Gotcha, yeah. That pair was very disappointing. I was temporarily super excited when I saw a Ravello Chukka. But it apparently was too good to be true.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 5058post #75857 of 1224163/11/14 at 8:04pmQuote:
Those are two very nice pairs of Alden Whiskey. Do you have any other pairs of Alden's? Most retailers toss in extra laces when you buy shoes. Otherwise call the buys at SF and they will square you away quickly.
-Mikepost #75858 of 1224163/11/14 at 8:04pmpost #75859 of 1224163/11/14 at 8:07pmpost #75860 of 1224163/11/14 at 8:33pmpost #75861 of 1224163/11/14 at 8:52pmpost #75862 of 1224163/11/14 at 8:54pmpost #75863 of 1224163/11/14 at 8:57pmpost #75864 of 1224163/11/14 at 8:57pmBeen lurking for a while and finally decided I might have something to add to the conversation!
A couple of weeks ago I ordered the 974 and 975 from a place in Chicago. They didn't carry wide sizes in store and put in special orders for me. I ordered both in 8.5E.
Honestly, I thought these bad boys would be coming this week, but after calling and confirming I found out the 974 is 4 weeks out and the 975 is 12 weeks out! Luckily the salesperson was awesome and said he could send out a 975 so I can compare the two in person.
Considering they are both in the same size and the same color, the only reason I could come up with the gap in production time is how much more popular the 975 is. Any differences in opinion are more than welcome.
Cheers!post #75865 of 1224163/11/14 at 9:19pm
Wow. LS used to sell the same model just a few years ago in the $600 range.post #75866 of 1224163/11/14 at 9:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by RobinM
Wow. LS used to sell the same model just a few years ago in the $600 range.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The $800 price* is a bit misleading because they were shipped from The Netherlands, included trees (I think this is standard for Frans Boone, but the price is likely slightly higher than it would be otherwise), and might have a different price from what an Alden retailer in the US would charge.
* Come to think of it, the price with shipping is 627.48 Euros = $869.88. Is this wrong mdubs?post #75867 of 1224163/11/14 at 9:35pmpost #75868 of 1224163/11/14 at 10:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by docalden2013
dslonghorn, those are some smokin whiskey ptbs. i needs me some of those.
and your whiskey lhs have made me very excited about tomorrow, sometime during which my whiskey loafers are supposed to arrive. I hope they have the same consistent color yours appear to have.Quote:
Thanks doc and dubs. I own a few pairs of Aldens. Laces should be on their way soon from Alden SF (thanks for the tip).post #75869 of 1224163/11/14 at 10:04pmQuote:
Agreed, $800 is a lot to spend on shoes, but it's an easier pill to swallow if you know you love them and will wear them a lot. For instance, I'd strongly prefer a #8 Plaza Indy to both some (1) stock models like tassels and full strap pennies that are ~$150 less than the boots in question and (2) models that are similar to the Plaza Indys in their price and rarity like, say, a whiskey monk. Of course, I appreciate these models, but I know they wouldn't get as much wear as these boots, so one could argue that they're more expensive in a way. This isn't a profound observation and it has likely been made before, but once you're in this game, I think it's important to know what styles you're willing to spend extra on.
Then again, considering how extensive mdubs' collection is, the above might not apply to him much.post #75870 of 1224163/11/14 at 10:26pm
Leffot tankers are gonna set ya back like $750 and that is before shipping and tax, if applicable. A color 8 Indy runs around $710 plus all that. $870 for the plaza last color 8 boot from Fransboone? The difference is not that much. You're buying that boot for the long haul. The premium really doesn't warrant a huge fuss if that is the boot you want.
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 2 minutes ago
- › WANTED! This sweater from Scotch & Soda SS14 4 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 7 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 7 minutes ago
- › Ermenegildo Zegna Tan Plaid Trofeo Cashmere Blend Sport Coat 42 8 minutes ago
- › Looking for this sweatshirt from Scotch & Soda 9 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 9 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 11 minutes ago
- › Merola Black Unlined Carpincho Hand-Stitched Gloves 12 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...