or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4814  

post #72196 of 122416
I took delivery of these Alden for J.Crew Cadet shoes today..... I know some here don't like the fact that they are a blucher with a cap toe, but I like them....

009_zps2532c21b.jpg

012_zps5f492031.jpg

015_zps243be163.jpg

020_zpsd5f5953a.jpg

023_zps512db253.jpg

025_zpsb477d687.jpg
post #72197 of 122416

I live in Newport News, VA.  We rarely get more than a few snow flurries each winter.  Last night we received nearly 10" of snow.  Normally this would be an exciting thing, but today I was expecting a box from Adam at Alden of Carmel.  So why should snow matter?  I stand by my belief that the state of Virginia owns a single snow plow that is shared by the cities, towns, and counties.  Seeing the snow-packed roads and thinking the worst, I started to get nervous that the UPS truck wouldn't show up or that it was flipped over somewhere and my package was buried in a snow drift or floating in the Chesapeake Bay. 

 

Then there was a knock at a the door and my wife returned inside with a cardboard box.  Inside was this:

 

I tried to play it cool, acting like I hadn't just been pacing around the house nervously for the past hour.  Then I opened opened the lid and pulled out these babies:

 

My new AF53s from Alden of Carmel.  They are beautiful.  I  have much appreciation and respect for Adam and his attention to customer service and, just as importantly, his eye for quality control.  They are flawless and spotless. 

 

But here's the rub.  I have been reading for the past year about the durable and rugged nature of shell, despite considering all my pairs of shell as Rembrandts.  Silly I know.  Then guys were posting pictures of their shell while doing yard work, stomping through snow, and covered in oyster juice and hot sauce.  As a result, I finally decided to buy the AF53s to be my hard-wearing, hard-working boots and I pulled the trigger.  Yet now that they are here, they are almost too pristine to beat up.  I'm just going to have to suck it up and wear them as originally intended.  All over the place.

 

Hope everyone is doing well,

Dave

post #72198 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironclad View Post
 

I live in Newport News, VA.  We rarely get more than a few snow flurries each winter.  Last night we received nearly 10" of snow.  Normally this would be an exciting thing, but today I was expecting a box from Adam at Alden of Carmel.  So why should snow matter?  I stand by my belief that the state of Virginia owns a single snow plow that is shared by the cities, towns, and counties.  Seeing the snow-packed roads and thinking the worst, I started to get nervous that the UPS truck wouldn't show up or that it was flipped over somewhere and my package was buried in a snow drift or floating in the Chesapeake Bay. 

 

Then there was a knock at a the door and my wife returned inside with a cardboard box.  Inside was this:

 

 

I tried to play it cool, acting like I hadn't just been pacing around the house nervously for the past hour.  Then I opened opened the lid and pulled out these babies:

 

My new AF53s from Alden of Carmel.  They are beautiful.  I  have much appreciation and respect for Adam and his attention to customer service and, just as importantly, his eye for quality control.  They are flawless and spotless. 

 

But here's the rub.  I have been reading for the past year about the durable and rugged nature of shell, despite considering all my pairs of shell as Rembrandts.  Silly I know.  Then guys were posting pictures of their shell while doing yard work, stomping through snow, and covered in oyster juice and hot sauce.  As a result, I finally decided to buy the AF53s to be my hard-wearing, hard-working boots and I pulled the trigger.  Yet now that they are here, they are almost too pristine to beat up.  I'm just going to have to suck it up and wear them as originally intended.  All over the place.

 

Hope everyone is doing well,

Dave

Those are truly beautiful. Wear them out, beat them up, grind them into the dust... and then show them some lovin every time you come home again.

 

I need a colour 8 boot

post #72199 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpac View Post
 

^You mean its not because you love us?! :)


You joke, but I actually value interacting with many of you!  Who else will I chat with about my favorite shoes?  The level of civility here is much higher than most other blogs/forums.  I appreciate all of the regulars here and those who choose to come aboard.

 

Much thanks all...

post #72200 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by anrobit View Post
 

Those are truly beautiful. Wear them out, beat them up, grind them into the dust... and then show them some lovin every time you come home again.

 

I need a colour 8 boot

:stirpot:

post #72201 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassyCanuck View Post

Well worn.
Not mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, I only read this thread to see ClassyCanuck's avatar!:slayer:

post #72202 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironclad View Post
 

I live in Newport News, VA.

