Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 5299post #79471 of 1224164/23/14 at 9:02ampost #79472 of 1224164/23/14 at 9:04amQuote:
Dumb question, but are you sure they're Aldens? None of the shoes currently on the BF page are even made in the U.S.post #79473 of 1224164/23/14 at 9:05ampost #79474 of 1224164/23/14 at 9:06ampost #79475 of 1224164/23/14 at 9:08amQuote:Originally Posted by halfnhalfnhalf
Breaking the rules . . . captoe boots in Color 8 shell, paired with faded denim:
Yea or nay?
What the heck is faded denim... You must have had that pair of raw denim for ten years to get them looking that way
In all seriousness I think it looks great together, those are some awesome boots. The color seems lighter than most Alden no 8, closer to the intended Horween color.post #79476 of 1224164/23/14 at 9:09amQuote:
I don't know what the rules are, but I think that combo looks great. It's why I love color 8. It goes with almost everything. The shape of the boot and the way you laced them makes them casual enough for jeans, and the cap toe and color give it a dressy-casual feel. Really like the combo and may try the same this weekend with my color 8 dovers.post #79477 of 1224164/23/14 at 9:24ampost #79478 of 1224164/23/14 at 9:26ampost #79479 of 1224164/23/14 at 9:27amQuote:Originally Posted by Michigan Planner
Just like most of those who have replied, I wear my shell cordovan in the rain, snow, sleet, slush, ice, and salt and don't treat them with anything like Defender. I do make sure to brush them off thoroughly each evening though. I've had no ill effects from the elements.
Are they commando soles?post #79480 of 1224164/23/14 at 9:33ampost #79481 of 1224164/23/14 at 9:34am
Dang fine pair of LHS! I'm still waiting to snag a pair in whiskey, ravello or cigar. I need to jump on the Alden shell LHS train...
Looking good! Those chinos or denim? They almost look like the white Epaulet wilshires I just received...
That grass and that shine - wow!
I like the looks of the Mora 2.0 and of course the LWB! The Mora 2.0 may be my next pair from AE.post #79482 of 1224164/23/14 at 9:35amQuote:
A lot of mine have leather soles. Do you have ones with dainite, crepe, commando, or some other type of non-leather sole that you wear in the rain? I just got a pair of commando sole cordovan boots from J.Gilbert and I'm thinking of wearing them regularly, including in the rain since the commando sole might fare better than a leather one.post #79483 of 1224164/23/14 at 9:37amQuote:Originally Posted by thams
I don't wear mine in torrential rains, but I will in a light to medium rain. I prefer commando soles when it's wet for obvious reasons.
All my shells get water spots and some get welts. They always go away with a little time and brushing, so I never worry too much. I do try to take care of my shoes as best as possible, but I recognize that they're meant to be worn. Besides, how would a shoe ever get a good patina without exposing them to all kinds of conditions. It took me a while to come around, but I admire a pair of well-worn and cared for shoes with all the scuffs, bumps, fading, and spots.
Commando because the leather soled ones would get chewed up when wet and worn on cement?
I think I need to go more with your sentiment and start wearing my shoes more often, even in some slightly more adverse conditions.post #79484 of 1224164/23/14 at 9:39amQuote:Originally Posted by aldenfan
A lot of mine have leather soles. Do you have ones with dainite, crepe, commando, or some other type of non-leather sole that you wear in the rain? I just got a pair of commando sole cordovan boots from J.Gilbert and I'm thinking of wearing them regularly, including in the rain since the commando sole might fare better than a leather one.
I think my upcoming #8 NST boots with commando sole will be used regularly during Toronto fall and winter. My JCrew x Alden PCT boots on leather sole on the other hand might not be good option when snowing/raining although I've read that it should be OK. Curious to hear some opinions.post #79485 of 1224164/23/14 at 9:42am
Your slacks are always a great shade and pattern. They also always impressively match your shoes. Not to mention they are impeccably pressed as well. Do you mind if I ask who those slacks are by? What pattern is that called? POW?
Edited by aldenfan - 4/23/14 at 10:15am
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Sartorial Leather Jackets by Craftsman Clothing - Official... 47 seconds ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 1 minute ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 2 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 3 minutes ago
- › Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 5 minutes ago
- › Italy Trip. 6 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 10 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 12 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...