or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4818  

post #72256 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Thanks. Actually one of my favorite pair of shoes that I own
That is understandable.
post #72257 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoit1981 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

Not ridiculous.

I assume you are referring to an existing model, as Alden no longer makes any Barrie lasted models narrower than a B width (Alden's AA/B).

If, however, you are referring to a 13 AA/B (a B width), then yes, I think it will work.

Actually it's a bit stranger than that I think. AAAA/AA width... I assume this is super narrow?

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

That is an AA width, a full 4 widths narrower than your D width. Although you mentioned going up 1/2 size to accommodate this, in the end 4 widths will be too much to overcome, IMO.
post #72258 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtc2000 View Post

BTW, Alden does not always use the overcoat glazing.

Some light color shell from a few years ago did not have the overcoat.

Leffot had a Cigar/suede saddle a couple of years ago The Cigar shell parts did not have the overcoat glazing.


I was fortunate enough to get in on this offering when Leffot last offered it. The look of the cigar and its texture are decidedly different than a "normal" (glazed) cigar model. For this model I actually like that it is not glazed, but on the whole I easily prefer glazed.
post #72259 of 122416

breaking in the scotch grain chukkas from the recent unionmade sale....think these will be quite nice for poor weather conditions

 

 

post #72260 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtc2000 View Post


Alden apply a layer of overcoat glazing on most of their shell Cordovan shoes, to give that unique out-of-the-box shine.
Normally Alden Cordovan is easy to maintain. Wiping down with a damp cloth and minimal brushing is all it takes. However, deep scuff is a different story. If the overcoat is damaged, that's it.

Not exactly the same, but sort of like patent leather. The good thing is that Alden can always refinish the shoes with a new overcoat.

Bare Cordovan does not have as glossy a finish. However, deep scuffs and even scrapes will even out with moderate brushing. That is very similar to flesh-out leather.

AF80 that you are interested in and freshly "de-glazed" #8 Tanker. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




The same de-glazed Tanker, with one application of Renovateur and 1 minute of brushing. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Wow that is really helpful. Why and how did you deglaze the tanker?

I would greatly prefer the finish of the tanker.

post #72261 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill View Post
 

Does anyone own this shoe? If so, could you post some in-the-wild pictures?

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/AldenForJCrew/PRDOVR~18580/18580.jsp

 

It says the color is dark brown, but they look burgundy in the pictures.

I believe I've had these for almost four years. I typically use them when there is some rain in the forecast (I'm such a wuss with my shells when rain is coming). When the time comes, I will resole them with dainite soles.  These pics are not great but the shoe is.  Found them BNIB on ebay for $275.  They were my second Alden purchase.

 

 

They are next to my Alden for J Crew Tobacco waxed LWB...  Cigar and ravello are below for a color comparison.

 

 

I highly recommend them if you are looking for a comfortable pair of non-shell shoes, esp. if you can find them on sale for around $300

post #72262 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwanon View Post
 

I've been looking for a workhorse, all-weather, all-purpose shoe. I was considering these AF80 #8 shortwings from AOC. They would be my first pair of Aldens and my first pair of cordovans. One of the reasons I was thinking of going with cordovan is that I've heard it's really durable; you can just brush out scuffs without having to resort to cream to fill gouges and polish to restore shine. Then I start seeing the above about Alden's special glaze. What does Alden do differently than other companies in their tier making shell shoes (e.g. Carmina)? I'm less concerned with getting a high gloss. I mainly want something durable that can be restored with simple brushing. I've considered CXL for this particular need, but would generally prefer shell for various reasons.

 

I have this shoe and it was awesome.  However, it does have a very high gloss (deep shine/glaze) making it look very dressy.  If you're looking for a workhorse shoe I would go with a Chrmxl version of the LWB.  Unionmade has two awesome make-ups, one in natural and the other in brown chrmxl.

 

Unionmade...


Good luck!

post #72263 of 122416
Are 11.5d and 11e interchangeable as fas as width goes. I know the toe box should be an 1/8th shorter.
post #72264 of 122416
Any owners of the classic tan burnished calfskin wingtip blucher? Looking for pics of wear and comments on versatility/wearability. I've considered the shoe for years. Debating between this and the burnished tan wingtip boot.

http://aldenshop.com/Store/DrawProducts.aspx?CategoryID=35&ParentID=3&PageID=&Action=
post #72265 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtc2000 View Post


Alden apply a layer of overcoat glazing on most of their shell Cordovan shoes, to give that unique out-of-the-box shine.
Normally Alden Cordovan is easy to maintain. Wiping down with a damp cloth and minimal brushing is all it takes. However, deep scuff is a different story. If the overcoat is damaged, that's it.

Not exactly the same, but sort of like patent leather. The good thing is that Alden can always refinish the shoes with a new overcoat.

Bare Cordovan does not have as glossy a finish. However, deep scuffs and even scrapes will even out with moderate brushing. That is very similar to flesh-out leather.

AF80 that you are interested in and freshly "de-glazed" #8 Tanker. hidden pics (Click to show)




The same de-glazed Tanker, with one application of Renovateur and 1 minute of brushing.

I'm glad you posted this again.  With this topic about Alden's glazing, I keep thinking cordovan is akin to brass, which often comes with a lacquer finish.  Sure--the lacquer makes it look bright and shiny with no maintenance in its feeble attempt to look like freshly polished bare brass, but the real thing is so much richer (the unvarnished truth).  Look around at the hardware on apartment buildings in NYC--doormen are constantly busting out the brasso to keep that amazing look.  I want my shells to look like their equivalent.  

 

So, please keep us posted on how those tankers develop.  I just pre-ordered the Leffot #8 dovers, and am seriously considering stripping the glazing and going from there.  As an everyday shoe, they should have the character of everyday life.

post #72266 of 122416
I dunno, I like my glazing
post #72267 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 

I believe I've had these for almost four years. I typically use them when there is some rain in the forecast (I'm such a wuss with my shells when rain is coming). When the time comes, I will resole them with dainite soles.  These pics are not great but the shoe is.  Found them BNIB on ebay for $275.  They were my second Alden purchase.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:

 

They are next to my Alden for J Crew Tobacco waxed LWB...  Cigar and ravello are below for a color comparison.

 

 

I highly recommend them if you are looking for a comfortable pair of non-shell shoes, esp. if you can find them on sale for around $300

 

 

Thanks ReppTiePrepster, very helpful and much appreciated.

post #72268 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

That is an AA width, a full 4 widths narrower than your D width. Although you mentioned going up 1/2 size to accommodate this, in the end 4 widths will be too much to overcome, IMO.

Pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks.
post #72269 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

I dunno, I like my glazing

me too. It is the main reason of what I like about Alden shell compared to other shell.If I were going to strip down that tanker I would simply buy something like a #8 shell boot from Rancourt which has a more similar finish to start with.

post #72270 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post
 

me too. It is the main reason of what I like about Alden shell compared to other shell.If I were going to strip down that tanker I would simply buy something like a #8 shell boot from Rancourt which has a more similar finish to start with.

I personally wouldn't buy it from Rancourt. Poly insoles on their boots are a dealbreaker for me.

 

Their handsewns are wonderful though

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.