 

Wow, they are awesome!!  I lived in Williamsburg many moons ago.  The Tidewater area is usually a pocket of warmer weather.  The entire East Coast could be under snow and ice and the Tidewater area would be sunny and 55'

 

Enjoy your boots often and in great health my friend!

post #72203 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironclad View Post
 

I live in Newport News, VA.  We rarely get more than a few snow flurries each winter.  Last night we received nearly 10" of snow.  Normally this would be an exciting thing, but today I was expecting a box from Adam at Alden of Carmel.  So why should snow matter?  I stand by my belief that the state of Virginia owns a single snow plow that is shared by the cities, towns, and counties.  Seeing the snow-packed roads and thinking the worst, I started to get nervous that the UPS truck wouldn't show up or that it was flipped over somewhere and my package was buried in a snow drift or floating in the Chesapeake Bay. 

 

Then there was a knock at a the door and my wife returned inside with a cardboard box.  Inside was this:

 

I tried to play it cool, acting like I hadn't just been pacing around the house nervously for the past hour.  Then I opened opened the lid and pulled out these babies:

 

My new AF53s from Alden of Carmel.  They are beautiful.  I  have much appreciation and respect for Adam and his attention to customer service and, just as importantly, his eye for quality control.  They are flawless and spotless. 

 

But here's the rub.  I have been reading for the past year about the durable and rugged nature of shell, despite considering all my pairs of shell as Rembrandts.  Silly I know.  Then guys were posting pictures of their shell while doing yard work, stomping through snow, and covered in oyster juice and hot sauce.  As a result, I finally decided to buy the AF53s to be my hard-wearing, hard-working boots and I pulled the trigger.  Yet now that they are here, they are almost too pristine to beat up.  I'm just going to have to suck it up and wear them as originally intended.  All over the place.

 

Hope everyone is doing well,

Dave

 

Dave,

 

Congrats on the new boots. I loved the whole story that went with it. I too am a suspect of getting very "excited" about the magical green box.

 

I feel you with the whole beating them up thing. I love to pamper my shoes, especially at over $600 for a pair of shoes. Wear them around, enjoy them, and if they get a few scratches, roll with it. The nice thing to know, is that with a horse hair brush and some time, you can make them beautiful at any time... :-)

 

-Mike

post #72204 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 


You joke, but I actually value interacting with many of you!  Who else will I chat with about my favorite shoes?  The level of civility here is much higher than most other blogs/forums.  I appreciate all of the regulars here and those who choose to come aboard.

 

Much thanks all...

 

Repp, I am with you. Everyone I know thinks I am crazy because I like shoes, little do they know how much money I have invested in mere footwear. It is a nice relief to have others who appreciate the subtleties of the finer footwear that lasts.

 

-Mike

post #72205 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoit1981 View Post

Does anyone know how a Barrie lasted 13AA would fit? Would it work for a 12.5D? Sorry if this is a ridiculous question.

Not ridiculous.

I assume you are referring to an existing model, as Alden no longer makes any Barrie lasted models narrower than a B width (Alden's AA/B).

If, however, you are referring to a 13 AA/B (a B width), then yes, I think it will work.
post #72206 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post


Those Ravello Full-Straps are the pinnacle of the Ravello color. They look absolutely gorgeous.

I considered the Alden 9016 very seriously and own the Color 8 version (9015), but I decided that I wanted a different shape to the last.

-Mike

nephew,
thank you
I understand what you are saying
post #72207 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosicPa View Post

I took delivery of these Alden for J.Crew Cadet shoes today..... I know some here don't like the fact that they are a blucher with a cap toe, but I like them.... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
009_zps2532c21b.jpg

012_zps5f492031.jpg

015_zps243be163.jpg

020_zpsd5f5953a.jpg

023_zps512db253.jpg

025_zpsb477d687.jpg


nephew,
wear only in good health
post #72208 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironclad View Post

I live in Newport News, VA.  We rarely get more than a few snow flurries each winter.  Last night we received nearly 10" of snow.  Normally this would be an exciting thing, but today I was expecting a box from Adam at Alden of Carmel.  So why should snow matter?  I stand by my belief that the state of Virginia owns a single snow plow that is shared by the cities, towns, and counties.  Seeing the snow-packed roads and thinking the worst, I started to get nervous that the UPS truck wouldn't show up or that it was flipped over somewhere and my package was buried in a snow drift or floating in the Chesapeake Bay. 
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Then there was a knock at a the door and my wife returned inside with a cardboard box.  Inside was this:



I tried to play it cool, acting like I hadn't just been pacing around the house nervously for the past hour.  Then I opened opened the lid and pulled out these babies:

My new AF53s from Alden of Carmel.  They are beautiful.  I  have much appreciation and respect for Adam and his attention to customer service and, just as importantly, his eye for quality control.  They are flawless and spotless. 

