or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4801  

post #72001 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post
 

 

Yes, having those items replaced should be very routine, and won't cost as much as a full resole.


MWS or any others, can you give an approximate range of reasonable prices one might expect to pay in person? My tassel loafers need new heels, and I have no clue how much a reasonable fee would be. ($20? $50? $80?)

post #72002 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqroot3 View Post
 


MWS or any others, can you give an approximate range of reasonable prices one might expect to pay in person? My tassel loafers need new heels, and I have no clue how much a reasonable fee would be. ($20? $50? $80?)

Allen Edmonds charges $50...so I'd expect it to be in that $50 range. A lot will depend on if you want a Dovetail JR heel = that will be more. I hope this helps :)
 
 
 
NEW HEELS
$50.00
 
Even this simple enhancement can make a huge difference in the longevity and feel of your Allen Edmonds shoes.
  • Remove worn heels
  • Replace heels with new leather heel bases and Allen Edmonds rubber top lifts
  • Trim Heels
  • Ink and burnish the edges
 
Before
 
Before
post #72003 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqroot3 View Post
 


MWS or any others, can you give an approximate range of reasonable prices one might expect to pay in person? My tassel loafers need new heels, and I have no clue how much a reasonable fee would be. ($20? $50? $80?)

 

It certainly depends on where you live, and from company to company.  I think the last time I paid a local cobbler for new heels, the price was $40.  But I think there is room for reasonable variation in that price.  As Tampa said, you can run up the price depending upon what you ask for as well. 

post #72004 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

My comments regarding the LWB were given more by way of explanation for why, if I could only choose one, it would be the 990 over the 975 and 563. As for which model is the quintessential model, a good argument can be made for all three, with, perhaps, the preponderance of the evidence (I couldn't resist) weighing in favor of the 563 inasmuch as it - the tassel loafer - was invented by Alden. The matter has resulted in a hung jury. Carry on. fistbump.gif

I recently purchased the BB (color 8) version of the 563, somewhat skeptical since I have always had mixed opinions on tassel loafers, but they have quickly become one of my favorite pairs. (Also, I really like the heel stitching, which is the only thing that differentiates the BB model from the 563).
post #72005 of 122416
I got these tobacco Ranger Moccs from Need Supply just before the New Year and they've been getting a lot of wear over the past couple of weeks with all the salt and slush, snow, and salt when I get tired of boots.


post #72006 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE88 View Post

Here's a side by side of a Barrie (left) and the Wolvernine Model 744 (right):



Judge for yourself which one you think looks better.

The 744 is 11D and the Barrie is a 10D.

The 744 feels narrower in the heel area than the Barrie, and has a roomier toebox. I personally find the 744's relatively narrower heel/wider toe box combo very comfortable. In order for me to get a proper fit in Barrie, primarily in the heel and arch areas, I've had to move to 10.5C, which appears visually longer than a size 11 744 boot (C width addresses most issues that I had with the Barrie last fit).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post


I wear barrie 10D and Wolverine 774 LTD 10.5D...  barrie is a MUCH better looking last than the 774


Thanks for the feedback, I do agree that the Barrie last is much more attractive.

The ShoeMart's notice of a pending price increase has forced my hand ... I opened a JCrew CC account and ordered myself the PCT in 8.5 before it too goes up.

My 8D 975 fits perfectly with dress socks so I bought the 8.5D PCT to account for the reported tighter fitting Barrie boot last. As usual, they are back-ordered and so I don't expect to see them until mid-May.
post #72007 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner View Post

I got these tobacco Ranger Moccs from Need Supply just before the New Year and they've been getting a lot of wear over the past couple of weeks with all the salt and slush, snow, and salt when I get tired of boots.
 

Are these full moccasin construction? If so, do you have a picture of the insole?

post #72008 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeebs View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

My comments regarding the LWB were given more by way of explanation for why, if I could only choose one, it would be the 990 over the 975 and 563. As for which model is the quintessential model, a good argument can be made for all three, with, perhaps, the preponderance of the evidence (I couldn't resist) weighing in favor of the 563 inasmuch as it - the tassel loafer - was invented by Alden. The matter has resulted in a hung jury. Carry on. fistbump.gif

I recently purchased the BB (color 8) version of the 563, somewhat skeptical since I have always had mixed opinions on tassel loafers, but they have quickly become one of my favorite pairs. (Also, I really like the heel stitching, which is the only thing that differentiates the BB model from the 563).

Good call.

The 563 and the 664 (and their BB counterparts) are classics.
post #72009 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner View Post

I got these tobacco Ranger Moccs from Need Supply just before the New Year and they've been getting a lot of wear over the past couple of weeks with all the salt and slush, snow, and salt when I get tired of boots. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


I picked these up too during the holidays when I saw the Need Supply deal as posted here. Really like them and I'm using it as my around the town beater shoe that I leave at the front door without trees. I work from home most days so it's a real effort to take my Aldens out of the closet just to drive down to the grocery store.

Since I got them for a really good price I don't care if I wear down the crepe sole too fast. I'm thinking of sending them to B. Nelson at some point to put a Dainite sole on them.
post #72010 of 122416

Breaking 'em in today:

 

 

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-mens_cap_toe_boot_shell_cordovan_color_8/pvc-ald-mxsb-4060_ald_m_cap_toe_boot_shell_cordovan.html

post #72011 of 122416
Damn, I love those boots! Wore mine yesterday. Enjoy!
post #72012 of 122416

Congrats they look great........they're on my short list

post #72013 of 122416

post #72014 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post


I own the 990 and the BB version. I really like them both. The BB version is dressier. Since the discussion was regarding quintessential models, it wouldn't have been right for me to mention a model (BB) based off another model (990). biggrin.gif

There are very few Alden models where color 8 would not be my first choice. However, the LWB is one of them (cigar). For the PTB and tassel, color 8 is easily my first choice.


My Alden BB PTB's in #8 shell with the lovely eyelets...were sent off to Alden for Recrafting on Jan 16th. Hopefully, I'll see them back on my feet within two more hair cuts. See...that sounds much better than 8 weeks.

 

They are certainly sleeker than the 990's for sure. However, these could easily be slipped by as the same pair of shoes - ya know, if you have to worry about certain people saying you buy too many shoes.

post #72015 of 122416
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post
 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Sweet Black LHS @Bakes11771 - Black Shell is so underrated

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.