or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 4719  

post #70771 of 122416
A black calfskin captoe oxford is more "formal" than basically any cordovan shoe, but a black cordovan shoe in the same style is formal enough for more or less 100% of business situations. I don't see any difference in formality between brown/burgundy calfskin or any of the brown/burgundy cordovan shades in the same style.
post #70772 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse View Post


You just missed a pre-order that Alden NYC was offering. I think I got the last spot about a month ago when I reserved my size, but give them a call just to double check.

Thanks. I will send an email to inquire the pre-order to double check. Thanks!

post #70773 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeSpiffington View Post

...from the Terrace of the Infinite of course. Sazon you are man of the world. Dapper, well shod, and cultured.

Sir, as are you!
post #70774 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound35 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi View Post

Yet another pair of Aldens. My 7th maybe? I've lost count of them. 3rd Alden shell pair in any case.

A rare cap-toe blucher model (with double leather sole) which fit me very nicely and look exquisite. They are the most versatile shoes I can imagine right now. However, I'm a bit concerned about having too many pairs of shoes already and of course I invested a considerable amount of money in them, so it would be a pity if I wouldn't use them much. I'm kind of afraid that longwings and other shoes that fit my style best marginalize them.

Your thoughts?


Only one man's opinion, but here goes...

My casual workplace precludes me from having much use for many pairs of dress shoes. But, even if I did have the opportunity to wear dress shoes more often, I don't think I'd buy/wear a captoe blucher. Its very existence seems rather odd duck to me; to me, straight captoe says "dress shoe" and blucher says "casual shoe". Obviously, the double sole and the cordovan take it down a level or two on the the formality scale; but, even with that combo, I still find the straight cap blucher "off". I realize I'm probably in the minority, but I'm even put off by most punch cap bluchers, though not as much as straight cap bluchers.

For professional business dress, the shell cordovan captoe blucher may be the single most versatile model in a man's closest.
post #70775 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi View Post

Yet another pair of Aldens. My 7th maybe? I've lost count of them. 3rd Alden shell pair in any case.

A rare cap-toe blucher model (with double leather sole) which fit me very nicely and look exquisite. They are the most versatile shoes I can imagine right now. However, I'm a bit concerned about having too many pairs of shoes already and of course I invested a considerable amount of money in them, so it would be a pity if I wouldn't use them much. I'm kind of afraid that longwings and other shoes that fit my style best marginalize them.

Your thoughts?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Tommi, these really are a versatile style. A colleague of my fathers, who wore nothing but handmade shoes his whole life, always seemed to be wearing this shoe in either a black or dark burgundy brown. He said he preferred derby's over oxfords because he liked to walk a lot and they allowed for foot swelling over a long day or a big meal. What style and last are those and where did you get them? Very nice!
Edited by BeSpiffington - 1/10/14 at 2:15pm
post #70776 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

For professional business dress, the shell cordovan captoe blucher may be the single most versatile model in a man's closest.

Could you elaborate on the difference in formality and use case of the cordovan captoe blucher versus the cordovan captoe balmoral (either in punch or straight tip)? I'm curious as to your thoughts.

I guess I've worn my black captoe shell boots with suits, so I should have no issue with the blucher...
post #70777 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post

Sir, as are you!
Thank you sir. In spite of the vagaries of circumstance we try.
post #70778 of 122416

Hey folks, 

 

I wear a 9D captoe boots on the barrie last. They fit me great.

However when the laces are not tied using the hooks (so just using the bottom holes), I feel like my heels could slip.

 

Of course nobody wears his boots like this but I tried this to imagine how a ptb would fit since I plan to purchase the 990. 

 

So, Do you think I should take another width size for the ptb like 9C or the shoes in 9D will likely fit me (still barrie last) ?

post #70779 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post


That is correct. I just got the PTBs last week, but have had the LHS and LWBs for about a month. With the holidays I didn't wear Alden's as much, as I mainly wear them to work.

Other shoes that I have that not ventured out yet is:
-Cigar LWB (although they have been carpet broken in)
-Color 8 Full Strap
-AE Snuff Suede Chukka
-C&J for RL Gianni Boot

I *think* that is all. I like to photograph my shoes before I wear them at my conference table in my office at work and sometimes it takes me time to do that.

-Mike

If you keep acquiring shoes at the rate that you are going, you are going to end up having a lot of shoes.  (You probably already do!)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV988 View Post
 

A photo of the town of Ravello that I took a couple of years ago:

 

 

It's funny that you are the one that took that picture, because it always comes up in google image searches for "Ravello". (And why wouldn't it)

post #70780 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeSpiffington View Post


Did you see the Villa Cimbrone and the Villa Rufolo?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post

^ One of the most beautiful places I've ever been. They chose a worthy name for that shade. Which seems to match many-a-rooftop.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV988 View Post
 

A photo of the town of Ravello that I took a couple of years ago:

 

AppleMark

 

Darn you guys!!! I have always really wanted to go to Italy!!! Now you guys are making it even more tempting. That looks absolutely beautiful and just searching the Internet and Wiki about Ravello, Italy, it just looks magnificent. Maybe I should have another Ravello week, but this time Ravello, Italy! :-)

 

Have a good one.

