You're the man, Be. And for the record, I'm very happy with my wife. I would have kicked me out by now with all these shoes and boots...
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 10/25/15 at 6:54pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not? Last post on 4/4/14 at 1:25am in Classic Menswear
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4928
Styleforum Top Picks
To paraphrase Magritte: "Ceci n'est pas un Indy Boot"
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Frans Boone delivered well. Purchased Friday, delivered at 10am today. No customs charges. No signs of try on. Free shoe trees (although for the FB markup compared to stateside purchases, they are arguably the most valuable shoe trees I've ever purchased). They even reached out to me with a special e-mail, recalling that I had inquired about buying the boots with 2 credit cards back in the vanilla visa gift card days. Special thanks to BeSpiffington, who pointed out back in April of last year that these boots were sitting in the Frans Boone inventory for a long while. Special thanks to mdubs for buying the last pair before the restock and rekindling my interest in the shoes...
The happiest moment of the day so far, however, has been when my wife kissed me on the way out the door this morning, looked down at my green stows Trickers and said tenderly, "I love those. Wear them in great health!"
Gorgeous! No customs you say? Hmm...I may be convinced now.
No customs. They said right up front that they tell customs explicitly that the product in the box was of American origin.
They do declare full value. Not sure if they would under declare, however. For this first overseas purchase of mine, I didn't even think to ask.
Frans and Heidi were a pleasure to deal with. I'm still amazed at the remarkably fast shipping time. I just ordered a scarf from some nice little shop in Ontario and was told that the shipping time would be 7 to 9 business days. Scarf should be here just in time for weather to thaw out!
Pretty sure that'd be my size too but not sure that Plaza would wrk with my foot.
Same here. Not to mention all my other flaws and idiosyncrasies. I have no idea how she puts up with it.
Newbie question here. I wandered into the Alden Store on my last trip to San Francisco and immediately appreciated the quality of the shoes. I ended up getting both a pair of 975's and 990's. Anyways, I wanted to try something different and purchased a pair of straight tip boots in black cordovan. Since they are also on the Barrie last, I was expecting them to have the same "clunkiness" (which I really like) as my other two pairs. When I received them, I was surprised that the soles were a bit more trim and cut closer to the shoe. There is only one set of stitches in the welt - those that attach the welt to the sole. On my 975's and 990's, there are two distinct sets of stitches - the same one that my straight tip boots have, plus another that attaches the welt to the main part of the shoe (vamp?).
So, here is my question - is there a name to these two different welt styles? Is there a functional benefit to one over the other? Any other comments would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.
thank you gents, and as I've mentioned a couple times recently in this thread.. I have some immediate family health issues that I might be able to prepay off ravello alone for awhile, and am now weighing the options.
I'll be MIA from the thread for the bit while I work through some stuff, but will gather PMs and respond accordingly if I deem necessary.
take care you guys. everyone be safe please :) shoes mean little in the gran scheme of things, trust me.
Word. Take care and hope things turn out well.
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 18 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 23 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 39 seconds ago
- › Epaulet Factory Finds Sportscoat - 37R NWOT 1 minute ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 1 minute ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 2 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes,... 5 minutes ago
- › The Uniqlo Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories