Just got back from Alden DC earlier today. They are definitely doing a special makeup of cigar captoe boots.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on Yesterday at 11:29 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/19/16 at 12:59pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: Yesterday
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4852
Styleforum Top Pickspost #72767 of 1224162/5/14 at 2:44pmQuote:Originally Posted by thams
Well, if they're doing another run of Cigar PTBs then maybe I'll just wait for that. Not on that list though, so no telling where I would fall in grand order. A pair of Cigar LWBs would be killer, but beggers can't be choosers. I'm really pumped about the cigar CT boot though.
Neither am I. As someone mentioned in this thread earlier, making the call to Alden DC can be a dangerous one. I am on a couple of lists, and will probably wait a couple of months until I call back to be put on the Cigar PTB list.
I think Joe told me that it will probably be made next year as the recent batch of Cigar Shells is being used to produce the Captoe Boot.
Cigar LWB? Try the Madison store, might get lucky as they are being put into production soon if I'm not mistaken.post #72768 of 1224162/5/14 at 2:52pmQuote:
I'm ok with cigar leather going to the boots. These age sooooo well.
I'm afraid to call Madison. If they had a slot for the cigar LWBs open, then I would have to spend the cigar CT boot money to get them. It would be a difficult choice to make...post #72769 of 1224162/5/14 at 3:00pmpost #72770 of 1224162/5/14 at 3:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by justuhgeek
Another 8D PSA: I passed on a pair of Cigar PTB's a few days ago and had them shipped back to Alden DC. Should have arrived back by now.
Color is beautiful, and I love the antique edging on this model. Passed because of some blemishes I noticed on the shoe. Looks like finish pulled off, but you can't really tell unless in bright lighting or sunlight.
Might be able to work out something. Also you can probably ask to have them sent back to Alden to refinish, but I would avoid this as I have learned from experience while this minor problem may be fixed, another may be created.
Pics here:MHO, it's worth it to ask Kathy about the splotch and the possible discount. I just recently attempted a restoration of a cigar ptb I bought from her this past May that evidently had the same issue. (I moved over the summer and kind of forgot about the ptbs, so didn't notice the splotch on the left vamp until well after I had worn the shoes a few times without seeing them in natural sunlight, which would have made the splotch more apparent). I basically took some brown $2.99 kiwi paste wax from the grocery store and applied about 3 or 4 coats and then spent about an hour brushing after the wife and kiddo went to sleep the other day. Although there is still some lightness on the vamp relative to the rest of the shoe, the several folks I've asked have told me they don't see any noticeable defect. That said, this group includes my wife, who thinks my cigar ptb and my color 8 covers look exactly the same ;) Note, I didn't even go as far as doing the whole renomat stripping thing followed by a waxing of the whole shoe. I don't have the Patrickb shoeshine skills, for sure. I like to think my $3 BNelson impersonation came out passable.Here are a couple pics following the restoration attempt.post #72771 of 1224162/5/14 at 3:00pmpost #72772 of 1224162/5/14 at 3:05pmpost #72773 of 1224162/5/14 at 3:10pmpost #72774 of 1224162/5/14 at 3:15pmpost #72775 of 1224162/5/14 at 3:19pmpost #72776 of 1224162/5/14 at 3:24pmpost #72777 of 1224162/5/14 at 3:28pmpost #72778 of 1224162/5/14 at 3:36pmpost #72779 of 1224162/5/14 at 3:43pmCan anyone tell me what you think an Aberdeen 11.5D would translate to in Barrie? I wear a Barrie 10D. I have a chance to pick up an Aberdeen 11.5d blucher for a good price. I have tried on an Aberdeen in 10.5 D and they were snug. Any thoughts?
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
Styleforum Top Picks
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
Currently, there are 1527 Active Users (349 Members and 1178 Guests)
- › French Tailoring Thread (e.g. Camps de Luca, Cifonelli, Smalto and... 2 seconds ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 2 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 4 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 6 minutes ago
- › Edward Green (UK6 1/2E) Westminster 7 minutes ago
- › Thom Browne Red White and Blue Long Tie Bar Sterling Silver 7 minutes ago
- › Vintage Ray Ban Expert 9 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 9 minutes ago
- › Silk Scarfs for men? ... Help 10 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 10 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...