 

-Mike

post #70781 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikW View Post
 

Did anyone jump on the "Choco Suede Tanker" from Leathersoul? I'm curious what they look like in action (http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2013/12/21/alden-shoe-choco-suede-tanker-restock-lsw-ii/)

Got these last time LS offered them.

post #70782 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

For professional business dress, the shell cordovan captoe blucher may be the single most versatile model in a man's closest.

Could you elaborate on the difference in formality and use case of the cordovan captoe blucher versus the cordovan captoe balmoral (either in punch or straight tip)? I'm curious as to your thoughts.

I guess I've worn my black captoe shell boots with suits, so I should have no issue with the blucher...

This is how I wear them (others may see it differently - no problem).

shell captoe bal - just suits
shell captoe blucher - suits, or any number of ensembles involving shirt and tie, wool trousers, sport coat, blazer, merino wool button up vest, sweater, etc.; I do not wear them casually

Traditional rules of fashion say bals only with suits. While I have no problem if another adheres to this, I do not - there are entirely too many blucher models (and monks - say, EG Westminster) that are at least as dressy, if not dressier, than various bals. To say nothing of the fact that nearly all men (and I seriously mean that) don't even know the difference between a bal and blucher.

I virtually never wear Barrie lasted shoes with suits.

I don't wear boots with suits, but it can be pulled off if the overall ensemble is right.

On the formality scale, a black calf captoe bal and a black shell captoe bal ( and I have both) finish in a dead heat for all practical purposes. Indeed, I dare say more people "on the street" - if the two were compared - would select the shell version as more formal, if only on shine alone.

Gents: have a good weekend.
post #70783 of 122416

My favorite were these. Sadly they went back to TSM for refund after 3-4 months of trying to fix the finish.

 

 

 

 

 

Most coveted would likely be Roguls' cigar PT boot from Anatomica (not sure if I have the details right).

 

Roguls Cigar Alden makeup from Anatomica

 

Lastly, my Jcrew PCT's get a lot of wear, especially this time of year.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lastly, lastly...these non-aldens have become my go-to for rain and snow due to the dainite sole.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

Edited to add:

 

I just got busted by a 10 and 7 yr old yelling, "Daddy, come on! It's Friday night, pizza night, movie night! Stop looking at shoes on your computer!"

 

They are absolutely right. Have a nice weekend all. Percy Jackson & pizza await.

post #70784 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

My favorite were these. Sadly they went back to TSM for refund after 3-4 months of trying to fix the finish.











Most coveted would likely be Roguls' cigar PT boot from Anatomica (not sure if I have the details right).

Roguls Cigar Alden makeup from Anatomica


Lastly, my Jcrew PCT's get a lot of wear, especially this time of year.












Lastly, lastly...these non-aldens have become my go-to for rain and snow due to the dainite sole.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)







Edited to add:

I just got busted by a 10 and 7 yr old yelling, "Daddy, come on! It's Friday night, pizza night, movie night! Stop looking at shoes on your computer!"

They are absolutely right. Have a nice weekend all. Percy Jackson & pizza await.

Great shots.......even better story. Enjoy pizza night.
post #70785 of 122416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post


This is how I wear them (others may see it differently - no problem).

shell captoe bal - just suits
shell captoe blucher - suits, or any number of ensembles involving shirt and tie, wool trousers, sport coat, blazer, merino wool button up vest, sweater, etc.; I do not wear them casually

Traditional rules of fashion say bals only with suits. While I have no problem if another adheres to this, I do not - there are entirely too many blucher models (and monks - say, EG Westminster) that are at least as dressy, if not dressier, than various bals. To say nothing of the fact that nearly all men (and I seriously mean that) don't even know the difference between a bal and blucher.

I virtually never wear Barrie lasted shoes with suits.

I don't wear boots with suits, but it can be pulled off if the overall ensemble is right.

On the formality scale, a black calf captoe bal and a black shell captoe bal ( and I have both) finish in a dead heat for all practical purposes. Indeed, I dare say more people "on the street" - if the two were compared - would select the shell version as more formal, if only on shine alone.

Gents: have a good weekend.

I support this ascertain entirely

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post
 

My favorite were these. Sadly they went back to TSM for refund after 3-4 months of trying to fix the finish.

This is how a Spoiler is used! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

Most coveted would likely be Roguls' cigar PT boot from Anatomica (not sure if I have the details right).

 

Roguls Cigar Alden makeup from Anatomica

 

Lastly, my Jcrew PCT's get a lot of wear, especially this time of year.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lastly, lastly...these non-aldens have become my go-to for rain and snow due to the dainite sole.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Edited to add:

 

I just got busted by a 10 and 7 yr old yelling, "Daddy, come on! It's Friday night, pizza night, movie night! Stop looking at shoes on your computer!"

 

They are absolutely right. Have a nice weekend all. Percy Jackson & pizza await.

Pat, I think I remember you saying you achieved this shine with just a brush and cloth, but no product, is that right?  I can't help but doubt that you didn't use any wax.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.