Gotcha, yeah. That pair was very disappointing. I was temporarily super excited when I saw a Ravello Chukka. But it apparently was too good to be true.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Today at 8:31 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Grant Stone
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 5058post #75857 of 1224163/11/14 at 8:04pmQuote:
Those are two very nice pairs of Alden Whiskey. Do you have any other pairs of Alden's? Most retailers toss in extra laces when you buy shoes. Otherwise call the buys at SF and they will square you away quickly.
-Mikepost #75858 of 1224163/11/14 at 8:04pmpost #75859 of 1224163/11/14 at 8:07pmpost #75860 of 1224163/11/14 at 8:33pmpost #75861 of 1224163/11/14 at 8:52pmpost #75862 of 1224163/11/14 at 8:54pmpost #75863 of 1224163/11/14 at 8:57pmpost #75864 of 1224163/11/14 at 8:57pmBeen lurking for a while and finally decided I might have something to add to the conversation!
A couple of weeks ago I ordered the 974 and 975 from a place in Chicago. They didn't carry wide sizes in store and put in special orders for me. I ordered both in 8.5E.
Honestly, I thought these bad boys would be coming this week, but after calling and confirming I found out the 974 is 4 weeks out and the 975 is 12 weeks out! Luckily the salesperson was awesome and said he could send out a 975 so I can compare the two in person.
Considering they are both in the same size and the same color, the only reason I could come up with the gap in production time is how much more popular the 975 is. Any differences in opinion are more than welcome.
Cheers!post #75865 of 1224163/11/14 at 9:19pm
Wow. LS used to sell the same model just a few years ago in the $600 range.post #75866 of 1224163/11/14 at 9:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by RobinM
Wow. LS used to sell the same model just a few years ago in the $600 range.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The $800 price* is a bit misleading because they were shipped from The Netherlands, included trees (I think this is standard for Frans Boone, but the price is likely slightly higher than it would be otherwise), and might have a different price from what an Alden retailer in the US would charge.
* Come to think of it, the price with shipping is 627.48 Euros = $869.88. Is this wrong mdubs?post #75867 of 1224163/11/14 at 9:35pmpost #75868 of 1224163/11/14 at 10:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by docalden2013
dslonghorn, those are some smokin whiskey ptbs. i needs me some of those.
and your whiskey lhs have made me very excited about tomorrow, sometime during which my whiskey loafers are supposed to arrive. I hope they have the same consistent color yours appear to have.Quote:
Thanks doc and dubs. I own a few pairs of Aldens. Laces should be on their way soon from Alden SF (thanks for the tip).post #75869 of 1224163/11/14 at 10:04pmQuote:
Agreed, $800 is a lot to spend on shoes, but it's an easier pill to swallow if you know you love them and will wear them a lot. For instance, I'd strongly prefer a #8 Plaza Indy to both some (1) stock models like tassels and full strap pennies that are ~$150 less than the boots in question and (2) models that are similar to the Plaza Indys in their price and rarity like, say, a whiskey monk. Of course, I appreciate these models, but I know they wouldn't get as much wear as these boots, so one could argue that they're more expensive in a way. This isn't a profound observation and it has likely been made before, but once you're in this game, I think it's important to know what styles you're willing to spend extra on.
Then again, considering how extensive mdubs' collection is, the above might not apply to him much.post #75870 of 1224163/11/14 at 10:26pm
Leffot tankers are gonna set ya back like $750 and that is before shipping and tax, if applicable. A color 8 Indy runs around $710 plus all that. $870 for the plaza last color 8 boot from Fransboone? The difference is not that much. You're buying that boot for the long haul. The premium really doesn't warrant a huge fuss if that is the boot you want.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 1 minute ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 7 minutes ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 11 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 14 minutes ago
- › Sartoria Pino Peluso Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 15 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 16 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 20 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 23 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread 28 minutes ago
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care Guide
- › AE fit & sizing help
- › 5 of the best Groomsmen’s gifts