or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4776  

post #71626 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdbitchh View Post
 

Im thinking of getting a PTB for my next Alden purchase most likely a 990 or a colloboration version with antique trim compared to the stock dark edging.

 

After looking at a bunch of models online I had a quick question.

 

What is the difference between the PTB with the stitching that goes all the way down to the sole and the other PTB style such as the 990. Is that the only thing that makes the 2 styles different or is there something else I may be missing 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

vs

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

the 990 where the stitching stops up around the laces.

 

I realize these two pictures are on a different last but I believe both styles are made on the barrie as well

The top picture is of a dover.  The cordovan version of the dover tends to be unlined cordovan.  I believe the picture of the dover you have is an unlined cordovan dover from Leather Soul.  If I am right, I think that dover is, in fact, on the barrie 

 

 Because of the lack of lining, the dover tends to crease more than the PTB.  The unlined cordovan dover is on a single leather sole whereas the 990 is on a double leather sole.  Because of the lack of lining and single leather sole, the dover tends to be more casual than the 990 (although neither is a dress shoe like the captoe blucher) and the unlined cordovan and single leather sole requires less break in than the 990.  In addition, people report that the unlined cordovan tends to fit a little more snugly than the the same size 990.   The unlined cordovan dovers tend to look a little sleeker than the 990s.

post #71627 of 122416
New Aldens @ Volls.de. Is that a natural/raw leather on the Indy's?? Looks cool.

http://www.life-time-gear.com/2014/01/new-alden-order-volls.html

post #71628 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post


Both are on the Barrie last. The Dover (first picture) is unlined. The shoes, in terms of overall feel, are completely different. I am not aware of any retailer currently offering the unlined Dover version.

 

When I was in Alden DC a few weeks ago they had some #8 dovers with dark edging.  Can't say what sizes they had, but Kathy made it seem like they had at least a few pairs in stock.  

post #71629 of 122416
#8 tassels at the end of the day.





-Mike
post #71630 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitelaw View Post

havent seen cigar

ravello tho



i own these...they are my favorite pair of alden's by far. i definitely want the #8 version
post #71631 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


That is a current practice for LS. At least as of about 9 months ago when I placed a deposit.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse View Post


Yep, and this has been their policy for a while. My pre-order from 2 years ago required a $100 deposit.

Thanks for the info.

post #71632 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr chorizo View Post

i own these...they are my favorite pair of alden's by far. i definitely want the #8 version

missed out on this pair have regretted it ever since, thanks alot kwhitelaw, my nemesis, you are chicken, i am peter griffin (punch in face, break glass, roll out onto street)
post #71633 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldenwear View Post

The top picture is of a dover.  The cordovan version of the dover tends to be unlined cordovan.  I believe the picture of the dover you have is an unlined cordovan dover from Leather Soul.  If I am right, I think that dover is, in fact, on the barrie 

 Because of the lack of lining, the dover tends to crease more than the PTB.  The unlined cordovan dover is on a single leather sole whereas the 990 is on a double leather sole.  Because of the lack of lining and single leather sole, the dover tends to be more casual than the 990 (although neither is a dress shoe like the captoe blucher) and the unlined cordovan and single leather sole requires less break in than the 990.  In addition, people report that the unlined cordovan tends to fit a little more snugly than the the same size 990.   The unlined cordovan dovers tend to look a little sleeker than the 990s.

Wow, nice explanation. Thanks.
post #71634 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdbitchh View Post
 

Im thinking of getting a PTB for my next Alden purchase most likely a 990 or a colloboration version with antique trim compared to the stock dark edging.

 

After looking at a bunch of models online I had a quick question.

 

What is the difference between the PTB with the stitching that goes all the way down to the sole and the other PTB style such as the 990. Is that the only thing that makes the 2 styles different or is there something else I may be missing 

 

vs

the 990 where the stitching stops up around the laces.

 

I realize these two pictures are on a different last but I believe both styles are made on the barrie as well

 

I have the Dovers (brown chromexcel) and I personally think they look sleeker (and nicer) than the standard PTB.

 

Off topic, but can anyone tell me how the Snap last fits compared to the Aberdeen?  If I get heel slip on the Aberdeen, will I also get it with the Snap?  I've heard the Snap fits similar to the Hampton, if anyone has had experience with that last...

 

Thanks in advance.

post #71635 of 122416
Finally left the house today to run some errands wearing my Ravello LWBs

post #71636 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdbitchh View Post
 

Im thinking of getting a PTB for my next Alden purchase most likely a 990 or a colloboration version with antique trim compared to the stock dark edging.

 

After looking at a bunch of models online I had a quick question.

 

What is the difference between the PTB with the stitching that goes all the way down to the sole and the other PTB style such as the 990. Is that the only thing that makes the 2 styles different or is there something else I may be missing 


 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

vs

 

 

the 990 where the stitching stops up around the laces.

 

I realize these two pictures are on a different last but I believe both styles are made on the barrie as well

I have the Leather Soul variation called the Nassau. 

It is lined, 4 eyelet, but like the Dover in pattern. 

The other difference is that it has a flat welt, making it slightly more sleek. 

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2011/01/30/alden-shoes-shell-cordovan-nassau-blucher-lsw/

There are many subtle varieties out there. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Regardless of what you choose, I am sure you'll get a great shoe that will last a lifetime.

post #71637 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post


I'm guessing you've seen these, but just in case...

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/Shoes-Black_Medallion_Toe_Boot_319.htm

I think they even have your size available for the pre-order (9.5E).

[Edit]  Oops, I forgot you were Barrie 9.5E  I just saw that you were 10E in plaza.  Sorry my friend...
I too would like a dressy black boot on commando. Unfortunately, I don't like that AoC medallion boot. It is, IMHO, missing a Captoe which if it had, then it might be perfect.
post #71638 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLVol View Post

so.....I just got my scotch grain chukkas from the Union Made sale.....they look great but each boot has a small pinhole along the back seam on the heel....the hole appears to be through the outside leather only as it cannot be seen or felt on the inside leather lining.....once worn I would imagine this would be an afterthought that will go unnoticed......is that something I should be overly concerned about?

they were on sale at $318 so they were priced closed to what seconds would be.....any suggestions?


My color 8 tanker boots have the same thing. Hardly noticeable. Must be something from the manufacturing process.
post #71639 of 122416
Black captoe boots
J Crew suit and Epaulet parka

post #71640 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbear View Post

I've said it once and I'll say it again.  If color 8 was as rare as the "rare shell" colors, it would be by far the most sought after and desirable color to own.  

some of alden's best makeups are the ones that are readily available
Agree 100%. My son is somewhat of a college prepster and very style conscious and likes traditional mens clothing so I value his style opinion. He knows about shell cordovan, and likes my Alden's but has no idea about any of the issues surrounding the "rare" colors. Recently I got a pair of Ravello NST boots. I really wasn't thrilled with their color upon receipt. I was disapointed and thought to myself Ravello may be over hyped. I showed them to my son and his uninitiated pure response was " I don't like the color but they'd be great if they were the burgundy color like your other Aldens. So that same day I sold them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.