You could call them shit-kickers and they're still amazing!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 10/25/15 at 6:54pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not? Last post on 4/4/14 at 1:25am in Classic Menswear
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4785
Styleforum Top Picks
My J Crew brown and tobacco LWBs (calf) are awesome shoes, but for full retail I would rather spend $150 more for shell. If you can get the calf for $300-400 I think they are great purchases; at $500+ it's a little overpriced. Nice pics, btw... wear in great health my friend!
My guess is these were items from past seasons that didn't sell and were released to a handful of ebay stores one of them is in Virginia and uses a couple of different usernames on the bay. I bought a pair of brown LWBs from the "Paisley Petunia" about three years ago (not sure if they are still around). They sell nothing but older j crew stock at about half the retail cost and sometimes much less. I have five pairs of J Crew suede PTBs and suede saddles I bought from them through ebay about 9 years ago. I purchased each of them for $25-$50 from the PP and they retailed for about $150-175 in previous seasons. If they are seconds I couldn't tell you how. They were my absolute favorite shoes until I wore them out (when I find what I like, I don't hold back); soles eventually worn down and fell off. Unfortunately there was no way to repair them. J Crew's newer versions are crap. This is why I decided to go with high quality, goodyear welted shoes. I tried various AE but they were much too uncomfortable. I picked up the Alden calf LWB and there was no turning back!
Sorry to ramble. I hope my personal story of Alden discovery and picking up cheap Alden for J Crew on ebay wasn't too off topic.
I don't get why most people prefer shell cordovan, I don't like the shine and I think they look too purplish. I definitely like the 2nd a lot more.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
This post reminded me of a 'conversation' my wife and I had a few days ago. I came home from work the other day to a pleasant early delivery surprise from TSM. The box was in the study which is where my closet and shoes reside. On the desk was 4 pair of color 8 shoes and my wife dared me to explain how any one was different from the other 3......
Even she conceded the obvious difference in the Epalaut Alt Weins, but she felt pretty confident that there were no differences in the other 3. Of course, it was a conversation that I welcomed as the differences to me were so obvious. The basketball equivalent of a layup.
The reason this post reminded me of the conversation is that of the four, the jcrew's on plantation are chunkier than the others and I would prefer that they were a little sleeker. However they are easily my most worn of the 4 precisely because of the purplish hue that you mention. I love that deep deep purple-ish patina they have developed. It really is a matter of taste and preference.
Kind of a long-winded way of saying don't try to figure out why others prefer one over the other. Buy what you like and if you're purchasing Alden's, it is highly unlikely that those you interact with on a daily basis will be anything but impressed.
Thank you. I do it a lot because I know there are soo few pictures out there. I think this forum produces 80% of Alden pics in the world.
great looking shine there namor. what did you use?
nice looking boots be.
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 6 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 11 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 13 minutes ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 26 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 41 minutes ago
- › BNIB Carmina Vegano Marron Single Monk Cap Toe Alcudia 7.5UK 46 minutes ago
- › Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions... 46 minutes ago
- › Can't remember name of high-end Web seller 48 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Porn Thread (Bespoke only) 50 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories