or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4810  

post #72136 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldenfan View Post


Yo, thanks for yesterday's complement. Both pants are from NN.07. Yesterday was the simon slim fit twill cotton trouser and today is the James slim fit selvedge over dyed denim
post #72137 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post


True, but you read often across the forum (in other boot threads, in the Classic Menswear forum, etc) that cordovan is "less formal" than calf, "not ideal for dress shoes" or that it's not a "dress leather." Alden has been making dress shoes out of cordovan for bankers and lawyers for 70 years (first the tassel loafer, then balmorals and such), so I don't really understand this somewhat common comment.

The reason is that shell cordovan is historically a workwear leather, so it is less dressy than calf.

 

That does not mean that it cannot be used in dress shoes. Formality is a spectrum; I was merely saying that shell falls lower on that spectrum than calf

post #72138 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

Tifosi! Mah 4065 brotha, I even gave them a polish. Check out that bulled toe!
I know...I almost got blinded!
post #72139 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by anrobit View Post

The reason is that shell cordovan is historically a workwear leather, so it is less dressy than calf.

That does not mean that it cannot be used in dress shoes. Formality is a spectrum; I was merely saying that shell falls lower on that spectrum than calf

"Cordovan is less dressy than calf"

If you put an Alden black cordovan balmoral captoe and something like an Allen Edmond Park Avenue in black calfskin in front of people, 90% will say the cordovan is "dressier" because it will look shinier. To most people, the 9016 will look "nicer" than the Park Avenue and therefore be considered "dressier."

"Formality" is a bit of a different concept as some will say that the cordovan may be too "glowy," but very few people will really care. I will admit that black calfskin in chiseled, sleek lasts (Edward Green chelsea, whatever) will usually look more "formal" than almost any cordovan, but that doesn't make cordovan any less credible as a "dress leather."

I would argue in some models of boots, cordovan (such as the beloved captoe on grant or plaza) can look undeniably "dressier" than calfskin.Very long ago, cordovan may have been a "workwear" shoe (I don't really know what workwear is even after spending three years on the forum), but since the 1940s, cordovan has been used in dress shoes.

I'm not going after you specifically on this, I just think some of the styleforum conventional wisdom on this is incorrect
post #72140 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel28 View Post

Nice offer at J Crew! Thanks for the info gents.

Just placed an order for color 8 captoe boots in size 8H. Shipping is in May but at $533 how can I complain, right?happy.gif

Your profile say Toronto and yet the website says they can't ship Aldens internationally?
How'd you manage this great deal!
post #72141 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaker View Post

Your profile say Toronto and yet the website says they can't ship Aldens internationally?
How'd you manage this great deal!

I'm getting it shipped to my relatives in US. Can't wait to get these!
post #72142 of 122416


Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitedge View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Cordovan looks dressy to me...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


I believe that is more due do the style than the material. Personally.

 

And to add another layer to the discussion, I will argue the context as well.  If I wear my king tassels with no socks and light blue trousers, they become at least less dressy.  Black socks and grey flannels, they become more dressy.
 
I guess its not really the shoes becoming more/less dressy, rather the overall outfit.  Maybe what I am describing is better defined as versatility, but I think most out there will get where I am going.
 

 

 

 

Edit:  ...well, I guess they are still the same shoes regardless of what I wear them with.  That was an unexpected result.

post #72143 of 122416
post #72144 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post


"Cordovan is less dressy than calf"

If you put an Alden black cordovan balmoral captoe and something like an Allen Edmond Park Avenue in black calfskin in front of people, 90% will say the cordovan is "dressier" because it will look shinier. To most people, the 9016 will look "nicer" than the Park Avenue and therefore be considered "dressier."

"Formality" is a bit of a different concept as some will say that the cordovan may be too "glowy," but very few people will really care. I will admit that black calfskin in chiseled, sleek lasts (Edward Green chelsea, whatever) will usually look more "formal" than almost any cordovan, but that doesn't make cordovan any less credible as a "dress leather."

I would argue in some models of boots, cordovan (such as the beloved captoe on grant or plaza) can look undeniably "dressier" than calfskin.Very long ago, cordovan may have been a "workwear" shoe (I don't really know what workwear is even after spending three years on the forum), but since the 1940s, cordovan has been used in dress shoes.

I'm not going after you specifically on this, I just think some of the styleforum conventional wisdom on this is incorrect

I don't think saying "90% of peopel will say cordovan is dressier" is a valid argument. 90% of people don't even know what cordovan is, don't know anything about formality of shoes, and think I look great if I wear a suit and tie regardless of how badly it fits.

 

I never said cordovan could not be a leather for dress shoes, only that cordovan is less dressy than a calf shoe. The most casual cordovan shoe is more casual than the most casual calf shoe, and the most formal cordovan shoe is less formal than the most formal calf shoe.

post #72145 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by anrobit View Post

I don't think saying "90% of peopel will say cordovan is dressier" is a valid argument. 90% of people don't even know what cordovan is, don't know anything about formality of shoes, and think I look great if I wear a suit and tie regardless of how badly it fits.

I never said cordovan could not be a leather for dress shoes, only that cordovan is less dressy than a calf shoe. The most casual cordovan shoe is more casual than the most casual calf shoe, and the most formal cordovan shoe is less formal than the most formal calf shoe.
I disagree with the bold.
post #72146 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


I disagree with the bold.

To be honest, I think most are spoiled by Alden's shell finishing, and need to look at some other shell shoes. Although shell patinas wonderfully, it rarely looks as shiny as Alden's glaze.

post #72147 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchottie View Post

I spoke to Amanda... She found the code for me.

Sounds like you lucked out. I spent about 15 mins on the line with J.Crew and they were unable to find a code that works with Alden. Oh well!
post #72148 of 122416
Looking for some guidance here. I just got my Alden's from J Crew(first ever pair), and noticed a few things when I first opened the box. I wasn't sure if they were due to making them by hand, and it's normal, or if I am needing to send them back in hopes for a better looking pair. Thanks


post #72149 of 122416

That notch in the 1st pic is where the welt ends or something to that affect. I don't know the technical term so someone else should be able to clear that up. My captoe boots I got from Alden DC yesterday have the same notch on both shoes. I've seen them on AE shoes in the past and was hoping Aldens didn't have as big a notch, but it seems that they do.

post #72150 of 122416

^Alden 'notches' are often less clean than they should be.  I've got a couple of pairs of Trickers and they do a better job on that end.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.