or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4918  

post #73756 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner View Post



I agree with Subutai on crepe being more comfortable (and less loved here). I think in the end for me it would come down to exactly what type of shoe or bot it is though - as much as I love the crepe, some shoes, like the PTB, just look better on something like the double waterlock, IMO.

I was thinking about a Barrie lasted chukka if that helps. I think w/ a chukka you could go either way, which was why I posed it in the first place. 

 

Thank you for the input though, the wisdom of this forum is awesome. 

post #73757 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by odessaboots View Post

I have a sole question for you gentlemen.

I have my eye on an upper available in both crepe and double waterlock sole. Which would be a better choice for relatively constant wear as a casual shoe, in a possibly damp wet springtime? I'm concerned with longevity more than aesthetics, but I'm curious what everyone's experience is with these two types.

Also, if I do wish to resolve them, I would go through Alden, can they put a different sole on a shoe than the original, or would I have to go through a third party?

Thanks for any input. I have searched this thread already and read about each sole individually, but not a direct comparison. Seems a fitting question as spring (slowly) approaches.

waterlock for sure nod[1].gif
post #73758 of 122416

The wait is killing me. My Ravello chukkas are 'out for delivery'. The UPS guy usually gets here late afternoon. I could text him and ask him if he can stop by early but I don't want to bug him since he know he's backlogged due to the snowstorm last week. Yes, I get enough packages where I have a relationship with my UPS guy.

 

What does everyone have on preorder at the moment? I have these LWBs which I'm expecting April/May and these chukkas around June.

 

post #73759 of 122416
^Ah, the waiting game. I'm waiting for the #8 Pitt boot with antique edge trim from Leather Sole. Think it's "only" been about a year so far. I know others are still waiting on shoes/boots from multiple years ago...
post #73760 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chien View Post

hey guys...
i have a pair of alden cordovan boots, that somehow over the years , i felt they become slightly tighter - might be my feet just gotten fat, since i'm already past the growing stage. haha

I would really like to be able to continue wearing this pair of boots, instead of finding another #8 boots that is half size bigger than my current.

So is there any way I can go about to slightly change the size of the boot bigger?
Any one have any success stories to share? whether via the alden restoration method.. or some other methods..

its a pair of size 8 barrie last btw.

Hey Chien:

 

Sorry to hear of your issue.  Hopefully your feet havent gotten bigger like mine did a few years ago.   I went from 8.5 to 9 at around the age of 45 and had to replace all my shoes. I have read a few others on SF having the same growth spurt...probably arch falling, etc.  Anyway, i think you may have some success with stretching in width your calf shoes but I don't have enough experience with shell yet to give any advice.  Are all your shoes now tight?  I dont think shoes can be stretched length wise.  Adding weight will also make your feet larger so that's another possible cause.

 

Good luck

 

DuckOB

post #73761 of 122416
I also have my name on the list for the cigar cap toe boots from Alden DC though I'm too far down the list to receive a pair on this upcoming shipment. And I also have my name in for whiskey ptbs through Alden DC, but Kathy doesn't even have enough names (let alone available shell) to request production.
post #73762 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckOB View Post
 

Hey Chien:

 

Sorry to hear of your issue.  Hopefully your feet havent gotten bigger like mine did a few years ago.   I went from 8.5 to 9 at around the age of 45 and had to replace all my shoes. I have read a few others on SF having the same growth spurt...probably arch falling, etc.  Anyway, i think you may have some success with stretching in width your calf shoes but I don't have enough experience with shell yet to give any advice.  Are all your shoes now tight?  I dont think shoes can be stretched length wise.  Adding weight will also make your feet larger so that's another possible cause.

 

Good luck

 

DuckOB

 

I didn't realize your feet can grow at that age. Once I passed my mid-twenties I assumed my feet were done growing. Maybe it has something to do with your arch as you suggested. That has to suck if you have to replace all the shoes you collected over the years.

post #73763 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironclad View Post

I also have my name on the list for the cigar cap toe boots from Alden DC though I'm too far down the list to receive a pair on this upcoming shipment. And I also have my name in for whiskey ptbs through Alden DC, but Kathy doesn't even have enough names (let alone available shell) to request production.

 

May I know Alden DC provide shipping service or they request you to pick it up in person?? Thanks

post #73764 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefok View Post

May I know Alden DC provide shipping service or they request you to pick it up in person?? Thanks

If you are in the U.S. they will ship. Alden will not allow U.S. retailers to ship their product internationally though.
post #73765 of 122416

Alden DC does shipping if you're not local.

post #73766 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner View Post
Alden will not allow U.S. retailers to ship their product internationally though.

 

What is the reason for that? I've been wondering that for a while since I've seen it on every site. Is it because our pricing is different than other countries so they'd rather have them buy from their own retailers there rather than save money by buying from the US?

post #73767 of 122416

#8 Medallion Cap's today

 

post #73768 of 122416

Hi everyone. I have a quick last sizing question. I've searched the forum rather thoroughly but have not seen this specifically addressed. I have the opportunity to purchase a color 8 toe cap shell boot that is available in the plaza last @ 9.5E and 9E.  I own one Alden shell boot: a barrie chukka in a 9D. I am approx. a 9.5 D size.  The barrie chukka fits generously in that size. It's not too long or too wide, but there is some room to wear a moderately thicker sock. 

 

The other issue is that these boots are not returnable.

 

So, the question is: the difference between a D width barrie and an E width plaza.  I could a) go with my same length in barrie in the plaza (9) but take an E width, b) take the supposedly correct length for me in plaza - 9.5 - but with an E instead of a D. With option "a" the width would be probably fine, but the length is questionable. With option "b" I worry that there will be a bit too much room in the width, and I wouldn't want to chance that with shell.

 

Or, I just convince myself that as much as they are lovely shell boots, it's not worth the risk and drop the whole thing.  

 

Anyone have any experiences going from different widths from barrie to plaza?? 

 

Thanks!

post #73769 of 122416

Vicious

 

It did suck, I had some very comfortable J&M Signature's that I wore.  My tastes have now gotten more expensive. I started with A&E and couldnt really dial in the right size/last and now have a growing collection of Aldens and trying to justify Vibergs and Trickers:rotflmao:

 

If they grow again.....yikes

post #73770 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson View Post
 

Hi everyone. I have a quick last sizing question. I've searched the forum rather thoroughly but have not seen this specifically addressed. I have the opportunity to purchase a color 8 toe cap shell boot that is available in the plaza last @ 9.5E and 9E.  I own one Alden shell boot: a barrie chukka in a 9D. I am approx. a 9.5 D size.  The barrie chukka fits generously in that size. It's not too long or too wide, but there is some room to wear a moderately thicker sock. 

 

The other issue is that these boots are not returnable.

 

So, the question is: the difference between a D width barrie and an E width plaza.  I could a) go with my same length in barrie in the plaza (9) but take an E width, b) take the supposedly correct length for me in plaza - 9.5 - but with an E instead of a D. With option "a" the width would be probably fine, but the length is questionable. With option "b" I worry that there will be a bit too much room in the width, and I wouldn't want to chance that with shell.

 

Or, I just convince myself that as much as they are lovely shell boots, it's not worth the risk and drop the whole thing.  

 

Anyone have any experiences going from different widths from barrie to plaza?? 

 

Thanks!

Personally, I wouldn't pursue either alternative.  I wear 1/2 size larger in Plaza than Barrie, and same width.  I could not imagine the fit being optimal unless you're pushing out of your Barrie Ds width-wise.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.