I was never very good at that so I'm learning now. It's not so much that we have to save every extra penny we earn as much as don't waste money on luxury items. If I 'needed' a pair of shoes, sure I'd buy them. But no one needs a $700 pair of shoes, especially when you already own over 20 pairs of shoes. I can't really say much to her about it because she doesn't buy any luxury items. She's the opposite of most women in that she doesn't want expensive shoes or handbags. I mean, she'd love a Chanel bag but she's of the mindset that she can buy whatever bag she wants once our mortgage is paid off in 10-15 years so she doesn't mind waiting. Or she'd rather spend that bag/shoe money to go on a trip to Europe.
Your wife doesn't happen to be a redhead named Elizabeth does she? Just asking because she sounds like the woman I've been married to for 17 years now.post #80923 of 1224165/5/14 at 5:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by sacafotos
I'm on the fence about a 975. I want one, but I also have a pair of AE Dalton boots in burgundy shell. It's a short wing, but has a dark edge dressing and I think there'd be some overlap.
Still, a non boot is generally more comfortable to wear. The Leffot version has a soft flex sole, and the Alden of Carmel version has a commando sole (!).
I'm starting to wear more cords and chinos vs denim, FYI.
The AE Dalton in bugundy shell does not overlap with the 975, imho. I reach for the 975 far more than the dalton, but I am not so much a boot guy. I also own the AoC color 8 shortwing blucher on commando. I generally wear it in the fall and winter when the weather is frequently wet. Some overlap with 975, but I wear them differently.
The answer here always involves, "buying all options!" post #80924 of 1224165/5/14 at 5:13pmQuote:Originally Posted by sazon
After many years or procrastinating, I've finally added the classic 975.
Have a great week gentlemen.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Quote:Originally Posted by totalair1
Finally got back in town and was able to open my Alden DC cigar captoe boots. I'm very pleased with the color, which is very similar to my older chukkas, and also the recent Alden NY LWB. No issues with QC on any of my recent pick ups. Before any of the fashion police comments on my jeans. I'm a big guy and it's really hard to find anything in my size for the "cool guy" jeans. The ones I'm wearing are Ralph Lauren. Hoping everyone has a great week!
Steve Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Gentlemen, those are some awesome shoes. Congrats to Saz on his new LWBs. Excellent taste in designs there. DV your Ravello NST is impeccable. Steve, nice Cigars and love the saddles B.
I need to post less pictures here. I think I am hurting my ability to get shoes. Oh well, guess I don't need more anyways.Quote:
That is the quote of the day my friend.Quote:Originally Posted by totalair1
For those of you that missed out on the Leffot LWB craze today...I emailed them and asked for a larger size which was not on the pre-sale, they confirmed it, and I paid immediately as required. This might work for any size? Anyway I'm on the Leffot train to empty wallet! This will be my 1st pair from Leffot...I'm excited! This means I have cigar, whiskey, black and #8 in LWB. All I need for my Mikefecta (term used for those who can acquire all colors in less than 2 years) is Ravello. Bonus round includes #2, but I would be happy to hit the normal mikefecta.
Steve, you insult me. I got my Whiskey, Ravello x 3, and Cigar in 4 months. ;-) Unfortunately, I don't think I would be able to do it again.
Congrats to all who got the #8 on Antique LWBs today. Those are definitely a cool design. I couldn't get to a phone or computer at the right time, so my decision was made for me.
-Mikepost #80925 of 1224165/5/14 at 5:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by sacafotos
I think the Leffot #8 LWB does better with casual outfits than the stock 975 does with dressier outfits (my opinion). I also agree about the 974; I think that's classier than both shoes and, until I acquire a 974, I might use my AE Daltons with the dressier outfits. I think that works and, even if it's not a balmoral (hah), I enjoy wearing it because it's my personal style.
Any experience with shell LWBs versus calf of the same size? I've heard the fit isn't always the same, i.e. one is sometimes more snug. I'm sure it's due to how the leather holds it's shape over the last.
A) Not sure how the AE Daltons would be a better fit with dressier suit options, but who is anyone to argue with personal style. The Daltons are sleeker than the 975, but I personally think the 975 is a far classier look. (just mho).
B) My personal experience is that the calf LWBs fit larger than the shell. If you read throughout this thread, you will see that many have suggested that shell versions of the same make-up will fit larger than calf because shell can not hold a last as snug or tight as calf and therefore the shell will fit bigger/looser than calf. I have not found that to be true with the various LWBs I own.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › MC General Chat 19 seconds ago
- › Kent Wang - Affiliate thread 20 seconds ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 53 seconds ago
- › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread 1 minute ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 2 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 5 minutes ago
- › Nicholas Templeman: A Bespoke Shoemaker 5 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion 6 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...