I was very happy with how Alden restored my ravello tassels
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4763post #71431 of 1224161/21/14 at 1:36pmpost #71432 of 1224161/21/14 at 1:37pmpost #71433 of 1224161/21/14 at 1:39pmpost #71434 of 1224161/21/14 at 1:40pm
I don't have any photos with me, but I requested Alden restore the shoe without any "redyeing." The shoe returned with what looked to be a new glazing, new soles, etc. The color was preserved. I was worried that they may dye them much darker. Now my ravello tassels were of the very dark variety to begin with, but I was encouraged with how seamless the process went. Contact Alden, they send you a bag, you get shoes back 6 weeks later.post #71435 of 1224161/21/14 at 1:42pmpost #71436 of 1224161/21/14 at 2:02pmQuote:
I live in a snowy, icy climate that can lead to treacherous walking even when I must wear a suit (and they are conservative ones). Previously, in those times when I had to dress, I took my chances and slid around on Alden double leather soles.
i am not getting any younger, but am getting smarter: This Fall I bought a pair of cordovan shortwings with commando sole from Alden of Carmel to wear in the Winter when I must wear a suit. This Winter I have had the need to wear them more extensively than I would like and I am as sure-footed as a mountain goat in the Andes.
Being shortwings on the Leyden last, they look just fine with suits. While I would not choose to wear commando soled shoes with suits in normal conditions, I don't think it is any more obvious than with dainite soles and they certainly look more appropriate with suits than snow boots.post #71437 of 1224161/21/14 at 2:17pm
Alden Indy Boots, Natural CXL, Modified Last. Not that you can tell. These are LP'd and my feet were nice and dry! I highly recommend LP'ing CXL if you're going to wear it into weather, wetness, etc. Going to be too much snow later for the height of these boots though, so switching to my 10" Bean Boots.post #71438 of 1224161/21/14 at 2:34pmpost #71439 of 1224161/21/14 at 2:36pmQuote:The AoC black shell medallion toes are a beautiful make-up. The only problem is they're not available in my size.Originally Posted by bkotsko
Boot + commando, but ......sleek, IMO
I would wear this with a suit and not think twice.
post #71440 of 1224161/21/14 at 3:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by bassplayrr
Well, my new 9015s (color 8 cords; perf tip bal) came in yesterday. Unfortunately, they're just too big. Depending on the last, I'm right between a 9.5D and 10D for Aldens (9.5D Indy, 10D in Chukka and 966), so I gambled with a 10D on these. The toe box in these with the Hampton last is just too large to be comfortable. Lesson learned. On the bright side, the customer service over at The Alden Shop in San Francisco has been top notch. I just got off the phone with Michael over there, and he'll be shipping (via 2-day) a new pair in 9.5D immediately, prior to receiving the returned pair. I'm in Dallas now (originally from S.F.) so this is really appreciated. Without the quick turnaround I could be looking at 10 business days to get the new pair. Good stuff.
Congrats on your 9015 acquisition. Hope the 9.5's work out for you. I've got a pair of 9015 that are at least 15 years old and the uppers still look great. The next time I need a new sole, I'll probably send them in for restoration since the lining around the heel is showing significant wear.
I live in Dallas. The only local store I've found with a decent selection of Aldens in stock (and certainly not to the extent of Alden of SF/NY/DC, etc.) is Culwell and Sons. Nice guys, but I'm pretty sure they mark up their shoe prices slightly above retail. Bought a pair of tan unlined chukkas from them (special order, not in stock) about two years ago and noticed they charged me an extra $10 or $15 above retail. They did the same when I special ordered a pair of Bill's Khakis. Not sure if it's a special order upcharge or if they charge over retail across the board.
I would prefer to buy local, but am not willing to pay a premium to do it.post #71441 of 1224161/21/14 at 3:10pm
Whiskey Saddle for $425 in a couple sizes, but I guess after the discussion yesterday no one wants whiskeypost #71442 of 1224161/21/14 at 4:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by mtc2000
De-glazed #8 Tanker with one coat of Renovateur and about one minute of brushing. Comparison with a new #8 shoe.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Wow these turned out great. Saw this same technique in a Ron Rider blog post:
Did any color/dye variations even out after you stripped them and applied Renovateur?
If not, perhaps creme polish would add a bit of color to even it all out?
Was considering doing this to fade one of the "dye stains" on my color 8s,
but will probably hold off until they look closer to the pair in the blog.post #71443 of 1224161/21/14 at 6:03pmpost #71444 of 1224161/21/14 at 6:13pmpost #71445 of 1224161/21/14 at 6:14pm
This thread is locked
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 24 seconds ago
- › Cars We Drive! 39 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 1 minute ago
- › SPERRY Original Two-Eye Cyclone Boat Shoe 1 minute ago
- › PARKA LONDON Coated Fishtail Parka with removable liner - Sage Small 2 minutes ago
- › Shoes Carmina Albaladejo tan penny Loafers 80191. Size 9 UK NEWS 2 minutes ago
- › Belstaff Jacket Streetmaster black color, size L (50) 3 minutes ago
- › Alfred Sargent for J.Crew Black Captoe Oxfords Sz 8.5/10.5 3 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Begg & Co Navy and White Scarf and Cappelli burnt orange... 4 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...