or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4797  

post #71941 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdbitchh View Post
 

Excellent find (while they have been the topic of discussion here recently, they are very much underrated)!  Enjoy them often and in great health my friend... 

post #71942 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundersfc2 View Post
 

Does anyone know what color these are?

 


Tobacco (Alden for J Crew)...  pretty sure.  That's what these are...

 

The newer ones tend to be a little darker.  Mine are three to four years old.

post #71943 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 

Fine acquisition!  Are they Alden ravello?

 

Oh, yeah, I guess that I should have mentioned that... Of course they are! Is there any other way to go? :-)

 

-Mike

post #71944 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 


Tobacco (Alden for J Crew)...  pretty sure.  That's what these are...

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

The newer ones tend to be a little darker.  Mine are three to four years old.

 

Those look pretty sweet! You have done an insane job at maintaining them!

 

-Mike

post #71945 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 

Excellent find (while they have been the topic of discussion here recently, they are very much underrated)!  Enjoy them often and in great health my friend... 

thanks!

 

I know a lot of people on here only brush their cordovan shoes or use polish once in a blue moon. But would it hurt to polish them before wearing them for the first time? I picked up some alden color8 paste wax and out of the box they don't look very shiny. In fact my 2 year old black cordovan boots I wore into the store had a better shine to them than the display models never worn.

post #71946 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post
 

I picked these up from a fellow SFer last week, I have been brushing them vigorously to work on the scratches and the creases. I am very happy with where they have turned out. I brushed them about 30 minutes each the first time, then 15 minutes each, and then 5-10 min. Yesterday I put Reno and Saphir Clear Cordovan Cream on them and AE Natural Edge Dressing on them. I will continue to work on these guys over time... But a good enough start to get them rolling... :-)

 

 

 

 

 

-Mike

Awesome pick up!  Nothing like some TLC to bring out the best in shell!

 

See Ya,

Steve

post #71947 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdbitchh View Post
 

thanks!

 

I know a lot of people on here only brush their cordovan shoes or use polish once in a blue moon. But would it hurt to polish them before wearing them for the first time? I picked up some alden color8 paste wax and out of the box they don't look very shiny. In fact my 2 year old black cordovan boots I wore into the store had a better shine to them than the display models never worn.

I would say better to use some Saphir or Venetian to bring up the shine a bit at first and see if that does the trick before going with the wax.  

post #71948 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdbitchh View Post
 

Sorry. I didn't see this until after I left to head into the city.

 

I actually didn't stop in B. Nelson because I went to the Alden store on madison and ended up in there for a bit too long and needed to be at work after that.

 

I was looking for the 990 on commando sole and had called earlier in the week looking for a 9.5D but they said they were sold out in that size and would probably be recieving more by early summer. Someone on this forum told me that J. Gilbert was getting a shipment in around March so I called them to confirm and was going to do a pre order. But when I popped into the Alden store today to see if a size 9 would fit they  said they found a  size 9.5 in the back also (they seemed a bit disorganized).

 

Long story short...The guy who helped me out brought out both the 9D and 9.5D. After trying both on the size 9 seemed to fit better especially when tried with a thinner sock which they had on hand. Was happy I ended up buying them in person because I was ready to order the 9.5 from J. Gilbert. ( I have 2 other Aldens on the barrie last size 9.5). The guy who helped me said even though they are the same last depending on the shoe some fit a bit different.

 

 

 

Very nice shoe, an excellent choice.  Very versatile and one I plan to add to my collection.

 

See Ya,

Steve

post #71949 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post

 

Those look pretty sweet! You have done an insane job at maintaining them!

 

-Mike

Thanks Mike.  While I'd rather not spend $500+ for calf, this has been a really solid go-to shoe.  My first Alden purchase; I believe they were $465 at the time.

 

Strangely enough, I have not done much to maintain them.  I do not baby them like I do my shells.  I've conditioned and polished about once a year and they look even better; I suppose calf develops a patina also, right??  They are not as orange as they used to be.  (maybe the polish used??)

post #71950 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdbitchh View Post
 

thanks!

 

I know a lot of people on here only brush their cordovan shoes or use polish once in a blue moon. But would it hurt to polish them before wearing them for the first time? I picked up some alden color8 paste wax and out of the box they don't look very shiny. In fact my 2 year old black cordovan boots I wore into the store had a better shine to them than the display models never worn.

I wouldn't apply anything right out of the box.  Brushing and buffing with soft cotton cloth should shine them up nicely.  Others may say differently though.

[edit]: Your pics look like they have a nice shine.

post #71951 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post
 

I wouldn't apply anything right out of the box.  Brushing and buffing with soft cotton cloth should shine them up nicely.  Others may say differently though.

[edit]: Your pics look like they have a nice shine.

 

I personally don't polish mine out of the box, but here is an alternative perspective that I thought was interesting...

 

Reference:

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/care_of_shell_cordovan.htm

 

1. Using a fine cloth, apply a very thin layer of paste wax (not cream) on the shoes.  Rub this paste wax in very carefully for about 5 minutes.  Wait 1/2 hour and repeat process.  Then wait another 1/2 hour, and repeat process a third time.

2. After this, dip the same fine cloth in water, and rub thoroughly in a cicrular motion until the shine begins to appear.  (The cloth should not be really wet.  The cloth should just be dipped in water for a very short time, so that the cloth is damp.)  But if you rub thoroughly you should see a very thin film of water on the leather for a short time.

3. When dry, brush with a soft horse hair brush, then polish with a soft cloth.

 

For cleaning the shoes, use a damp cloth to remove dirt and dust, and a dry cloth for buffing the shoes.  This is all that is necessary.

 

Repeat this polishing process a few times a year, only when necessary.

 

This process should help guard your new shell cordovan shoes from water and the elements.

 

Just a different perspective. I live in San Diego, so the elments here is essentially sun... I don't deal with snow and don't see too much rain.

 

-Mike

post #71952 of 122416
Great looking shoe.... Looking forward to seeing how you like them since I am looking at this shoe in black. On the preorder for my size with AOC.
post #71953 of 122416

So just got back from picking up my ravello medallion cap toes from Alden DC (pictures later).  I saw these guys sitting out in the display - for all you 8.5D TTSers.  Whiskey shell 97285 from Alden SF.  Not sure how or why they're at Alden DC. but they're for sale for a bit over $700.  Just a piece offering for anyone I might have snatched the ravello cap toes from...

 

They're a darker rich whiskey like the finest single malt.

 

 

post #71954 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by thams View Post
 

So just got back from picking up my ravello medallion cap toes from Alden DC (pictures later).  I saw these guys sitting out in the display - for all you 8.5D TTSers.  Whiskey shell 97285 from Alden SF.  Not sure how or why they're at Alden DC. but they're for sale for a bit over $700.  Just a piece offering for anyone I might have snatched the ravello cap toes from...

 

They're a darker rich whiskey like the finest single malt.


 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Thams,

 

Congrats on your pickup of the Ravello Cap Toe! I hope that you enjoy them... Please post some pictures of your new shoes, I am excited to see how they turned out despite me opting out of purchasing them.

 

Alden DC has the "ownership" over the Tremont lasted Whiskey Balmoral. Alden SF used to do them as well in the past, but now only DC does them...

 

-Mike

post #71955 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRK33 View Post

On the topic of resoling, does anyone know if B. Nelson (or if not, anyone else) carries Alden's double waterlock sole? Thanks.

BNelson carries the same waterloc sole that Alden uses.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.