This, it's pretty much sand and retint - nothing else to do...
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 5342post #80116 of 1224164/29/14 at 5:20pmpost #80117 of 1224164/29/14 at 5:25pmQuote:Originally Posted by mbaum
.. so I get the email notification and it begins with "My daily driver is a 1903 by J Peterman ..." and I go, wow, the Alden threat talks classic cars and that guy has a brass era classic that I have never heard off? Gotta check it out immediately.
And then I find out you are talking ... Cologne?
What a bummer ... Let's talk old cars!
Let's do that. I'd love to rock a Cigar Cap Toe in the 1941 Hupmobile!post #80118 of 1224164/29/14 at 5:29pmQuote:Your cigar color is so nice. My cigar ct boots are a couple of years old, mine look much darker even under direct sunlight. I may have to leave mine out to get some sun from time to time.Originally Posted by thams
One last round of pictures. Comparison of #8 AF53 and Cigar Cap Toe Boots. I chose the AF53's because they're the closest boot I have to the "traditional" eggplant color for the color comparison. Sorry for all the pictures - I'm just psyched about these boots. Dumb luck that I stumbled into them.post #80119 of 1224164/29/14 at 5:39pmQuote:
I was on the list for these a year or so ago, got call from Kathy......I was like ehhhh, I appreciate the call but I'm all set on cigar cordovan for now.post #80120 of 1224164/29/14 at 5:39pmpost #80121 of 1224164/29/14 at 5:42pmQuote:
Thank you! I'm digging the color too. I was afraid they would be really dark like some other batches I've seen. I agree that this run doesn't show any olive tones, but is more of a consistent chocolate brown. I'm going to let them fade naturally, so I'm looking forward to watching them age. Kathy said she's really happy with this batch.post #80122 of 1224164/29/14 at 5:43pmpost #80123 of 1224164/29/14 at 5:47pmQuote:Originally Posted by Shawnc
I'm going to try and slip this in among all the great cigar Captoe shots. A couple of months ago someone posted what amounted to a step by step tutorial on changing a black edge to an antique one. Thinking about trying this on a pair of color 8 monks I just picked up. If anyone can point me in the direction of the post it would be greatly appreciated.
I recently did this for my tanker. I started with sandpaper but found it easier/faster using a sharp utility knife to "shave" off the black edge dressing. Not as dangerous as one might imagine just make sure the blade is new and very sharp.post #80124 of 1224164/29/14 at 6:05pmQuote:
Just start with coarser sand paper and then smooth with a finer grit. (Just as you would use sand paper in any other application)post #80125 of 1224164/29/14 at 6:10pmQuote:
I have been leaving my recent ravello medallion captoe shoes in the sun and just hit with conditioner after. Not to offend anyone, but ravello used to be great, but now I think it's Alden's "Ugly Brown" shade (under most lighting). The weird thing is that on the side pieces I can see where Alden applied a lighter (or less) glaze and the potential of the color shows through.
The recent cigar shades though, seem absolutely perfect.post #80126 of 1224164/29/14 at 6:13pmQuote:
Now that's creative. Have to give that one some thought. Appreciate the response nemo. Thanks.post #80127 of 1224164/29/14 at 6:28pmpost #80128 of 1224164/29/14 at 6:46pmpost #80129 of 1224164/29/14 at 7:12pmpost #80130 of 1224164/29/14 at 7:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by smoothie1
This is how I feel about rare shell in general. It's amusing for me to recall just walking into Alden DC (among other stores) a few years ago, trying on various whiskey and cigar pairs, and just buying what I wanted--no list, no waiting, no pre-order, no hassle.
I also remember a professor at my alma mater who wore a pair of Ravello or whiskey chukkas pretty much everyday of instruction. The shoes looked really nice, but seemed conservative and appropriate for an octogenarian to wear during the rainy New England fall. At the time they were neither fashionable nor expensive. This old guy just wore his shoes in the rain, muck, and snow and didn't really worry about getting them wet or keeping his shoes in perfect condition.
I write all this because this whole rare status of shell and the idea that these conservative New England made shoes are fashionable and sold at J.Crew and boutiques where people wait months for pre-ordered shoes makes me double over in laughter. Glad I'm not really in the shell game for new (or rare) acquisitions.
Sometimes it's just pure luck. Last summer I bought a pair of Whisky short wing balmoral just by walking into Alden DC on a random day, and they even had different widths and sizes for me to try on.
On the same day I put my name onto the Cigar captoe boot list... which I still haven't received any call/email. My name is still on the list when I checked couple months ago, and if I don't get a pair this time, I can wait. I have more than enough shoes to occupy my two feet.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › NFL 2016-17 Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Official Leica Users Thread 1 minute ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 1 minute ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 2 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos,... 3 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 3 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 6 minutes ago
- › Epperson Mountaineering Navy Climb Pack Large 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...