or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 5390  

post #80836 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


StyleForum!


There is a bit of truth to this.

Social Media is another big explanation.

post #80837 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo316 View Post


There is a bit of truth to this.
Social Media is another big explanation.
I agree.
#alden #shellcordovan
post #80838 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


StyleForum!

This is exactly how I learned about Alden for the first time.

post #80839 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


StyleForum!

Yes, people start following the Alden thread on styleforum because Alden's are cool and they want to learn more about them and where they can find them.  They are not independent of one other.  (According to my theory)

 

So you are suggesting that they are not any "cooler" than they were 5 years ago, people are just more aware them because of styleforum?  Not sure those are independent of each other either.

 

As alcebiades points out, they have been getting PR from GQ and other fashion blogs and magazines as well.  This also supports my theory that they have become "Cool".  Not that I read those magazines, but I doubt if they have been promoting JNCO jeans lately, if you get what I'm saying...

post #80840 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post
 

Yes, people start following the Alden thread on styleforum because Alden's are cool and they want to learn more about them and where they can find them.  They are not independent of one other.  (According to my theory)

 

So you are suggesting that they are not any "cooler" than they were 5 years ago, people are just more aware them because of styleforum?  Not sure those are independent of each other either.

 

As alcebiades points out, they have been getting PR from GQ and other fashion blogs and magazines as well.  This also supports my theory that they have become "Cool".  Not that I read those magazines, but I doubt if they have been promoting JNCO jeans lately, if you get what I'm saying...

I think I'm getting hung up on what you mean by "cool."  I gathered from your first post that you thought that more people wear Aldens because they want people to like them (i.e. peer pressure).  Do you really mean "cool" as in fashionable?  Maybe I'm reading into your posts more than I should.

post #80841 of 122416
post #80842 of 122416
A lot of people think "cool" and "trendy" are pejorative terms. Not necessarily. More people like stuff that is objectively good nowadays.
post #80843 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post
 

Yes, people start following the Alden thread on styleforum because Alden's are cool and they want to learn more about them and where they can find them.  They are not independent of one other.  (According to my theory)

 

So you are suggesting that they are not any "cooler" than they were 5 years ago, people are just more aware them because of styleforum?  Not sure those are independent of each other either.

 

As alcebiades points out, they have been getting PR from GQ and other fashion blogs and magazines as well.  This also supports my theory that they have become "Cool".  Not that I read those magazines, but I doubt if they have been promoting JNCO jeans lately, if you get what I'm saying...


I agree with this.

 

Its a bit of both. "Cool" due to promotion.

As well as aware, due to Styleforum, Twitter... etc.

post #80844 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo316 View Post


No, I don't mean it that way at all. I apologize if it came off that way.
I myself am in my 30's and have more pair of shoes/jeans/shirts... etc than I even care to count.

Fashion is important to this generation and the generation after mine. You spend how many years in college earning a diploma so you can afford things like this.
Alden is a fashionable brand right now! Don't believe me, use Pinterest and do a quick search.

Certain brands like Alden have become the fashionable shoe right now and with things skyrocketing in cost, 500-600 dollars is not as much as it once was. I was trying to put it into perspective by comparing other common items (cell phones, briefcases, athletic shoes).

Not only that but appearance means alot in the job market. Any of you guys that are on hiring boards know that if a kid walked in wearing a nice pair of shoes and sporting a clean cut look you would definitely consider them over other candidates who couldnt even bother. Am I saying its right to do this no.

This is all opinionated but the Leffot Tankers and LW's selling out in hours if not minutes just goes to show you that I'm not spewing garbage.

I bought my first few Aldens at 20-21, 23 now. No debt or serious obligations make it pretty easy to afford as long as you manage your finances carefully. I think if I was 30 with a kid I would definitely not be spending any money on shoes, it'd go to mortgage and kids college / vacation.

$500 is quite a bit, pretty sure none of my friends would consider spending close to that on shoes although they will easily spend that on booze in a weekend. You buy one phone over two years so cost isn't that much compared to $500 a month on shoes
post #80845 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

Yes, people start following the Alden thread on styleforum because Alden's are cool and they want to learn more about them and where they can find them.  They are not independent of one other.  (According to my theory)

So you are suggesting that they are not any "cooler" than they were 5 years ago, people are just more aware them because of styleforum?  Not sure those are independent of each other either.

As alcebiades points out, they have been getting PR from GQ and other fashion blogs and magazines as well.  This also supports my theory that they have become "Cool".  Not that I read those magazines, but I doubt if they have been promoting JNCO jeans lately, if you get what I'm saying...
I can't speak for everyone. I know, for myself, I went to an Allen Edmonds shop after seeing them on the racks at Nordstrom Rack as I was just getting into US made footwear. Walked out with a pair of shell shoes because I just fell in love with them. Starting searching for shell cordovan shoes to see what else was out there. Saw a pair of Aldens that I HAD TO HAVE because they were gorgeous. Never heard of Alden before that eBay search.

Did I get into Alden because they were cool? No. Had I ever seen or heard of Alden outside of this forum? No. Some people do buy thigs because they are precieved to be cool, but you can't cast that blanket on everyone.

You sound like a hipster where as soon as something is known to other people besides your circle of friends it automatically isn't cool anymore.
post #80846 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post


I bought my first few Aldens at 20-21, 23 now. No debt or serious obligations make it pretty easy to afford as long as you manage your finances carefully. I think if I was 30 with a kid I would definitely not be spending any money on shoes, it'd go to mortgage and kids college / vacation.

$500 is quite a bit, pretty sure none of my friends would consider spending close to that on shoes although they will easily spend that on booze in a weekend. You buy one phone over two years so cost isn't that much compared to $500 a month on shoes


Haha! Agreed. Its all in where your priorities lie and how much disposable income you have.

 

I have plenty of friends who would much rather spend 1000's of dollars driving to a rave in some crazy city.

On the flip I have many who have way nicer wardrobes than I ever will.

post #80847 of 122416

Additionally, 2 years on a phone! Oh my, I would go crazy. I have the latest and greatest every 6 months at the most.

But thats a topic for another forum!

post #80848 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo316 View Post

Additionally, 2 years on a phone! Oh my, I would go crazy. I have the latest and greatest every 6 months at the most.
But thats a topic for another forum!
Only because new phones are cool right?
post #80849 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo316 View Post

Additionally, 2 years on a phone! Oh my, I would go crazy. I have the latest and greatest every 6 months at the most.
But thats a topic for another forum!
You are doing it wrong. Took me two years to get this patina on my iPhone 4.
post #80850 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


Only because new phones are cool right?


I see what you are getting at. Yes in a way.

 

I do use it for work as well, but I guess having things like a fingerprint scanner are not really essentials but Ill be darned if it isn't AWESOME!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.