Yeah, the wink gave that away. :-)
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 10/25/15 at 6:54pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not? Last post on 4/4/14 at 1:25am in Classic Menswear
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 5116
Styleforum Top Picks
Very cool! Your dad wears Alden's as well? My dad apparently used to wear Florshiem Imperials, but I don't think he ever got into their Shell models. My dad never made it into Alden's.
My dad has flat feet, how are Alden's for the flat footed? (I guess I got the arch from my mom.)
Yeah, he does, and has for longer than I've been alive. His are primarily from BB, although he has some from Sherman Bros. He's not completely loyal, however, and wears shoes from other makers too.
I've got Adam's phone #. PM me if you would like to call him about the #2 LWB.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
That too was a joke if you were about to reach out. (I have his number but will NOT distribute!)
@mdubs Thanks for the explanation although there was no reason for you to do that. Congrats again on the one of twenty beauties.
My sentiments exactly. Although the #2 is too red for my tastes, it is still amazing to see something like that which most thought Alden would never do again.
There is something to be said about the neurotic Alden seeker. While there are many here who are fantastic consumers and bring a great deal of business to Alden of Carmel, DC, San Fran, Madison, TSM, Leffot, Epaulet, Unionmade, etc..., there are a bunch of pains in the rear out there (here). The purchases that had no real chance of finding a new home, but instead are sent back because of the slightest of so-called blemishes, poor fit, wrong "shade" of cigar or ravello, the slightest of creasing when pulled out of the box, etc... I have pretty high standards, but sometimes I wonder if there are those out there that have no intention of keeping internet/phone-ordered shoes, but simply want to take some pics and return.
I originally thought Adam (From AoC) was a total a-hole, but I now know why he has to be such a stickler.
Buckeye Nation, I am sure you are a great consumer and are a valued customer, but there are those that are a major pain in the rear. I believe that is what the original poster was referring to. Before y'all start replying that the above are reasonable excuses for returns, I will concede that they are, individually. But if there is a pattern (i.e. you have bought and returned more Aldens than you have kept in the last year), you are likely a pain in the arse to retailers. Alden QC is not that bad.
I'm probably a pain in the ass. I haven't returned more than I've kept but it's close. My main problem is if a shoe doesn't fit me perfectly it's going back. The one i really wanted to keep was the CXL chukkas. I loved the way they looked but they rubbed my pinky toes where I knew it would be painful if I wore them for a long day of walking. The other reason is that I've gotten to the point that if I don't love a shoe, it's going back. Most times it's hard to tell in pics if you're going to love a shoe. This was the case with the 975 for me recently. I got them but just didn't love them in person like everyone else does.
My updated LWB collection (all in Shell Cordovan)... I have a Black Shell LWB in production right now.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
From 12 O'Clock around (Clockwise): Alden Ravello LWB, Alden Cigar LWB, Rider Scotch Grain Shell LWB, Alden Color 8 LWB, Alden Color #2 LWB, Alden Whiskey LWB, Alden Ravello LWB.
.Wow gorgeous collection. Congratulations on the new acquisition.
Thank you. Did you manage to get the Alden for JCrew 975? The price that they could be purchased from JCrew was insane (I am worried that JCrew may become banned by Alden if they continue to do these sales. They frequently have cool spins on designs.)
The 975 is the classic, and arguably the best LWB, particularly from a usability perspective. I believe that the 974, 975, and 990 are considered to be Alden's foundational shoes, although they may not all be the most popular now.
I might have to come out of buying hibernation for those.
Gentlemen, the wait is over. O'Connell's finally hits 40% off tomorrow (sorry, not a Ralph Lauren 65% off sale). Someone please buy the Color 8 LHS in 10C and the Black Shell Chukka in 10D, so that I am not tempted. Only other shell remaining is the Tassel Loafer in Color 8... There is also quite a bit of calf and other materials remaining. The opera pump is pretty amazing. :-)
I never got an answer regarding the welterweights in here. Oconnells has a few of them and I was wondering how come I never hear or see anything about them in this thread. Aren't they basically just the PTB with a microcell sole? Or are there some other differences that I'm not aware of which makes them not as popular?
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
Styleforum Top Picks
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale? 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 5 minutes ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 7 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 8 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 9 minutes ago
- › JM Weston appreciation thread 9 minutes ago
- › NWOT pocket squares: Drake's, Cuccinelli, Bijan etc 11 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories