or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4930  

post #73936 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauhaus View Post
 

Newbie question here. I wandered into the Alden Store on my last trip to San Francisco and immediately appreciated the quality of the shoes. I ended up getting both a pair of 975's and 990's. Anyways, I wanted to try something different and purchased a pair of straight tip boots in black cordovan. Since they are also on the Barrie last, I was expecting them to have the same "clunkiness" (which I really like) as my other two pairs. When I received them, I was surprised that the soles were a bit more trim and cut closer to the shoe. There is only one set of stitches in the welt - those that attach the welt to the sole. On my 975's and 990's, there are two distinct sets of stitches - the same one that my straight tip boots have, plus another that attaches the welt to the main part of the shoe (vamp?).

 

So, here is my question - is there a name to these two different welt styles? Is there a functional benefit to one over the other? Any other comments would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.


I think you may be describing the difference between a 360' storm welt versus a flat welt.

This first pair is of a storm welt...

The next two are off a flat welt

 

Does this look like what are referring to??

post #73937 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post
 

New score came in today... 

Ravello PTB.

I am thrilled with the shade. It appears to be a medium color, not too dark, not too light. 

 

 

Those are lovely. Wear in great health!

post #73938 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post
 

Hi Guys. I'm new to the Alden shoe line but has some experience with AE purchases. After purchasing my first pair of shells with AE, I'm considering Alden as another option for shell offerings. 

 

I'm currently looking into either the LWB or Chukka in color 8. Since these are highly popular models, are deals for these shoes non-existent? If there are deals, where and when do they occur? I do wear a typically common size though... 9D.

 

And those rare colors: cigar/ravello is currently not available?  


Deals or sales on Alden shell cordovan are almost non-existent.  I would find what you like and order it through the Shoe Mart if they have it in stock.  Other retailers may have a similar price, but I doubt you'll find a better one when you consider no shipping or sales tax (unless you live in Connecticut).  Also, I'd go with the LWB (975).

 

Good luck to you sir! 

post #73939 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 


I think you may be describing the difference between a 360' storm welt versus a flat welt.

This first pair is of a storm welt...

The next two are off a flat welt

 

Does this look like what are referring to??

Yes, thank you very much.

post #73940 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post
 

 

Doc, congrats on your new Plaza "Indy's". I am glad to help rekindle your interest in that boot. It is an amazingly beautiful boot!

 

I love your wife's quote... :-)

 

-Mike

 

Thanks, dubs! I breathed a sigh of relief when they arrived today.

 

Yes, she's a keeper. But she's even more quotable when she's rolling her eyes at my purchases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post
 

 

Awesome boots. These should be readily available state side.

 

Thanks, MrDV. I completely agree. I might tell Kathy at Alden of DC to start a makeup, maybe it would look good with an antique edge.

 

All I need now are a ravello version of the norwegian not split but moc toe boots like yours!

post #73941 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 


Deals or sales on Alden shell cordovan are almost non-existent.  I would find what you like and order it through the Shoe Mart if they have it in stock.  Other retailers may have a similar price, but I doubt you'll find a better one when you consider no shipping or sales tax (unless you live in Connecticut).  Also, I'd go with the LWB (975).

 

Good luck to you sir! 

True. There are too many variables to grab a great deal with Alden. Taxes and shipping will inevitably make a great deal into an okay deal. I'm probably better off buying something from shoemart straight up. 

 

Now the question is, do they offer any of the rarer colors? 

post #73942 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post
 

True. There are too many variables to grab a great deal with Alden. Taxes and shipping will inevitably make a great deal into an okay deal. I'm probably better off buying something from shoemart straight up. 

 

Now the question is, do they offer any of the rarer colors? 

No, not at this time.  The only way you'll find exotic colors in shell with the LWB or the chukka is if you very carefully follow this thread and catch a PSA at the right time, and call Alden SF or DC immediately and have payment ready to go.  I picked up the ravello PTB, whiskey SW bal, and the ravello NST through that exact process.

post #73943 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 

No, not at this time.  The only way you'll find exotic colors in shell with the LWB or the chukka is if you very carefully follow this thread and catch a PSA at the right time, and call Alden SF or DC immediately and have payment ready to go.  I picked up the ravello PTB, whiskey SW bal, and the ravello NST through that exact process.

Dang...gotcha...I better have my sizing down then..

post #73944 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post
 

Dang...gotcha...I better have my sizing down then..

 

 you can also find some good deals on both new and preowned from time to time on ebay and the SF marketplace.....this definitely helps if you live where you are not able to readily try on the different models....worst case you can typically resell at a small loss if they do not work out.....there is definitely some trial and error to the process.

post #73945 of 122416

too many to thank individually, but thank you all for the well wishes over the last couple days.. I try to drop in from time to time, but between clients and family it's been tough.

 

glad to see some new shoes being posted up. hopefully the plaza monks I grabbed on discount from LS arrive safe and sound, I'll post up a pic.

 

those ravello chukkas posted earlier are definitely dark, as everyone has said. would almost 'force' me to buy a pair in whiskey to *hope* they arrive with a more ravello'ish tone

 

bring back olive cigar, reddish ravello, and eggplant 8 and I'd be content :)

 

take care everyone 

post #73946 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by docalden2013 View Post

Thanks, dubs! I breathed a sigh of relief when they arrived today.

Yes, she's a keeper. But she's even more quotable when she's rolling her eyes at my purchases.
Thanks, MrDV. I completely agree. I might tell Kathy at Alden of DC to start a makeup, maybe it would look good with an antique edge.

All I need now are a ravello version of the norwegian not split but moc toe boots like yours!

Doc,

I am already working the Kathy/DC angle. Hoping that we can get something to pan out from that. :-)

-Mike
post #73947 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouldaville View Post

10.5D black shell PTB $405. Not bad considering $667 retail most places now.

http://www.bensilver.com/Alden-Black-Cordovan-Blucher,19943.html#.UwP3sPldW4Q

THANK YOU. Been looking for these forever and was reluctant for retail. Awesome.
post #73948 of 122416

Any pre-order on the cigar grant boots anywhere lately? Thanks

post #73949 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by prez View Post


Great shoes. What last are they on?

Thanks.  M-75 last, which is specific to Brooks Brothers and very similar to Plaza.  I wear TTS in this last.  It really is a great shoe!

post #73950 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakedsnake View Post
 

 

Check these out here, Canadian store that offers Viberg. I don't know much about viberg, so there may be other stores, but all I know of is this one. Prices are steep. Not sure what the average is, however.

 

 

Thanks!  Guess about the same... I feel like they're 200 or so overpriced for what they are - but what do they care, they can't keep them on the shelves!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.