But here's the rub.  I have been reading for the past year about the durable and rugged nature of shell, despite considering all my pairs of shell as Rembrandts.  Silly I know.  Then guys were posting pictures of their shell while doing yard work, stomping through snow, and covered in oyster juice and hot sauce.  As a result, I finally decided to buy the AF53s to be my hard-wearing, hard-working boots and I pulled the trigger.  Yet now that they are here, they are almost too pristine to beat up.  I'm just going to have to suck it up and wear them as originally intended.  All over the place.

Hope everyone is doing well,
Dave

nephew,
wear only in good health
post #72209 of 122416

Re: Straight Tip Blucher with unusual sole 

 

Hi everyone,

 

I am an Italian fan of Alden shoes and I wonder if someone can answer this.

 

The most common and "official" Straight Tip Blucher model looks like this. ( http://www.aldenshop.com/Store/DrawProducts.aspx?CategoryID=107&ParentID=94&PageID=&Action )

 

 

As you can see, the sole which "exceeds" the upper (where the stitches are visible) starting from the tip at a certain point starts becoming "aligned" with the upper, until it is completely under the upper where the heel is. As a consequence, for instance, it becomes not visible if you look at the shoe from above. The feel is of a somehow formal shoe. 

 

But there are a few shops that sells the following model (http://www.endclothing.co.uk/alden-straight-tip-blucher.html )

 

 

Here the "exceeding-the-upper" part of the sole is all around the shoe, including the heel part. Consequently such part is visible from above. The feel here is less formal. Those shops do not advise on this difference.

 

Does anyone know what happened here?

 

Truth is that a tried and loved at first sight the second model at a shop where I live (Italy), but then ordered them online from a shop in NY and when they arrived I realized they were the first "official" model, which I like very much anyway, but still I think I would have preferred the second "unusual" one.    

 

Thanks. 

post #72210 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by icepick74 View Post
 

Re: Straight Tip Blucher with unusual sole 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Hi everyone,

 

I am an Italian fan of Alden shoes and I wonder if someone can answer this.

 

The most common and "official" Straight Tip Blucher model looks like this. ( http://www.aldenshop.com/Store/DrawProducts.aspx?CategoryID=107&ParentID=94&PageID=&Action )

 

 

As you can see, the sole which "exceeds" the upper (where the stitches are visible) starting from the tip at a certain point starts becoming "aligned" with the upper, until it is completely under the upper where the heel is. As a consequence, for instance, it becomes not visible if you look at the shoe from above. The feel is of a somehow formal shoe. 

 

But there are a few shops that sells the following model (http://www.endclothing.co.uk/alden-straight-tip-blucher.html )

 

 

Here the "exceeding-the-upper" part of the sole is all around the shoe, including the heel part. Consequently such part is visible from above. The feel here is less formal. Those shops do not advise on this difference.

 

Does anyone know what happened here?

 

Truth is that a tried and loved at first sight the second model at a shop where I live (Italy), but then ordered them online from a shop in NY and when they arrived I realized they were the first "official" model, which I like very much anyway, but still I think I would have preferred the second "unusual" one.    

 

Thanks. 

 

There are so many more qualified people on here to answer this question. Since I'm up, however, I'll provide an initial response. The first model you are referring to seems to have a 270 degree flat welt (thus the closed heel) whereas the second has a 360 degree split-reverse welt. 

 

Generally, the 270 degree flat welt is a bit sleeker and, as you mentioned, more formal. The 360 split-reverse is certainly more casual. Different Alden retailers have different special make ups and sometimes leave it up to us customers to find exactly what we're looking for. As to the model names/numbers, I'll have to leave this to the more experienced members. 

 

Hope this helps! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.