or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 479  

post #7171 of 122416

cigar indy boots
post #7172 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfoote303 View Post
It's not.
They're OK, but not made with welt construction so the support and comfort isn't on par.
I'd save up for the LHS in Cordovan. Yes, they're a lot more expensive but it would be the last loafer you ever have to buy.

Thanks. Looking closely I can see they are not welted. Unfortunate as I actually prefer the chunky style and high vamp. I may order them anyhow, as I'm looking at them like a beater shoe. BTW, your blog is a nice service and I may order a pair from Unionmade rather than Shoemart as sign of my appreciation for your efforts.
post #7173 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 View Post
Thanks. Looking closely I can see they are not welted. Unfortunate as I actually prefer the chunky style and high vamp. I may order them anyhow, as I'm looking at them like a beater shoe. BTW, your blog is a nice service and I may order a pair from Unionmade rather than Shoemart as sign of my appreciation for your efforts.

Thanks!
I'm always glad to help people with Alden questions.

I think the beefrolls will be perfect for that type of shoe. They do have a much more vintage penny loafer look too...

BTW, nice picture of Marfa!
post #7174 of 122416
Alden Indy while walking down one of my projects
[IMG]http://www.flickr.com/photos/34221889@N07/5152817050/
post #7175 of 122416

whiskey lhs
post #7176 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelw View Post

cigar indy boots
I REALLY, REALLY like the look of those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by number9dream View Post
Here's my Ravello NSTs. The color is actually darker and redder than I had expected (and what appears in photos)

Interesting. They look like cigar in the pic. Do you like the color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterInjax View Post
Alden Indy while walking down one of my projects
Nice! Interesting pic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelw View Post

whiskey lhs
I need to get something like this.
post #7177 of 122416
Interesting. They look like cigar in the pic. Do you like the color?


Yes, I do like the color. Although the picture makes them look as dark as cigar (the color in the photo is virtually identical to the cigar indys in the picture right above it), they are in fact several shades lighter --- very similar to the Allen Edmonds color "chili".
post #7178 of 122416
So, I just moved to the Pacific Northwest and am in the market for a pair of shell long wing bluchers (in either black or color 8). Problem is, I think I need that double waterloc sole, and I'm having difficulty finding a place that sells this specific combination. Can anybody help me out?
post #7179 of 122416
umm... I haven't seen that combination anywhere, so I would just get regular longwings and wear them. once the soles wear out after a couple of years, then get them re-soled with the type you like. changing the soles from regular leather to the oiled leather right when you get them would be an extreme waste of money IMO.
post #7180 of 122416
Hey guys, sorry if I'm going to open a can of worms here...but here goes: Do any of you fellas own C&J? If so, how would you compare it to Alden? I want to buy a pair just for kicks, but it seems like it's quite a hassle. No local stores carry them and to get them resoled, they need to be sent back to England.
post #7181 of 122416


phone pic - I think a nice camera may be on the Christmas list this year...
post #7182 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
Hey guys, sorry if I'm going to open a can of worms here...but here goes:

Do any of you fellas own C&J? If so, how would you compare it to Alden? I want to buy a pair just for kicks, but it seems like it's quite a hassle. No local stores carry them and to get them resoled, they need to be sent back to England.

Yes. You know most of the Ralph Lauren made in England shoes are by C&J as well as many of the Brooks Bros ones (the others being Alfred Sergent).

C&J seem to be slightly better made than Alden but I stil like Alden better.
There's no requirement that you send them to England to be resoled.
post #7183 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post
Yes. You know most of the Ralph Lauren made in England shoes are by C&J as well as many of the Brooks Bros ones (the others being Alfred Sergent).

C&J seem to be slightly better made than Alden but I stil like Alden better.
There's no requirement that you send them to England to be resoled.
If they are better than Alden, even by a bit..why do you prefer Alden? Styling perhaps?

I want to try a pair of cap toe boots from C&J, but the turn off is the loop on the back of the shoes.

If you want them to be resoled by C&J themselves, you would have to send them back to England, no? Unless they have a satellite site in the states.
post #7184 of 122416
Of course, but they dont HAVE to be resoled by C&J...
post #7185 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
If they are better than Alden, even by a bit..why do you prefer Alden? Styling perhaps?

I want to try a pair of cap toe boots from C&J, but the turn off is the loop on the back of the shoes.

If you want them to be resoled by C&J themselves, you would have to send them back to England, no? Unless they have a satellite site in the states.


lots of people like Made in USA.

also, it's not like there are exact like models to choose from in lots of cases. C&J doesn't make anything close to an Indy, I don't think they make longwings, they don't use whiskey or ravello shell, their shell offerings in general are more limited, etc

flip side is they have other styles

also, alden, though not easy, is easier to try on in person in the US

really, you should be asking questions like, if I want a burgundy cordovan PTB, should I go with the Alden 9901 or the C&J Ashdown?

otherwise it's kind of a silly question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.