You're the man, Be. And for the record, I'm very happy with my wife. I would have kicked me out by now with all these shoes and boots...
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4928post #73906 of 1224162/18/14 at 11:55ampost #73907 of 1224162/18/14 at 12:21pmpost #73908 of 1224162/18/14 at 12:44pmQuote:Originally Posted by docalden2013
To paraphrase Magritte: "Ceci n'est pas un Indy Boot"
Frans Boone delivered well. Purchased Friday, delivered at 10am today. No customs charges. No signs of try on. Free shoe trees (although for the FB markup compared to stateside purchases, they are arguably the most valuable shoe trees I've ever purchased). They even reached out to me with a special e-mail, recalling that I had inquired about buying the boots with 2 credit cards back in the vanilla visa gift card days. Special thanks to BeSpiffington, who pointed out back in April of last year that these boots were sitting in the Frans Boone inventory for a long while. Special thanks to mdubs for buying the last pair before the restock and rekindling my interest in the shoes...
The happiest moment of the day so far, however, has been when my wife kissed me on the way out the door this morning, looked down at my green stows Trickers and said tenderly, "I love those. Wear them in great health!"
Gorgeous! No customs you say? Hmm...I may be convinced now.post #73909 of 1224162/18/14 at 1:19pm
No customs. They said right up front that they tell customs explicitly that the product in the box was of American origin.
They do declare full value. Not sure if they would under declare, however. For this first overseas purchase of mine, I didn't even think to ask.
Frans and Heidi were a pleasure to deal with. I'm still amazed at the remarkably fast shipping time. I just ordered a scarf from some nice little shop in Ontario and was told that the shipping time would be 7 to 9 business days. Scarf should be here just in time for weather to thaw out!post #73910 of 1224162/18/14 at 1:44pmpost #73911 of 1224162/18/14 at 1:46pmpost #73912 of 1224162/18/14 at 1:47pmQuote:
Pretty sure that'd be my size too but not sure that Plaza would wrk with my foot.Quote:
Same here. Not to mention all my other flaws and idiosyncrasies. I have no idea how she puts up with it.post #73913 of 1224162/18/14 at 2:06pmpost #73914 of 1224162/18/14 at 2:07pm
Newbie question here. I wandered into the Alden Store on my last trip to San Francisco and immediately appreciated the quality of the shoes. I ended up getting both a pair of 975's and 990's. Anyways, I wanted to try something different and purchased a pair of straight tip boots in black cordovan. Since they are also on the Barrie last, I was expecting them to have the same "clunkiness" (which I really like) as my other two pairs. When I received them, I was surprised that the soles were a bit more trim and cut closer to the shoe. There is only one set of stitches in the welt - those that attach the welt to the sole. On my 975's and 990's, there are two distinct sets of stitches - the same one that my straight tip boots have, plus another that attaches the welt to the main part of the shoe (vamp?).
So, here is my question - is there a name to these two different welt styles? Is there a functional benefit to one over the other? Any other comments would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.post #73915 of 1224162/18/14 at 2:08pmpost #73916 of 1224162/18/14 at 2:24pmpost #73917 of 1224162/18/14 at 3:16pmpost #73918 of 1224162/18/14 at 3:23pmpost #73919 of 1224162/18/14 at 3:26pmQuote:Originally Posted by kwhitelaw
thank you gents, and as I've mentioned a couple times recently in this thread.. I have some immediate family health issues that I might be able to prepay off ravello alone for awhile, and am now weighing the options.
I'll be MIA from the thread for the bit while I work through some stuff, but will gather PMs and respond accordingly if I deem necessary.
take care you guys. everyone be safe please :) shoes mean little in the gran scheme of things, trust me.
Word. Take care and hope things turn out well.post #73920 of 1224162/18/14 at 3:36pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 6 minutes ago
- › LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD 8 minutes ago
- › ethan's Musing on the Near East 14 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 16 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 18 minutes ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 23 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 28 minutes ago
- › patrickBOOTH's Third-of-Life Crisis and (Mostly) Self-Imposed... 29 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 33 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...