or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 5331  

post #79951 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post
 

 

 

I respectfully disagree.  Perhaps it is because we are in different population segments?  I am in my 20's (barely) and until recently worked in gentrified Brooklyn. Alden is very "cool" among those I encountered there.

 

They are generally "cool" among those who wear a lot of clothes from J. Crew.

That could be it.  I'm in my lower 30's in Washington D.C. and I can honestly say that I hardly ever spot Alden sightings on the street (and I look...probably more than I should).  However, the folks I work with consider shoes over $100 to be trendy no matter the style.

post #79952 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


I guess I could see that. You guys are the only people I "know" that give a rats ass about fashion. So I guess we do run in different circles.

I do not consider myself among them.  That is just where my job happened to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thams View Post
 

That could be it.  I'm in my lower 30's in Washington D.C. and I can honestly say that I hardly ever spot Alden sightings on the street (and I look...probably more than I should).  However, the folks I work with consider shoes over $100 to be trendy no matter the style.

Then we are all back in agreement!

post #79953 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensanity View Post

Ok so fit questions. Just went to one JCrew and tried on their shell captoes (which I'm told is the Barrie last). I wear a 9EEE on the #5 last at Allen Edmonds.


Tried on the 8.5 and the 9. The 8.5s were very snug but felt like they fit the best. The 9s were ever so slightly loose. Both of them were a little tight on the top of my heel when walking. If I had to pick one of those two it'd be the 8.5s, which tells me I'm likely an 8.5E on the Barrie (I think all of their shoes are Ds and it was a little tight above my arch). The Grants I'm told are a bit thinner and you should size up a half. So thoughts are an 8.5E with the Barrie and a 9E on the Grant. Does that make sense? Do shells stretch a bit/what should the out of box fit be like? Thanks a ton!

Those boots happen to fit a little more snug than other barrie models.  You are likely an 8.5D in Barrie, and a 9D in most other lasts.

post #79954 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

 

Then we are all back in agreement!

Maybe?  I'm only trying to say that I don't know anyone who only buys Aldens because they're "cool."  But I understand your context and think it's a valid point.

post #79955 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

Those boots happen to fit a little more snug than other barrie models.  You are likely an 8.5D in Barrie, and a 9D in most other lasts.

Sweet deal. Thanks Bikes.
post #79956 of 122416
I'm pretty sure that 11 out of my 12 closest friends or perhaps 12 out of 12 of my closest friends have no clue what Alden is or care to know. Same goes for most who I work with. My buddies would also likely have a few smart remarks towards me if they knew what I paid "for a pair of shoes" haha. We are all in our low 30's. So, basically, I see no cool factor at play. I just love nice shoes - and not just Alden.
post #79957 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Clemson View Post

I'm pretty sure that 11 out of my 12 closest friends or perhaps 12 out of 12 of my closest friends have no clue what Alden is or care to know. Same goes for most who I work with. My buddies would also likely have a few smart remarks towards me if they knew what I paid "for a pair of shoes" haha. We are all in our low 30's. So, basically, I see no cool factor at play. I just love nice shoes - and not just Alden.

Amen, my good man.
post #79958 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post
 

Those boots happen to fit a little more snug than other barrie models.

As is the case with other boots as well.  My loden lady calf captoes from Unionmade are slightly slimmer than others on Barrie last in same exact size.  Not enough to really affect fit, but definitely a slight difference, which is highlighted by a more closely-cut welt than found on many other Barrie models.

post #79959 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensanity View Post

Ok so fit questions. Just went to one JCrew and tried on their shell captoes (which I'm told is the Barrie last). I wear a 9EEE on the #5 last at Allen Edmonds.


Tried on the 8.5 and the 9. The 8.5s were very snug but felt like they fit the best. The 9s were ever so slightly loose. Both of them were a little tight on the top of my heel when walking. If I had to pick one of those two it'd be the 8.5s, which tells me I'm likely an 8.5E on the Barrie (I think all of their shoes are Ds and it was a little tight above my arch). The Grants I'm told are a bit thinner and you should size up a half. So thoughts are an 8.5E with the Barrie and a 9E on the Grant. Does that make sense? Do shells stretch a bit/what should the out of box fit be like? Thanks a ton!

I am 9.5E on the AE 5 last and I wear 9.5D on the Barrie. I would say your true Barrie size would probably be 9.5E. This said, I recently purchased a pair of Alden Cap Toe boots on the Barrie last from the TSM and they indeed run a bit snug. I had to go up 1/2 size to 10D to get a proper fit. 

post #79960 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Clemson View Post

I'm pretty sure that 11 out of my 12 closest friends or perhaps 12 out of 12 of my closest friends have no clue what Alden is or care to know. Same goes for most who I work with. My buddies would also likely have a few smart remarks towards me if they knew what I paid "for a pair of shoes" haha. We are all in our low 30's. So, basically, I see no cool factor at play. I just love nice shoes - and not just Alden.


I think Alden's appeal to a younger crowd in a way Carmina and C&J dont. Certain pairs of boots/shoes remain well made but still give off the vintage prep kinda look.

I couldnt see myself wearing a pair of Carmina shoes with a pair of faded denim. Maybe thats just me.

 

Im in total agreance though, I would never tell my buddies what these things cost. I dont think they would even care honestly.

Tonight I got a compliment on a pair of Wingtip boots, "those shoes are awesome they look like they are from the 1920's". I love to hear things like this.

post #79961 of 122416
My finance knows about Alden, we have had some trip detours to Alden shops and speciality retailers. My friends, family and co-workers know about my shoe habits, however they have no idea what Alden is, nor do they care.
post #79962 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Clemson View Post

I'm pretty sure that 11 out of my 12 closest friends or perhaps 12 out of 12 of my closest friends have no clue what Alden is or care to know. Same goes for most who I work with. My buddies would also likely have a few smart remarks towards me if they knew what I paid "for a pair of shoes" haha. We are all in our low 30's. So, basically, I see no cool factor at play. I just love nice shoes - and not just Alden.

Maybe your friends aren't cool?  Just kidding.

 

 

Keep in mind, that just because something is not "cool" in certain parts of the country does not mean that it is not cool in other parts.

 

For example, it would be unreasonable to conclude that nobody wears cowboy boots just because I don't see anyone wearing cowboy boots in NYC.

 

Edit:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO Tie Guy View Post

My finance knows about Alden, we have had some trip detours to Alden shops and speciality retailers. My friends, family and co-workers know about my shoe habits, however they have no idea what Alden is, nor do they care.
 
Okay, let me rephrase.
 
Alden is "cool" within a certain segment of the population.  One that is big enough to generate significant demand relative to Alden's limited supply.
 
Perhaps this is a more agreeable way of saying it.
 
Of course Alden is not a household name to all people.  It is only a small portion of people that spend $500+ on shoes.
 
Those who don't buy expensive shoes are also likely unfamiliar with Carmina, Vass, Trickers, Ect.

Edited by Bakes11771 - 4/28/14 at 5:57pm
post #79963 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo316 View Post
 


I think Alden's appeal to a younger crowd in a way Carmina and C&J dont. Certain pairs of boots/shoes remain well made but still give off the vintage prep kinda look.

I couldnt see myself wearing a pair of Carmina shoes with a pair of faded denim. Maybe thats just me.

I agree.  I like the traditional look of most of the models.  They're understated, but pull together outfits well.  I feel like 30 years from now I'll still be able to wear them instead of wondering why the hell I purchased them in the first place.

post #79964 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

ravello vs. #8





Both are great colors, and I have plenty of models of each color. If I could only have one, it would be color 8 by a wide margin. Others will see it differently. I am ok with that.
post #79965 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by thams View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo316 View Post

I agree.  I like the traditional look of most of the models.  They're understated, but pull together outfits well.  I feel like 30 years from now I'll still be able to wear them instead of wondering why the hell I purchased them in the first place.

In thirty years you will still be able to wear them - and they will still be considered traditional.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.