I get the sense that he is in the wedding, and thats what they told him to wear, however, I agree with what you are saying.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4954post #74296 of 1224162/21/14 at 6:24pmpost #74297 of 1224162/21/14 at 6:32pmpost #74298 of 1224162/21/14 at 6:46pmpost #74299 of 1224162/21/14 at 6:54pmQuote:
I notice a slight toe curl...these should be sent to me at a significant discount. j/k...nice shoes and photos.
And yes, I'm doing this just for Bakes...his love/hate of the forum cracks me up.post #74300 of 1224162/21/14 at 7:01pmpost #74301 of 1224162/21/14 at 7:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by Bakes11771
This doesn't really answer your question but consider 9071. Also, Carmina seems to make some nice black straight tip cap toe bals.
If you are just looking for something cheaper that you will only wear for this one occasions and perhaps a few weddings in the future, why not just get some Johnston and Murphys? Probably nobody will notice the difference, and since you are only going to wear them a few times, they should hold up pretty well.
Thanks Bakes! I'm considering the 9071's as well. This is also part of my dilemma, straight cap or Perf cap? I can see myself wearing a Perf cap more, but see the need for a straight as well. #over-thinking
I've been interested in Carmina's, but not ready to get into sizing more lasts. At some point I'll get fitted at EP, their makeups are really nice!Quote:
Thanks Beebs! I agree, that the 9015 would be fine, it's the reasonable thing to do as I'd wear them frequently in rotation, but I feel that this is an opportunity to step up, and into some black oxfords. The last wedding I went to I wore #8 nst boots and no one was harmed, but I wanna go more polished this time
Thanks ATL! The voice of reason tells me this is the way to go, I've almost pulled the trigger several times, but what always makes me hesitate is … heaven forbid that I happen to die soon after, and that I'd prefer to attend my own funeral in Alden Captoe; & preferably shellQuote:Originally Posted by Alpina
My apologies for taking take this a bit off thread, but this man needs to get dressed.
I highly recommend the KW bal for semiformal and informal wear. I got them for my wedding and wear for indoor/evening occasions that call for a suit or tuxedo. The GCT shoeshine boys did a nice bull job on them and they look very smart. Otherwise, my kit is casual, so I wanted something that didn't need to be versatile. I discovered them on the always-excellent Put This On blog, where they are mentioned in a post about semiformal footwear and in another post about the bals themselves (including this side-by-side photo with an Alden calf bal--no comparison on sleekness).
IME, they run large. I'd recommend leaving time to return for a different size in the event they aren't right.
While I'm at it, I'll mention that KW also sells a proper (and surprisingly elusive) three-stud tux shirt.
As you were...
Thanks Alpina! I remember reading that PTO article thanks for reminding me of that! I'm definitely considering them. I'm glad to hear that you like them!Quote:
Thanks again ATL! One of my first "nice" shoes was a walnut Mcallister. I considered the PA and FA, but I don't find them as comfy as Alden's. I tried to get in the last seconds sale, but was late to the game. All for the better, as I think I'm leaning toward Alden.Quote:
Thanks mdubs! I'll have to take a look at those!post #74302 of 1224162/21/14 at 7:29pmpost #74303 of 1224162/21/14 at 7:36pmQuote:
Hey Bakes! No I'm just a guest. Is it the tie that you and Beebs are questioning? It just a silver wedding tie with small black checks. Looks grey from a distance. I think it's appropriate. Was thinking about perhaps getting a new tie as well, but I'm in shoe modepost #74304 of 1224162/21/14 at 7:37pmQuote:Lots of good advice has been offered.Originally Posted by macjedi
Need some opinions …
I was planning on getting the king captoe 9015, but I'm attending a wedding in a couple months so maybe this is a good excuse to finally get a pair of black bals. I really want the 9015, but I think it would be less than ideal for this event, particularly with a navy suit, white shirt and silver-black tie. I'm contemplating the 901 or 907, and this one …
… from Kent Wang is interesting as well considering the price, but I would probably only wear them for dressier events and I'm sure they're not as comfortable as the Alden's. But for the price they would fill a hole for a formal shoe.
I haven't been much of a black shoe guy, so I'd appreciate any thoughts on Alden's black shell vs black calf, and the KW if anyone has had experience with them.
I think a navy suit would look much better paired with #8 9015 than with similar black shoes.
If you must wear black to the wedding, you need to consider how often would you wear black bals.
I don't have use for black bals, I would get an inexpensive calf pair at the rack. If you see they could be incorporated into your weekly attire, don't go halfway, get the pair you like the best.post #74305 of 1224162/21/14 at 8:06pmQuote:Thanks sazon. If I had any common sense, I would consider parting with the shoes since I now have the boots. But, Ravello + Aberdeen + nst = irresistible to me.Quote:I hate so many of us wear the same size. But the "Barrie size 10" members are all incredibly nice guys.post #74306 of 1224162/21/14 at 8:25pmQuote:
I concur. I do not get too bent out of shape when a grail barrie 10D slips out of my hands. If I can't have it, I don't mind DV and others here picking them up.
Cheers Barrie-10D'ers...post #74307 of 1224162/21/14 at 8:39pmpost #74308 of 1224162/21/14 at 9:27pmQuote:
I'm just not big on gray (or silver/black) ties w/ navy suits. I'd personally wear any color with navy (red, orange, green, yellow, blue, purple, pink) with a fairly neutral shirt (white, blue, pale pink) and then either color 8 or brown shoes. That's just my own taste, and others may disagree. I almost never wear black shoes w/ navy suits, and save black shoes for black or gray suits.post #74309 of 1224162/21/14 at 9:33pmpost #74310 of 1224162/21/14 at 9:43pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 2 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 3 minutes ago
- › Hackett blue jacket medium size 6 minutes ago
- › J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 12 minutes ago
- › RLPL white shirt 23 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 23 minutes ago
- › RL polo shirt S 28 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 29 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 30 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...